General Discussion Anything SuperHawk Related

Longest Road trip you've taken?

Old 05-23-2006, 02:13 PM
Squid

Pdaddy
Longest Road trip you've taken?

Im TRYING to talk my wife into an extended road trip to Clearwater Fl on the bike. Shes already agreed to a 3.5 hour trip to Gulf Shores, but I dont know if Ill get her to go for Clearwater.

A friend of mine is getting married down there in mid June and Id like to make a bike trip out of it if I can talk her into it.... kinda like a mini adventure just the two of us and the Hawk.

How far have you commited to riding ?? How was it and what did you learn from it ? Im thinking Ill have a sore *** 2 hours in with the stock seat to be honest with you ! LOLOL
Old 05-23-2006, 02:31 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I rode from Montreal to Calgary four summers ago and it was quite an adventure, with one day having more than 1250 km (that's over 750 miles). Not sure I'd want to do that one again though. The key is to get a good seat (have a Sargent), some higher bars (Helis), a higher windshield adn take your time and stop often.

BTW, hving gone of holidays with my ex two years ago on teh VTR, it is not teh ultimate two-up vehicle.

cheers
Mikstr
Old 05-23-2006, 03:38 PM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
I don't think we could ride more than an hour two up....on the hawk that is, I agree it is not a very two up, long distance friendly bike...

when you heading to Gulf Shores? I will be down there for a couple of weeks this summer visiting family....haven't decided if I am taken the hawk along...no trailer, and I hate tring to get it in and out of the truck...too much work.....
Old 05-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Squid

twitcher
I did a trip through southern Australia in December with my wife on the back, and it was wicked. We covered about 4000km in just under 2 weeks, in all weather conditions, and it was honestly one of the best trips I've ever done. The trick is to stop often and not do marathon days, 400-500kms a day max. As long as it's not just straight boring highway miles it shouldn't be too hard to keep her happy.oh yeah, and my mrs. was 2 months up the duff, too, so it really couldn't have been that bad.
Old 05-23-2006, 06:37 PM
Superstock

Brian A is an unknown quantity at this point
I did 550 miles one day on my Superhawk.
590 one day on the CBR 1000F.
Both were solo. I'd not even consider that far two-up on either bike.

I suspect you could be charged with spouse abuse for having her perch her rear end on that little thing they call a seat and ride to Clearwater.

But, I guess it could be done if you split it into two days and took regular breaks.

Mid June you say?
I beat you'll sweat your *** off.

If you decide to do it, there is a real good thread her regarding suggestions for long distance road trips. Not sure which forum, but I'm sure it can be found pretty easily.
Old 05-23-2006, 07:08 PM
Squid

Pdaddy
Wife VETO'd it again HAHAHA, and now she wants to learn to ride it !! I think Im in BIG trouble...

Shes pissed i took this pic with her in scrubs....

Name:  Wifehawk.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  59.4 KB
Old 05-23-2006, 09:36 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
985 miles in 12 hours. Straight through from St. Louis, MO to Charleston, SC. Should have rode the other 15 miles around the block 30 times just to say I did 1000 but my shoulders and neck hurt so bad!

This was with a 1 week old Sargent. I couldn't have done it without it. Wish I'd had a touring screen.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:28 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
did 400 miles from my apt to my house in DE. first time was my first REAL ride on the superhawk so that was interesting. I'd easily do more but I get a lil bored and my ipod will lock up if the weather is colder...
Old 05-25-2006, 05:33 AM
Squid

skatrekker is on a distinguished road
500 miles from Brighton to Edinburgh, it started raining 3 mile from home and stopped 5 miles outside Edinburgh. It took about 8 hrs. I was quite damp as my boots decided to become sieves and my gloves became sponges. The one-piece Wiese III waterproof kept the rest of me dry though.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:11 AM
Squid

someonehappy
IMO SH is not a good choice for two up, and most people don't like the back seat, maybe she'd like you to solo traval after servel trips on the SH.

You're so lucky that she want to learn to ride. Just buy her a bike and ride together, that's the best choice. Riding is so much fun and siting on the back is the most horrible thing.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Jim TT
The last trip I took was to Gettysburg in July ilast year(from Chicago) ; my longest day was a 1000 miles which I did in 2003 riding from the east coast to Chicago, I tour on my VFR750 not my Super Hawk. JIM
Old 05-25-2006, 09:59 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wasn't really a road trip but I did about 9 hrs doing deals gap and the surrounding area. I was having sooo much fun I didn't realize how tired and how much my butt and legs hurt. Oh and about 5hrs in 20 min. increments at the track. BTW my wife wears scrubs too, ICU RN.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Back Marker

Yardstick
~340 miles in one day a couple of weeks ago from Chandler to Flagstaff and back. We stopped a little over halfway up, spent some time in Flagstaff and stopped again at the same point on the way back, but it was brutal even with the Sargent seat. My riding pants are "broken" so I was wearing jeans which might not have helped. It was over 100 degrees in the valley area too. Oddly, my legs were really sore the next day. By myself it wouldn't have been as bad (I don't think) but even though my wife is pretty small, I felt her back there.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:31 PM
Back Marker

cb21983
Sounds like there are very few people who can deal with long trips on the hawk. My Dad, five of his friends, and I all rode to Deals Gap and back. We even had time to ride it twice. The trip was around 570miles one way so double that and add the gap puts me around 1250 miles in less than 48 hours. We are also planning a ride from here in St Louis to Las Vegas and back. Should be around 3600 miles with the route we planned and it will be over 9 days. I love my hawk!!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:01 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Nearly 700mi/day. Long weekends/1600-1800miles. Although I was tired, I wasn't achy since I modded my VTR into a long range edition: DB screen, superbike bars/trimmed fairings, VFR tank, VFR seat with sargent foam (have corbin also), lowered pegs, and throttle lock.

I wouldn't ask a passenger to ride long distances on ANY sportbike (even a VFR) and especially on the stock VTR seat.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:19 AM
Squid

skatrekker is on a distinguished road
I regularly do 350-400 miles a day when touring on a standard VTR with a flip-up on the screen. I don't find it that painful but due to the bikes limited range I stop for 5-10 mins every hour and a half to refuel. petrol for the bike and water for me + clean the dead flies of the visor.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:30 AM
Squid

someonehappy
Originally Posted by superbling
I wouldn't ask a passenger to ride long distances on ANY sportbike (even a VFR) and especially on the stock VTR seat.
Yes! The stock seat is too much slippy.
I though my wife was sitting on my back in our last two up trip.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:55 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
900 miles in one day(twice).
800 miles in one day(twice).
Old 05-31-2006, 11:35 AM
Back Marker
Back Marker

penst8grad
200-300 miles is a normal ride with friends on backroads. I suspect 400 is about tops on the hawk. I usually measure in fuelstops not miles since I need to stop more than anyone.