RANT! Pissed off about something? Need to get it off your chest? Do it here.

clack CLACK BOOM!!!

Old 11-05-2011, 09:23 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
clack CLACK BOOM!!!

So... My torque monster ate its self. Decided one final ride on her today was a good idea, 48 degrees, sunny, calm, and feeling frisky I took her out. Cruising at 50mph on my way off the Island and wouldnt you know, I hear that dreaded sound of a "Worn" tensioner. Then Clack CLACK BOOM! Thats all she wrote. After being a member on here since April and hearing about the failures and how sparatic they are usually on hight milage bikes, its always in the back of my mind, but on an '04 with 7800 miles on her I thought I could make it till next weekend when I was going to take her down to parade rest for the winter and take care of them then. Boy was I wrong. Made it home after taking a taxi to the house and grabbing my truck to bring her back and in the kitchen by 1900 PT. Well, pulled off the rear cylinder head becuase I could have sworn I felt a valve go up into my brown eye, and sure enough with out having to look at the valves the piston had scars of both intake and exhaust valves in it. So as it sits in the kitchen plastics, tank, and rear cylinder head off and 3 Arrogant Bastard Ale bottles next to her, I am writing this, A broken man who neglected to do simple maintenance. DAMN im an idiot. So yeah just blowing off some steam before I tell the wife I need to spend money on the bike. "Sorry honey but think of it this way, now you dont need to buy me a christmas gift..."
Old 11-05-2011, 09:40 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
wow,sorry for the misfortune,youre in luck tho,there is someone on here selling heads soon,and invest in the manual cct's.
hope everything gets better from here,and ofcourse dont worry too much.
there is a wealth of knowledge on here and plenty of people to help along the way.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Superstock

Thanks saige, My heads are slavagable thank the gods. I have read the how-to on man. cct's and I can / will do it. I was going to do over the winter or after I get back from deployment, which ever came first but since I have the rear pulled off, nows the time. I found it pretty coincidental that those heads are forsale. Made me smile for the first time since 1500. Thanks- Mike-
Old 11-06-2011, 12:14 AM
King of this hill
Back Marker

Cafe Racer is on a distinguished road
Very sad...
Old 11-06-2011, 10:19 AM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Where are you located at?
Old 11-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Superstock
Superstock

davidka is on a distinguished road
Especially sad as you don't even have 10k on the bike. That's a failure that shouldn't have happened.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:15 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by zmaniv
Where are you located at?
Whidbey Island, WA. Cant wait to get the bike back together and move back down to SoCal.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:17 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by davidka
Especially sad as you don't even have 10k on the bike. That's a failure that shouldn't have happened.
My thoughts excactly. I thouhght that I had atleast 5k to still be safe, but I guess not
Old 11-06-2011, 03:25 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
+1 As for calling yourself an idiot, if you'd taken a straw poll before your ride today, 98% of the responses would be "no way the CCT on the rear cylinder is going to fail at such low mileage" and the other 2% could have been written off as the raving of lunatics.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:49 PM
SuperSport

zmaniv is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Squid
Whidbey Island, WA. Cant wait to get the bike back together and move back down to SoCal.
Damn if you were in San diego I would give you a hand fixing it up
Old 11-06-2011, 05:32 PM
Superstock

Thanks for the offer zmaniv... But now deployment money will be spent on different front end and lighter rims, differnt or modded swing arm, headder pipes (cuz shes not loud enough yet, CCT'S!!!! and PAIR block offs, and a wind screen, and a paint job, and... well $#(&, you get the idea.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
Your post sent a chill up my spine....as I have a 2004 with 7780 miles!

I just got in from a stellar ride. After seeing this I took the tank and airbox off....went online and bought some APE manual CCT 3-day delivery.

Sorry bro.

EDIT: This really is a BS deal. Honda needs to step up to the plate and recall their CCT's.

Last edited by Matt_Hawk; 11-06-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:36 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
This is the second one I know of with under 10k that has failed. You can't depend on miles ridden to be an indicator of life left.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Matt_Hawk
Your post sent a chill up my spine....as I have a 2004 with 7780 miles!

I just got in from a stellar ride. After seeing this I took the tank and airbox off....went online and bought some APE manual CCT 3-day delivery.

Sorry bro.

EDIT: This really is a BS deal. Honda needs to step up to the plate and recall their CCT's.
Thanks for rubbing it in... Well atleast you made it home (lol)! Honda is a stand up company. When I worked for them, well a dealer in SoCal they treated us Techs well and fixed any problem they came across. We never had a Hawk come in with a problem like this. Then again I was there for only about 3 years. I still stand by them, even after this. This just gave me a really good excuse to do the upgrades that the wife would not have approved of 3 days ago... Thanks Honda!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:33 PM
Wild Man
Back Marker

Matt_Hawk is on a distinguished road
Hey I vote we should each donate $10 to Squid for some new manual CCT's!

He has a bad misfortune.Let's help a SuperHawk brother. What goes around...

Set up a paypal account Squid.
All he needs is about 10 members to donate $10.
All in favor?

1) Matt_Hawk $10
2)
3)
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)
Old 11-15-2011, 02:47 AM
Superstock

LOL! Awesome! Thank you , really but there is no need for this. Like I stated, deployment funds will be used for this project. I really do appriciate the idea of the fund raiser. Piston and valves are in and new gaskets installed as well, CCTs have been ordered and I started the diet (me and the bike). all and all with me on the bike we should be looking at a 50lb drop in overall weight.
Old 11-15-2011, 04:35 AM
MotoGP

nath981 is on a distinguished road
This just gave me a really good excuse to do the upgrades that the wife would not have approved of 3 days ago... Thanks Honda!
Wow! now there's a scary rationalization!
Old 11-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Superstock

what do you mean?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:45 AM
Escape Reality
SuperSport

calitoz is on a distinguished road
Wow...another one...This is so avoidable and it only cost you less than $10 to fix.

Build one:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ual-one-22711/

Install it:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/
Old 11-22-2011, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

what do you mean?
thanks to honda for causing a low mileage catastrophic engine failure so that you can get spending approved by your wife who would have denied it 3 days before........sounds like extreme measures just to get passed your financial controller wife and you rationalize that this is wonderful.

What are you going to do when you need new tires and she won't approve? Buy cheapo tires, crash your bike, get it paid for by insurance and then thank Shinko for enabling you to get another bike.

Scary rationalization to me.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:14 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by calitoz
Wow...another one...This is so avoidable and it only cost you less than $10 to fix.

Build one:

Install it:
yes.....and i wanted to take this opportunity to thank you for the great description/pics because it made doing this mod so easy. And for those OCDers that just have to have everything OEM, official, or made perfect by someone else, they should do this as a temporary fix until they can get what satisfies their needs.

anyway, apersheate it very much. thanks.

Last edited by nath981; 11-22-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:04 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by nath981
thanks to honda for causing a low mileage catastrophic engine failure
Once again it is all Honda's fault. I guess it really doesn't matter that I have close to 90K miles on mine now, all with auto tensioners.

But let's look at this situation.

an '04 with 7800 miles. So were the miles put on at a rate of a touch over a 1K miles a year or were they put on when the bike was new and then it sat for the next 5-6 years?

If it sat without being run, you might want to check the valve springs also.
There is a good possibility that a set of valves were held open for years on end. So if the valve springs have lost their tension, are all Honda valve spring poorly designed also?

Could it possibly be the weak set of springs caused a cyclic load to be placed on the tensioner? Could it be that the weak springs caused valve float at a lower RPM than the design calls for, there by putting a larger than desing load on the tensioner?

So without a complete service history and knowing how the bike was operated, I have a hard time putting all the blame on Honda.

Add to that the fact that I have personally put more miles on auto tensioners than most members will ever put on their bike and I have a hard time with the whole it's all Honda's fault.

Like I have said many times, it is a maintenance item and they do need to be changed out from time to time. If you decide you want to run auto's then go right ahead. If you want manual ones, that is all good also.

To me this situation is about the same as saying I bought a 7 year old bike with 7800 miles and didn't change the oil, just ran it and then when it grenades start ranting about how Honda makes a crappy engine.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:32 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Once again it is all Honda's fault. I guess it really doesn't matter that I have close to 90K miles on mine now, all with auto tensioners.

an '04 with 7800 miles. So were the miles put on at a rate of a touch over a 1K miles a year or were they put on when the bike was new and then it sat for the next 5-6 years?

There is a good possibility that a set of valves were held open for years on end. So if the valve springs have lost their tension, are all Honda valve spring poorly designed also?

Could it possibly be the weak set of springs caused a cyclic load to be placed on the tensioner? Could it be that the weak springs caused valve float at a lower RPM than the design calls for, there by putting a larger than desing load on the tensioner?

So without a complete service history and knowing how the bike was operated, I have a hard time putting all the blame on Honda.

Add to that the fact that I have personally put more miles on auto tensioners than most members will ever put on their bike and I have a hard time with the whole it's all Honda's fault.

Like I have said many times, it is a maintenance item and they do need to be changed out from time to time. If you decide you want to run auto's then go right ahead. If you want manual ones, that is all good also.

To me this situation is about the same as saying I bought a 7 year old bike with 7800 miles and didn't change the oil, just ran it and then when it grenades start ranting about how Honda makes a crappy engine.
you misread.....nobody's bad mouthing honda............read #14, #17, then #20
Old 11-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by calitoz

Build one:

Install it:
Alright, I'll say it again, I thought one last ride on a lower milage bike was safe... and I was wrong. It's done and over with now, thank god I only needed a pison and 4 valves, not a "new" head. but no worries now thanks to APE.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by nath981
thanks to honda for causing a low mileage catastrophic engine failure so that you can get spending approved by your wife who would have denied it 3 days before........sounds like extreme measures just to get passed your financial controller wife and you rationalize that this is wonderful.

What are you going to do when you need new tires and she won't approve? Buy cheapo tires, crash your bike, get it paid for by insurance and then thank Shinko for enabling you to get another bike.

Scary rationalization to me.
This one is my fault for lack of info. I was going to order the apes and intall them the following weekend reguardless of what happend. Money was set aside for that and I didnt have to ask her for permission on spending my own money. What I mean by an excuse to get everything for my bike is the rims and tires, and the important for track day stuff... (for me atleast). Im getting out of the Navy in just about a year and we are moving back to SoCal and saving for a house, But I still want to play and mod and this is a twisted way to get it, I know. But since the bike is in pieces I can play it off kinda. Im not a dog with its tail between its legs, just a guy trying to have fun modding a bike and saving for a house, if that makes any sence.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:23 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk

Alright, well here is the history, 2004. P/O purchased bike from honda. P/O who I have known since I was 5 worked at honda Corprate and put 4K on her and bought a CB919 and rode that as a comuter since it is a much more comfortable bike. It sat from September of 2006 till April 2011 when I purchased it from him. So, when this happend I know it was a ticking time bomb.

As far as the valve springs go, when i pulled them off they were all the same height in a static measurement. They all seemed to be the same stiffness when I installed them back on the bike by a guesstimation.

And as far as blaming Honda... I don't. There is a flaw on SOME auto CCTs. But You wouldnt have to put my back against a wall for me to back big red. They gave me a job for 2-3 years, make awesome... well everything, from Generators to F-1 engines. Why the hell would anyone still own a VTR1000F if they dont like it? I love mine and I'll love it even more when Im doing what I feel should be upgraded. When I said "Thanks Honda..." It was sarcasim, I did not mean for it to be taken seriously. I understand that its hard to tell whats being said sarcastically in a joking manner in text, but this was one of those times.

Last edited by Squid; 11-22-2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: did not proof read.