Modifications - Cosmetic Discuss aftermarket and DIY cosmetic modifications

Removing 3M Protective Tape

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 10:24 AM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Grizz is on a distinguished road
Removing 3M Protective Tape

So I finally picked up my hawk yesterday and can't wait to get out riding. The previous owner had installed a pleather tank protector to reduce scratching that I promptly removed. Upon removal I realized he also added that 3M protective tape underneath so dust would not rub off the paint. Unfortunately it is starting to peel off and I would like to remove it completely and re-add a smaller patch later. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this?

My original plan was to cut it in small sections, slowly peel it off then use WD-40 to try and get any gunk left over.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:32 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Heat from a hair dryer should help loosen the grip of the adhesive and help it peel off better. I used a similar product on my truck before to reduce road salt/stones kicking up during the winter months and it came off easy with the heat. wd-40 should remove any residual adhesive as you mentioned. Take your time and it should work out fine.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 AM
ride it out
SuperSport

nothing is on a distinguished road
we use a hair dryer/heat gun here, works if you know what you're doing
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I've also used Goo-Gone... you can find it at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart/etc.... it's a citrus based gum remover... works the same as WD-40... but smells a little better.

The key with any of the solvents is to peel up slightly, then get the WD-40/Goo Gone down into/on the adheshive... peel a little more, squirt more solvent in/on the adhesive... repeat, repeat, repeat.... I know this from removing the butt ugly pink and yelow stickers off my old Katana years ago... the stickers were HUGE, and oh so ugly.

(and please keep the Katana jokes to a minimum... remember I own 2 Hawks now... I see the light!!! Everyone has to start somewhere!!!) LOL.

J.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you got your hawk, with any luck we can meet up for a ride in a few weeks.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Originally Posted by g_clarke_2008
Glad to hear you got your hawk, with any luck we can meet up for a ride in a few weeks.
Yea, I can't wait to get out!! Another friend from work just bought an 05 GIX 750. I told him that, despite his choice in bikes, he can still ride with us.

I think we may take the "safety" course together as it's been a few years since I had my VFR. He told me ther was a course through the Safety Council that runs around $300. Back then, I did not get my class 6 as there was a year waiting list for the road test. The guy told me "not to ride with only a class 5 as there would be a stiff 20 dollar fine for driving contrary to class if you were caught.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:58 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
+1 on WD40 or Orange oil.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:23 AM
Back Marker

g_clarke_2008 is on a distinguished road
Where are the pics of the ride?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Get it good and hot with a hairdryer and slowly peel it. Watch how it is coming off. Keep your grip low to the paint to avoid tearing the sticker. Use one hand to peel and the other to keep heat on it.

I use ZEP Big Orange E. Works better than anything else. But if you use goo-off or some thing, let it sit for a few minutes and try to scrape it off with a plastic putty knife or bondo paddle.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Carnivore
Back Marker

Thanks for all the advice guys, I am going to take it off this weekend, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Here are the only pics I have so far, I'll take some more when I finally get off shift this weekend....I can't wait to get out!!

It came with a Jardine RT-1 high mount exhaust, Helibars, a Corbin seat and a double bubble windshield. He also gave me all the original basically new replacement parts as well.
Attached Thumbnails Removing 3M Protective Tape-superhawk.jpg   Removing 3M Protective Tape-superhawk2.jpg   Removing 3M Protective Tape-superhawk4.jpg  

Last edited by Grizz; 03-05-2009 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
ooh that's a sweet bike