Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

perfect gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 03:23 AM
Squid

garethfrith1 is on a distinguished road
Smile perfect gear

i recently bought a expensive helmet and looking to get a pair of boot too. but unsure about the best to bank upon. is there any suggestion for the best ones??
thank you in advance!!
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 AM
Squid

b1m3x8 is on a distinguished road
What "expensive helmet" did you buy? I have heard nothing but good things about Sidi boots.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:33 AM
Back Marker

malahhaor is on a distinguished road
Got Sidi corsa I think is the model, used to be top of the line several years ago, love them, saved my ankle while it was twisting between the bike and the asphalt. For hot weather I use Sidi scorpion air I think is the model, it's just over the ankle coverage.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:52 AM
Superstock

thefauxnarchist is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by malahhaor
Got Sidi corsa I think is the model, used to be top of the line several years ago, love them, saved my ankle while it was twisting between the bike and the asphalt. For hot weather I use Sidi scorpion air I think is the model, it's just over the ankle coverage.
sidi vertigo corsas,

i still wear them after 2.5 years, both commuting and at the track. fantastic boots i love them.

the new generation is the vortice, released in late 09 i think. more buckles, but has a replaceable forward sole plate (screwdriver).

i dont think i will EVER get another brand of moto boot. tried the astars hated them. dainese i didnt like much either (though my suit is dainese).

edit: i believe all sidi models are available in "air" which is full perforation. i didnt get them because i anticipated possibly having to ride brief rain once in a while, and cold. both of which have happened, and i feel that theres enough venting with the NON air boots anyways.
Old 06-13-2011, 10:28 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I use Alpinestar SMX-Plus boots and they saved me from a broken ankle last year so I rate them pretty high. Than and they are much easier to put on then the Sidi's (nice boot but hell it takes 20 mins to get them on with all the fasteners...)
Old 06-13-2011, 10:58 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I use Alpinestar SMX-Plus boots and they saved me from a broken ankle last year so I rate them pretty high. Than and they are much easier to put on then the Sidi's (nice boot but hell it takes 20 mins to get them on with all the fasteners...)

lol i feel the same way about the the astars! damn inner boot is a pita to get into with my feet.

the sidis, for me are, step in, zip up, 1-2-3 click, 1-2-3 click again, and im done. i'd guess 5-10 seconds actual time for me to get in the boots.

the smx take foreverrrrr for me, but prolly cuz i dont wear them on a regular basis. i can see it could be faster, but im not good with shoving my feet and muscling them into boots haha. maybe im just doing the astars wrong.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
lol i feel the same way about the the astars! damn inner boot is a pita to get into with my feet.

the sidis, for me are, step in, zip up, 1-2-3 click, 1-2-3 click again, and im done. i'd guess 5-10 seconds actual time for me to get in the boots.

the smx take foreverrrrr for me, but prolly cuz i dont wear them on a regular basis. i can see it could be faster, but im not good with shoving my feet and muscling them into boots haha. maybe im just doing the astars wrong.
I guess they are kind of like tires....whatever works for you.

Though I will say a good pair of boots with external armor that doesn't allow your ankle to twist is a very good investment.

In my last get off, I broke the heel guard clean off on the left stock rear set. If I didn't have armored boots, I can guarantee that I would have broken my ankle.

So boots are right up there with helmets and gloves in items that you shouldn't skim on but get the best you can. It will say you money and pain in the long run...... though YMMV
Old 06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
907 Noble
Back Marker

AK Ronin is on a distinguished road
I have the All black Sidi B2's. They look good and they're super comfortable. Haven't gone down in them yet, I hope I never have to, but I know I can trust them.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Dainese Torque Out boots, under $300 including tax when I bought them about 4 years ago. They were the only boots that fit me well, and I love 'em.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:51 PM
SuperSport

98VTRrider is on a distinguished road
I got the A-Star SMX Plus boots last year when I needed something to get on the track. The only thing I could find locally, I wouldn't get boots without being able to try them on.

I love them, they are very comfortable on and off the bike. I use them frequently and can get them on and off fast with no problem.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:22 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
I guess they are kind of like tires....whatever works for you.

Though I will say a good pair of boots with external armor that doesn't allow your ankle to twist is a very good investment.

In my last get off, I broke the heel guard clean off on the left stock rear set. If I didn't have armored boots, I can guarantee that I would have broken my ankle.

So boots are right up there with helmets and gloves in items that you shouldn't skim on but get the best you can. It will say you money and pain in the long run...... though YMMV
+1 to that!...ankle protection is one of the least under appreciated in motorcycling i think. i cringe thinking about "what could" happen if it all went wrong wearing some converses and ankle socks riding on fwy...which i often did when i first started riding.

i may give astars another run though. my buddies mentioned to me that the sole where the ***** of your feet are thicker on the astars than the sidis. the sidis have been kinda bugging me in that regard at track days. then again i dont hook in with my heel on my outside leg.
Old 06-14-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thefauxnarchist
+1 to that!...ankle protection is one of the least under appreciated in motorcycling i think. i cringe thinking about "what could" happen if it all went wrong wearing some converses and ankle socks riding on fwy...which i often did when i first started riding.

i may give astars another run though. my buddies mentioned to me that the sole where the ***** of your feet are thicker on the astars than the sidis. the sidis have been kinda bugging me in that regard at track days. then again i dont hook in with my heel on my outside leg.

I know that I won't even think of wicking it up a bit unless I have my good boots on.

Not only for the added protection but also for the added control they give me. The soles and the overall construction allow me better shifting & braking along with being able to weight the pegs better.

Which boot you pick is up to you. What you like and how much you have to spend.

If cost is not an issue, then Daytona's are the way to go. Other wise, a armored "racing" boot from any of name brands will suit you well.

Expect to pay between $350-$400 for a good pair. While this may sound like a lot, how much will a broken ankle cost you? On top of that, walking is way under rated..... as soon as you can't, life can be a real bitch.

So my motto is buy the best helmet, gloves and boots you can afford and you will be off to a great start.