SuperHawk Forum

SuperHawk Forum (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/)
-   Rider's Gear (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/)
-   -   "Protective" vests-WTF??? (https://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/riders-gear-38/protective-vests-wtf-11820/)

bluevtr 06-16-2007 10:47 AM

"Protective" vests-WTF???

Have been noticing the trend of riders wearing plastic vests, like the ICON. Just curious if anyone can offer a logical reason? I usually see these worn over t-shirts. Seems to me that in the event of a get-off, my belly button or the area between my shoulder blades would pretty much be the last area to actually make contact with anything, unless I became impaled on a street sign or something ; ) Obviously it's a fashon thing, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm getting old or something. Along the same lines, the "busa crowd are wearing these leather vests that look like a bulletproof vest, but with none of the benefits... kinda seems like wearing a full leather racing suit that is actually made of toilet paper, but looks real. Hmmmm

Birdoprey 06-16-2007 11:05 AM

but it looks good

SuperLoud 06-16-2007 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bluevtr (Post 57362)
Have been noticing the trend of riders wearing plastic vests, like the ICON.

Are you talking about the hi-vis vest? I think I heard the military bases are making riders wear those if the travel on base.

SD996 06-16-2007 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by SuperLoud (Post 57371)
Are you talking about the hi-vis vest? I think I heard the military bases are making riders wear those if the travel on base.

You're right, they hi-vis vests are required to ride on base. ICON makes a nice one. I think he's talking about something else though. I saw one this morning at the bike shop. It was black and looked like a millitary assault vest / fishing vest? :|

nuhawk 06-16-2007 02:34 PM

Mesh over armor makes the day in Central Texas. Almost everything that I have now is getting really hot. Humidity is running 60 and temps in the mid to upper 80's. I love my stuff and will not go out without it. It would be nice to extend the season with some stuff that really fit. The problem with mesh is that if there is an impact the shit shifts and doesn't protect the rider at all. If we could get something that fit like a set of shoulder pads on a football player and cinches at the waist and flares for hip protection below that - hell, ya - naked under that!

nuhawk 06-16-2007 03:39 PM

Let me correct that. I could be seen on my motorcycle in shorts (or less) with my knee/shin guards in place. Elbow/shoulder impact protection is must gear in my book. If I could strap this shit on an be confident about it - hell yeah!

E.Marquez 06-17-2007 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by SD996 (Post 57376)
You're right, they hi-vis vests are required to ride on base. ICON makes a nice one. I think he's talking about something else though. I saw one this morning at the bike shop. It was black and looked like a millitary assault vest / fishing vest? :|

Just a point of clarification..

the High visibility requirement (from whatever outer wear you want to use that meets the requirement) is required by Army, Navy and Marine personnel, ANY TIME, ANYWHERE they are riding. That and helmet, over the ankle leather foot wear, long pants and shirt sleeves, eye protection all are required personal protective equipment (PPE)

The Icon High Vis best is an easy way to meet the PPE requirement. But so is my daily riding jacket.

ICON also makes an Armor vest, for both off road and a street version.. I'd guess that is what is being seen. As a stand alone product for street wear?? Good luck to them,, Hope the skin graphs come out ok.

http://www.motorhelmets.com/pics-gen...-vest-2006.jpg

bluevtr 06-17-2007 04:59 AM

The above pic. is what I was referring to. I've seen even smaller ones that don't offer that level of back protection. Imagine a 12" triangle in front and back, held on with velcro. Sounds like a great way to grind your arms off on the pavement to me.

Corona Hawk 06-17-2007 07:28 PM

Icon

With the Field Armor you need to purchase the elbow protectors and naturally you should have gloves.
It was 104deg. today in Tucson, so I could understand why someone would wear this type of gear. I have been considering purchasing this type of gear but I am still checking out what else is available.
Nuhawk has made a valid point in the fact that with mesh it has the tendency to slip. That is why I am considering the Icon gear.
Until I make my final decision I wear a Joe Rocket leather/mesh jacket. It is still a little warm but it is better than nothing.

nuhawk 06-17-2007 09:37 PM

I'm still out in a leather jacket (perf'd but hot) gloves and knee/shin armor under my jeans with riding boots everytime I leave the office.

It's not the heat when you're on it's when you stop or have an off that all this is important. If armor was properly designed to be like a leather jacket for protection but the breathing capacity of mesh that would be the ticket for Southern riders.

I envision a group of hockey pucks held together with this mesh. The mesh is lined with something very thin that makes it easy to slip out of (like I said when you stop - you're hot).

I think these "truck armors" are cool but fail critically in a crash for protection. And the alternatives are shitty - Icon makes a great pair of elbow protectors that are heavy spandex material to hold it in place and this shit is as hot and inconvenient as it gets. I think there's a lot of room for riders in the South that could be better protected as the temps come up if the products were available.

But Summer down is here is just that. It's what the rest of y'all call winter. It happens here for a couple months and the AC bills get monsterous and then it's riding weather again in September. :lol:

Tonyizcool1 07-03-2007 07:02 PM

looks like something from a moto x shop. Hmm not sure how well that vest thing would work.

Darkone22 07-03-2007 09:33 PM

If i was going to wear a vest it would be this one.

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...5-ALP05-1.html

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...5-ALP05-2.html

nuhawk 07-03-2007 10:20 PM

Yes, Dk1 that is exactly what I was talking about! As soon as somebody gets one - post up.

bluevtr 07-04-2007 04:20 AM

Yea, now that has potential...

Darkone22 07-04-2007 05:22 AM

yeah i really like the 1st one my self. it gets hot here in Ga. Im going to go look and try one on tomarrow

Arctic Fire 07-04-2007 05:41 AM

So... if i'm Your the military in the states, when you're home on a rotation, they can dictate what you wear? or only when riding around a base..?

E.Marquez 07-04-2007 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arctic Fire (Post 59733)
So... if i'm Your the military in the states, when you're home on a rotation, they can dictate what you wear? or only when riding around a base..?

If your in the Army (facts I know, WAG for other services) Then a regulation applies on or off duty, you are a soldier 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Unless the regulation specifically states it does not apply x y or Z, then it always applies.

The regulation that covers Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requires a US Army member to wear the PPE at all times, on or off the installation, on duty or off, on leave or at work in uniform

Jeepingoose 07-04-2007 05:04 PM

Navy and Coast Guard policy is the same as well. Having been a rider in both services now I can atest to that fact. You can ride around in shorts and a tshirt and no helmet if you want to (see that a LOT here in Hawaii) but if you get in an accident the military does NOT have to pay for your hospital bill since you were in violation of said regulation.

Ok off my soap box and back to the nature at hand...

I like my First Gear jacket and AGV Carbon Fiber knuckle gloves I bought a while ago. Both get a little warm, yes but as soon as I start moving it cools right down again. Sometimes I go without a helmet and I have to say it takes me back to ridin a bike as a kid, only louder and faster lol.

tonystone 07-04-2007 05:37 PM

FirstGear also makes a mesh pant that's much cooler in summer + moderate protection...doesn't compare to the dainese leather, but when it's 100-plus I put on the FirstGear stuff and ride a little slower...

cliby 07-04-2007 07:20 PM

these are comfortable, well made and reasonably priced too.

http://vansonleathers.com/product_pages/jackets/vx3.htm

nineighthawk 07-04-2007 10:43 PM

I have one of these on the way. Mostly for Offroad use.
If it is a good fit I might be using it for the streets. It would look fitting on the SM.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/d...T_ID=TR72-3034

jordanv3122 07-22-2008 10:55 AM

quite a few stunters where them because if mousetrap a wheelie your chest hits the tank and/or handlebars. if you flip a wheelie it protects your back and if you flip an endo and the bike hits your back it protects you there as well. flipping an endo with a 12 bar is where people really get hurt. they fit under t shirts also but you look like some monster thing lol

Hotbrakes 07-22-2008 02:18 PM

The vest protects the vitals, better than nothing IMO. Tracks require a hard back protector like the one on the vest in addition to a leather suit with CE armor. The foam backpad found in most gear is not near enough protection if you hit anything substantial. Icon's vest would be perfect under a decent jacket and it's a lot better than a T shirt whipping in the wind.
I may substitute one of these vests for my Teknic back protector.

superchicken_deluxe 07-22-2008 02:41 PM

The field vests that you guys are showing are popular among stunt crowds. It protects the very basics. Obviously, it's not going to do too much when you drop over 40, but its a tremendous help at low speeds. There really isn't too much else to offer that makes sense to wear when it's 100 out and your trying to practice wheelies at 5 - 10 miles an hour. I've tried wearing a highly vented jacket while doing this & you start dyin after about 5 minutes

sumthin_major 07-22-2008 05:41 PM

I personally want this mad max looking vest.
http://www.chaparral-racing.com/Chap...DE7B19CF7B993C

74stingray 07-22-2008 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken (Post 119096)

the High visibility requirement (from whatever outer wear you want to use that meets the requirement) is required by Army, Navy and Marine personnel, ANY TIME, ANYWHERE they are riding. That and helmet, over the ankle leather foot wear, long pants and shirt sleeves, eye protection all are required personal protective equipment (PPE)

http://www.motorhelmets.com/pics-gen...-vest-2006.jpg

Air Force people too :cool:

divingindaytona 07-22-2008 07:45 PM

Personally I ride with this jacket. But I got it on closeout for $70

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/s...+size+sm+or+lg

Very comfortable, moves air well, CE armor.. Very cool compared to my leather jacket.

Erik S. 07-22-2008 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by TXSuperChicken (Post 119096)

The Icon High Vis best is an easy way to meet the PPE requirement. But so is my daily riding jacket.

Minor correction, for the Marines and Navy, it's not required PPE during the day time.

I wear it occasionally, even when I'm not on base. Never hurts to be seen.

lucky13 07-24-2008 06:42 AM

Great gear

Google Forcefield Body Armor. They are a company out of the UK that makes excellent body armor. I am hoping to order the back protector and chest protector before my next track day in Sept. I have an outdated Dainese back protector that will still work but the Forcefield stuff looks great AND it can absorb multiple impacts without replacement (not that you would want to do that but its nice to know you can). Its obviously made to be worn under leathers or textiles, but you should do that anyways.

MisfitToy 09-17-2008 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Erik S. (Post 172907)
Minor correction, for the Marines and Navy, it's not required PPE during the day time.

I wear it occasionally, even when I'm not on base. Never hurts to be seen.

added correction to this. the vest is required ALL the time by the marines for sure. The commandant and SGTMAJ of the Marine corps has it full time. same with at least two reflective stripes on any back pack as well.

Marine corps policy is long sleeve, over ankle boots, encapsulating eye pro. and full finger gloves. all the time no matter where you are time of day anything.

the picture down below was on Palomar. I'm wearing my vest, only one... not only marine though.

As far as that plastic gear it was huge in downhill mtb. and some pro freestyle mx riders wear it too.

If it was that good you would probably see it in motogp. but I would wear that before mesh..