Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

No more kids bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 05:55 AM
Back Marker

runrowdy is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down No more kids bikes!

The CPSC will be enforcing a stop sale on all youth model (12 and under) recreational vehicles. This means all Crf 50's up to the 100 and all youth atv's. Same with Yamaha, Kaw, Suz. It is due to lead content. Dealers will not be able to get or sell parts for them either.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/2382...cle-Sales.aspx

Unbelievable how disfunctional our Government is. Pass it on and contact your parasite in office and let them know how you feel. I did.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:28 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
WTF!
Old 02-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
Whew.. Thank goodness we have them to save us. What would we do without our beloved government to save us from ourselves.. .. OH YEAH, I remember... HAVE FUN!
Old 02-05-2009, 08:52 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Remind me in a few years not to let my kids chew on lead contaminated motorcycles. I may be wrong but leadd is only dangerous if they eat it, right?
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
If they handle it, then stick their hands in their mouth.
Old 02-05-2009, 10:00 AM
Superstock

kmm996
Originally Posted by Erik S.
If they handle it, then stick their hands in their mouth.
Got it. Thought so...
Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
What parts is it exactly that is lead "contaminated" that the kids supposedly handle?

The grips usually are rubber... The seat, the pedals whatever and other contact points are in my opinion also non-issues... And if your kid is sticking engine parts in his or hers mouth, you got entirely different problems than lead poisioning... But that's just my opinion...
Old 02-05-2009, 11:13 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
It's probably if you have to put additives into the fuel... only thing I can think of that would have lead... but it's been 30 years since I rode a CR60... so I have no clue if they still need leaded gas!!!!

Regardless... it's a ridiculous law... how about outlawing bullets instead... much more likely to fit in a childs mouth than a 50cc motor!!!

J.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:02 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
You guys are thinking entirely too logically, as if the Goobermunt was actually good faith intending to protect children from lead poisoning. Ha! Ha!

Start here;

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/wa..._lead_in_toys/

Remember the scare of lead in toys from Red China?

Congress decided to "do something" to "protect the children".

Most Congressmen don't know how to write a law so they leave it to "experts" (aka Safety *****).

Congressmen are far to busy collecting money from lobbyists to actually read any of the laws they pass, but if it's "for children", they'll vote for it.

They voted for, and the President signed, a law which bans "toys" and component parts of toys which contain 600 parts per million lead.

According to the Consumer Product Safely Council small bikes and ATVs are toys.

Per CPSC "components containing lead include lead battery terminals, tire valve stems, fittings and connectors made with brass or copper alloys, brake and clutch levers, throttle controls, engine housings, carburetors made with aluminum alloys, steel fasteners, and frames or structural components made with steel alloys."

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/5/2382...cle-Sales.aspx
Old 02-05-2009, 02:03 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
I have lost all faith in our govt a long time ago. Its the laws like this that continue to erode our rights.

I suppose in a few years we will have to summit a form and ask permission to buy a motorcycle and the govt will tell us which one we can have
Old 02-05-2009, 02:04 PM
SuperBike

k-d-williams is on a distinguished road
for our own safety!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:29 PM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
It's probably if you have to put additives into the fuel... only thing I can think of that would have lead... but it's been 30 years since I rode a CR60... so I have no clue if they still need leaded gas!!!!

Regardless... it's a ridiculous law... how about outlawing bullets instead... much more likely to fit in a childs mouth than a 50cc motor!!!

J.

leave my other hobby out of this! "how about outlawing bullets instead"
Old 02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Super Byrd
Superstock

Byrdman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
WTF!
I agree!!!
Old 02-05-2009, 03:45 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by hawxter996
leave my other hobby out of this! "how about outlawing bullets instead"
Yeah. Outlawing and collecting bullets would prove to be a very painful experience. Definitely "temporary" employment.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:48 PM
Superstock

RPV-Hawk is on a distinguished road
404 error. page cannot be found.....

found it
Old 02-05-2009, 04:01 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
As an ASI Ridercourse Coach(ATV Safety Institute), there is a statement that gets read a loud to the class that states: "An ATV is not a toy....".

So I don't get where this should apply to motorized vehicles built for minors.

Honda and the MIC(Motorcycle Industry Council) are just making a press release to cover their asses in case some jerk wad wants to file a law suit.

I'm sure their will be an amendment added to the bill to solve this. After all their is lots of money behind the MIC. I'm sure as soon as Honda puts "We're gonna shut down our manufacturing plants in a few States and start to make them in Japan again" on the table, any Congress Person with a plant in their district will start to scream as soon as they are blamed for all the jobs that are lost. In this economy, we need all the jobs we can keep and the Politicians need all the voters they can get.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:45 PM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
Couldn't the manufacturers simply "restrict" sales of these bike to riders over the age of 16 like they do with the quads? That way they are still available to the American public...?
Old 02-05-2009, 08:55 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
Jerry and I are rebuilding Chas' first 4-wheeler for his son Mikee (3 yo). It's an old Suzuki 50cc that I bought for Chas when he was Mike's age. Next month Chas will turn 19.

Jerry's second son is 12 days older than Chas' son. I have a 80cc Badger after they outgrow the 50. The Badger is almost new (hours-wise) so it will last a long time. We're going to have kiddie toys around here for a long time.
Old 02-05-2009, 09:04 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I'm 62 years old.

I survived childhood without:

seat belts
childproof caps on EVERYTHING
bicycle helmets
roller skating and skateboard helmets
padded dashboards
fences around swimming pools

And everything was painted with lead based paint!
Old 02-06-2009, 04:46 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yeah and it all added up to one adverse effect that the gobermint are trying very hard to minimize in the younger generations... You learned to think independantly and take resposability for yourself... Now all kids are pampered, overprotected and as a result they become reliant on their parents or the wellfare check... Altough they are a lot easier to control... Great plan...
Old 04-01-2009, 11:30 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
... theres more lead in your kids cell phone then in these 'contaminated' parts. i would bet money on it.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:40 AM
Back Marker

Looks like the CPSC is not backing down on this issue.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=770

It does seem they are starting to get the message. In this article http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=775 One of the CPSC Commissioners is recomending a 1 year delay in enfocement of the ban stating "application of the lead content mandates of the CPSIA to the products made by the petitioners (basically everyone in the motorcycle industry) may have the perverse effect of actually endangering children by forcing youth-sized vehicles off the market and resulting in children riding the far more dangerous adult-sized ATV’s." However she goes on to say that the way the law is written they don't have the authority to enact exclusions.

There are two important votes coming up about this. Please take action ASAP by going to the AMA website http://www.amadirectlink.com/index.asp. Click on "rights" in the left column, then "Issues & legislation". TAKE ACTION. Fill out the form or better yet call or snail mail your Senator and Representitives offices. Riders should tell Congress to support two bills aimed at righting this oversight: H.R. 1587 and S. 608.

Lets get this exclusion made permanent. We have got to get the word out for the future of our sport!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:26 PM
Back Marker

KIDs law goes to vote by CPSC on Wednesday...

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/story.asp?id=780

"the inclusion of OHVs has created an economic disaster for an industry which is already reeling from the recession, is facing countless layoffs and is estimated to be losing $3 million per day due to the Act,"

Just wow.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:58 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
well, that should stop those children from chewing on batteries, carburetors, and other misc. motorcycle parts! Why, just the other day...