Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

"Protective" vests-WTF???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 04:42 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Another change, OPNAVINST 5100.12H, does NOT require the wearing of a vest at night. It's now an OR. Reflective jacket or reflective vest.

My jackets are mainly gray, and have reflective material, so my Hi-vis vest is in the closet.
Old 09-18-2008, 06:15 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Conspicuity Super See-Me Vest

I've been wearing a http://www.conspicuity.us/vests.htm Super See-Me (the blacked out mesh version and orange-yellow chevron pattern) over my assortment of mesh, perforated, solid & Stich' gear for over 20 years; whenever I ride. That along with a neon (pre-LED) auxilary brake light license plate surrond, reflective stickers on rear & helmet plus headlight modulator make me stand out to cagers though I still ride like I'm invisible and do not adhere to road rules if I need to "disappear" (if you are not there, they cannot kill you). An added it benefit is the fuzz mistake me for a "legal eagle" and while I raise an eyebrow when I roll by, I rarely get a second look and get stopped very much less so. I've considered the armored body shirts and tights for under my normal gear (with their armor removed) but have not taken the plunge.
Old 11-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Squid

mn.cadena is on a distinguished road
I wear it when I drive my truck.
Old 11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
On a Jonda, or a Hondo...
Squid

txrb182sc is on a distinguished road
Dude I saw this guy wearing an ACH the other day, he had taken the ACU cover off and was riding a beat up, loud as **** old Harley with ape hangers high as a ****. I'm pretty sure that's not legal; but he did have the Army approved reflective vest.

Mebbe he thinks being able to mount his NODs on his helmet during night riding is a plus?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:47 PM
SuperBike

I'm starting a new thread for a group (forum member) buy on an armored shirt.....if your interested, pipe up so I have a count when I contact the vendor.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:43 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
http://www.newenough.com/protective_...le_jacket.html

Thoughts on this?

Fish
Old 01-17-2009, 05:21 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Fish
I wear a super see-me vest which is a pain but can wear it over anything or not. The Joe Rocket Recon Military Spec Textile Jacket is gimicky and offers little real protection and is made for servicemen/women who must wear a vest but don't to bother with an extra vest. I can't see how it is not a real pita.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:53 AM
Remember stock is BAD!
SuperSport
SuperSport

divingindaytona is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by skokievtr
I wear a super see-me vest which is a pain but can wear it over anything.
I also wear a vest from 5pm on and I agree.

Originally Posted by skokievtr
The Textile Jacket is gimicky.....I can't see how it is not a real pita.
+1
Old 01-18-2009, 08:24 AM
Back Marker

Fish is on a distinguished road
When I was in the Navy I wore a black vest with reflective stripes....but always carried the regulation in coat pocket to prove it said nothing about vest must be orange.

After the new regs came out had the gate at Amphib Base Coronado gave me crap while wearing my Black/White/gray/blue/red Vanson full leathers with reflective pin stripes.....again....whipped out the regs. He said he hadn't seen the new ones and asked for a copy. Told'm, for all the crap he gave me to look'm up himself !

Fish
Old 01-18-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
I hear ya Fish. I got stopped at the Main gate, told I could wear my black Mesh jacket. Mind you, it was Noon and I ride a yellow bike. They pulled out some color chart that wasn't part of the instruction.

They've since had multiple trainings and are now informed about the new instruction.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:58 AM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Fish
When I was in the Navy I wore a black vest with reflective stripes....but always carried the regulation in coat pocket to prove it said nothing about vest must be orange.

After the new regs came out had the gate at Amphib Base Coronado gave me crap while wearing my Black/White/gray/blue/red Vanson full leathers with reflective pin stripes.....again....whipped out the regs. He said he hadn't seen the new ones and asked for a copy. Told'm, for all the crap he gave me to look'm up himself !

Fish
I wear a super-seeme which is a black vest with reflective & bright colored chevrons. Its to attract attention day or night, not just after dark.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Squid

waldrm is on a distinguished road
Ghey vest

The flak jacket look was made popular in several 50 Cent videos. It might look (and feel) cool, especially in the summer, but that's it. A look with no real useful protection.