RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Taken off the road by a $13 part!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
Angry Taken off the road by a $13 part!!!!!!!

Last night, before my evening ride home, I'm doing my usual saftey check on of my bike. While the bike warms up, I just give it a once over.

I notice that I'm missing a rear tail light. Ok, no big deal, there's 2 and one is still working. Hrmm What about the brake light filiment. I squeeze the front brake lever and nothing happens!!!! WTF? I give it a few more squeezes.. Nothing. I step on the rear brake. BRAKE LIGHTS! Squeeze the front brake lever again...Nuthing. Crap, the front brake light switch is on the frizt. I triple check the wiring, and everything is good.

So I do my usual 50 mile lane spit freeway ride home, making sure to apply the rear brake AND the front brake every time so no one rear ends me. I did a multitude of tests with my multi-meter when I got home, just to confirm the switch is bad...and it is.

I call around to local dealers only to find out the part is $13, and no one has it in stock. Thursday is the soonest anyone can get one in.

So, just to be safe, I'm driving the Cage for the next few days till the replacement switch comes in.

It still amazes me that Los Angles Honda dealers don't stock VTR parts (or at least any part that seems to break/need replacement on a regular basis)

P.S. Yeah, I could order it online, but I'd have to pay overnight/2-3 day shipping and double the cost if I wanted it faster than my dealer. I just had to rant a little.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Back Marker

vitter is an unknown quantity at this point
bah! just ride it.

I rode for 2.5 years with no front brake light switch.

If I needed the light to come on, I would use the rear brake, and if I didn't care, or didn't want it to come on, I would just use the front.
Old 11-14-2006, 06:19 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Take it off, spray it with an electrical contact cleaner and work the plunger. Chances are it's just gummed up.

And this is not a "VTR part". It's a common item, in fact, the gixxer1000 brakes I added even used the same switch. Ridiculous that no one has one.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:37 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Yeah, I used one off of a Goldwing a few years back. It went out on my Superhawk at Deal's Gap. Guys I was riding with are like, "Damn, you don't use any brakes at all, do you!" Um, yeah guys, I was being smooth, but I was definitely on the brakes at some points. So the only one they had from from a GW and it fit and has been working fine since. It's a very common Honda part and it's used on many bikes.