Rider's Gear Discuss protective riding gear

3 Season Gear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Squid

Reynolds68 is on a distinguished road
3 Season Gear

I generally ride my SH every day to work as long as it's over 40 but am having trouble staying dry in my Cortech jacket and pants. Don't get me wrong, if its over 75 a little water doesn't bother me but a wet crotch gets old pretty quick. I'm looking for gear suggestions to stay dry and not have to carry a rainsuit as we really don't have alot of storage.

Thanks
Old 08-26-2008, 02:39 AM
BANNED IN D.C.
SuperSport

Condor is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reynolds68
I generally ride my SH every day to work as long as it's over 40 but am having trouble staying dry in my Cortech jacket and pants. Don't get me wrong, if its over 75 a little water doesn't bother me but a wet crotch gets old pretty quick. I'm looking for gear suggestions to stay dry and not have to carry a rainsuit as we really don't have alot of storage.

Thanks

I suggest Frog Toggs, but you dont want to carry rain gear...they are relatively sheer, and you shouldt have a problem if you use a tank bag

sorry I cant be of more help
Old 08-26-2008, 06:10 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Which three seasons?

An Aerostich suit or copy sounds like the perfect thing for you.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:39 AM
Squid

I may actually start carrying some Frogg Toggs, I usually have my trusty backpack when commuting.

The 3 seasons would be spring, summer and fall with a bit of winter for excitement.....
Unless it drops under 40ish, on my 919 I couldn't keep my hands warm longer than 10 minutes.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
If money is no object, bmw makes something called a 'comfort shell" jacket and pants. Its magic stuff. Fibers designed on the principles of the pinecone shell that opens and closes with changes in temperature. its completely waterproof - breathes as it gets warm out, constricts and doesn't breath when its coold. Fully armored. It is magic, genuinely the only thing you need from down to 50 - to a genuine 90 degrees ( a sweatshirt under at the lower end) but unfortunately like all things bmw, they forgot its made from synthetic not gold - higher price than aerostich but much more versatile. I guess about 2 good Arai helmets to put it in perspective. I sold my old CBX and took a part of the cash and bought one. Single best for bike purchase I have ever made - I use it all the time now and no longer worry if I'll be too hot, wet, cold etc or not wearing the right gear due to heat, double packing for any condition. Best thing going.

Last edited by cliby; 08-26-2008 at 09:38 AM. Reason: addiitonal info
Old 08-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
If money is no object, bmw makes something called a 'comfort shell" jacket and pants. Its magic stuff. Fibers designed on the principles of the pinecone shell that opens and closes with changes in temperature. its completely waterproof - breathes as it gets warm out, constricts and doesn't breath when its coold. Fully armored. It is magic, genuinely the only thing you need from down to 50 - to a genuine 90 degrees ( a sweatshirt under at the lower end) but unfortunately like all things bmw, they forgot its made from synthetic not gold - higher price than aerostich but much more versatile. I guess about 2 good Arai helmets to put it in perspective. I sold my old CBX and took a part of the cash and bought one. Single best for bike purchase I have ever made - I use it all the time now and no longer worry if I'll be too hot, wet, cold etc or not wearing the right gear due to heat, double packing for any condition. Best thing going.
very interesting...
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I've got an Olympia AST jacket and Olympia Airglide pants. The jacket comes with a liner but I use a Widder vest instead when its cold. It's very versatile. It's windproof when you want it to be and it has great ventilation when you need to feel the breeze. It's supposed to be waterproof but sometimes I get some dampness through the zippered vents that run down the arms. It's very well made and comes with shoulder and elbow armour and a back protector. It's worth checking out the website.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:47 PM
Squid

Thumbs up

I'll have to check the Olympia out, but the BMW stuff is a bit out of my price range. Got a wife kids and a SH to feed first yanno

I find it strange that my arms, chest, legs, back stay dry unless its just a total downpour but it doesn't have to rain hard at all for the wet crotch effect. I thought it used to be the naked bikes water just running to where I had to sit in it all the time but I've had the same prob on a 250r and my SH.

The search continues. Thanks all for the replies so far!

Btw, Comedo what kind of rain does it eventually soak thru in? What's the hardest you've got caught out in?
Old 08-27-2008, 02:22 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I got the AST jacket last summer. I wore it in heavy rain that lasted for a couple of hours while riding the Blue Ridge Parkway. It didn't leak at all. I got some minor leakage in the sleeves while riding my VTR in the rain this year. It was pretty much a deluge but I was surprised some got through.
Olympia also sells an AST riding suit. I don't know how it compares to the Aerostitch in effectiveness or price.
Another alternative but one I haven't tried is the Firstgear Kilimanjaro 4.0 jacket. You can read about it on the Whitehorse Press website.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Reynolds68
I'll have to check the Olympia out, but the BMW stuff is a bit out of my price range. Got a wife kids and a SH to feed first yanno
Now c'mon! I gave up a CBX for it - the wife and kids will just have to sacrifice!

good luck, I"m sure there are many good choices
Old 09-01-2008, 04:48 PM
MSF RiderCoach
Back Marker

radbikers is on a distinguished road
Nix on the Frogg Toggs. They work really well on a bike with a lot of wind protection (like a Gold Wing), but they tend to catch a lot of air and flap around if you don't have a big fairing or windscreen upfront!