RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

Its not you its me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
Its not you its me.

So I read here about that little tip pull out the front right bolt on the valve cover to check the lobe position to be sure of TDC to adjust my MCCTs so I do BUT the 30mm hex bolt next on the left side was so tight it stripped so Not wanting to mess it that much up I chisel It out and get a standard to fit snug. STRIPPED THAT out!! ok It wants to play so some liquid wrench (all outa PB) and a screwdriver and dead blow resulted me in a severely messed up bolt thats still stuck and the crappy aluminum just blew out when it couldn't take the dead blows. So screw it ill deal with it when I change my oil shortly and ill just take off the cover and get it from the inside no biggie.

Putting on my valve cover bolt still pissed and sore from about an hour behind a hammer. SNAP! valve cover bolt snaps! well here I go! fairings come off but I drop one of the bolts for the mirror down the tube.. go figure. so after removing the airbox unbolting the rads and oil cooler and having a hell of a time getting the front cover off I finally get it all apart both covers SO might as well check my valves while I'm screwing **** up. luckily all my valves where in spec and my CCT's where 2turns out at the most.

Ahhh back to my broken bolt. for those that haven't pulled their covers off the valve cover bolt has a countersunk spot before the treads so grabbing it with pliers was a no go and its 10pm no shops open for an extractor. I finally went mcgyver and used a flat head and some elbow grease and got it out.

The only good things is I got the Pair disabled, checked valves, and CCT's now I cant ride for a few days while I wait for this damn bolt!
Old 06-30-2008, 08:18 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hear about your "fun"... when you put it back together you may want to put some never seize on the threads so it doesn't happen again... Ran into the same fun with my friend's '64 Buick Wildcat last fall when we decided to tear the engine apart to fix some problems... Snapped off 3 or 4 bolts that became oxidized in the potmetal front timing cover. Made sure they were never seized when I put it back together!

Originally Posted by MisfitToy
So I read here about that little tip pull out the front right bolt on the valve cover to check the lobe position to be sure of TDC to adjust my MCCTs so I do BUT the 30mm hex bolt next on the left side was so tight it stripped so Not wanting to mess it that much up I chisel It out and get a standard to fit snug. STRIPPED THAT out!! ok It wants to play so some liquid wrench (all outa PB) and a screwdriver and dead blow resulted me in a severely messed up bolt thats still stuck and the crappy aluminum just blew out when it couldn't take the dead blows. So screw it ill deal with it when I change my oil shortly and ill just take off the cover and get it from the inside no biggie.

Putting on my valve cover bolt still pissed and sore from about an hour behind a hammer. SNAP! valve cover bolt snaps! well here I go! fairings come off but I drop one of the bolts for the mirror down the tube.. go figure. so after removing the airbox unbolting the rads and oil cooler and having a hell of a time getting the front cover off I finally get it all apart both covers SO might as well check my valves while I'm screwing **** up. luckily all my valves where in spec and my CCT's where 2turns out at the most.

Ahhh back to my broken bolt. for those that haven't pulled their covers off the valve cover bolt has a countersunk spot before the treads so grabbing it with pliers was a no go and its 10pm no shops open for an extractor. I finally went mcgyver and used a flat head and some elbow grease and got it out.

The only good things is I got the Pair disabled, checked valves, and CCT's now I cant ride for a few days while I wait for this damn bolt!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:27 PM
Shredding Asphalt
Superstock

MisfitToy is on a distinguished road
yeah had I been the one that tore it apart before me I would have deffinatly put in never seize or at least a thin coat of grease. Ill be sure it happens when I get a new cover and replace it.