Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

The Vfour engine in a new sports bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:38 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
The Vfour engine in a new sports bike

Unfortunately not from honda. Still this should be a very impressive road bike.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...iew-88146.html
Old 04-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Fastest Color
SuperBike

FL02SupaHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Nice looking bike Bill, but it's this part of the review scares me:

"Wheelies done on purpose aren’t that easy as the power surge kicks in violently above 10,000 rpm".

I like a little more gradual power delivery cuz looping hurts the back of my head
RC

Last edited by FL02SupaHawk996; 04-07-2009 at 04:30 PM. Reason: spell
Old 04-08-2009, 07:46 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
yep; and if i wanted a power band from 8 -14K I'd buy an R1 for half the cost...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:09 AM
SuperBike

c'mon guys. It sounds like it has a noticeable increase in that range, but its the race version and I would expect it has as much oomph anywhere below that range, or more, than any of the other liter bikes. And I'm not sure I buy the review anyway because he comments on amazing traction and drive out of corners - a hit that hard would be very difficult to control. I'm keeping an open mind.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:13 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
sounds like a hoot to ride. Unfortunately, we can't count on modern-day Honda to produce something like this, they're too busy pumping out loads of crap like the Fury and DN-01...*gag*
Old 04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I firmly believe Honda already has the bike(s) built and tested, but have retracted their introduction, due to poor sales forecasts. Honda likes to win Superbike races.

My feeling is, they've never really liked the idea of building a V-twin, but did so to take advantage of the rules. If they can build a V-4 and get good drive off corners and a hgih redline, they'd prefer that to a displacement advantage.

They better get it done, or their loyal customer base is going to look elsewhere.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:49 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
"Honda likes to win Superbike races"

you'd never guess that from their results in AMA Superbike racing these past few years....
Old 04-08-2009, 09:54 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Impressive... wish I had the coin for that!

But I'd still want my Super Hawk. This thing acquitted itself so well last weekend in the mountains of Virginia.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:24 PM
SuperSport

swordfish is an unknown quantity at this point
I like the idea of having a V4, but that bike looks a bit too extreme for me. 180 hp? I don't need all that. 150 is more than enough. but at least they are starting to make serious V4 bikes. I'm sure one will match me. and yes I've thought of the VFR already. I'd like something in between that and this.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:41 PM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by cliby
c'mon guys. It sounds like it has a noticeable increase in that range, but its the race version and I would expect it has as much oomph anywhere below that range, or more, than any of the other liter bikes. And I'm not sure I buy the review anyway because he comments on amazing traction and drive out of corners - a hit that hard would be very difficult to control. I'm keeping an open mind.

I can't find a dyno chart online for this bike; but seriously - are the laws of physics changed from year to year? This bike cannot - repeat - CANNOT - beat a superhawk in the power range a superhawk operates at. Period. And 98% of superhawk riders could not use the extra performance that this bike has on the OPEN ROAD. Race version, lol. Any peaky powerband can boast big numbers. But can YOU use them...

Srsly; I was on my '90 ZX-7 riding 'the pace' (around 90%) on back roads in PA in the middle 90's... a 750 Zook came around me completely in control on the rear tire only in a rather tight turn...I stopped trying to be the 'fastest' and just enjoyed myself. But there's always V. Rossi for those who think they are fast...
Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by LineArrayNut
I can't find a dyno chart online for this bike; but seriously - are the laws of physics changed from year to year? This bike cannot - repeat - CANNOT - beat a superhawk in the power range a superhawk operates at. Period. And 98% of superhawk riders could not use the extra performance that this bike has on the OPEN ROAD. Race version, lol. Any peaky powerband can boast big numbers. But can YOU use them...

Srsly; I was on my '90 ZX-7 riding 'the pace' (around 90%) on back roads in PA in the middle 90's... a 750 Zook came around me completely in control on the rear tire only in a rather tight turn...I stopped trying to be the 'fastest' and just enjoyed myself. But there's always V. Rossi for those who think they are fast...
Oh its not about being the fastest, its just the thrill of something new. If it was only about using what we could use on the streets we'd all be pretty happy with SV650's. But other things move ahead too (brakes, suspension, traction control, styling etc etc) and its cool to experience it.
As for the power range comment I'm not sure what you mean? Do you mean we can already break traction with the power we have so anything extra is wasted? that might be true at full lean but not anywhere else. Or are you saying under the 9500 redline these new liter bikes don't make the same kind of power as our SH? That used to be true but not in the past decade or so - look at nearly any literbike curve and they not only make more HP all through the range but also more torque. Here's just a random one from suzuki

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/08jan...dynochart.html
Old 04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
mildly retarded
SuperBike

j shizzy wizzy is on a distinguished road
I'd like to see this bike up against an 09' cbr1000, head to head.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:50 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by j shizzy wizzy
I'd like to see this bike up against an 09' cbr1000, head to head.
I just read a new bike article of the 'big 4' 09 bikes. man, they love the new CBR. I would love to try one out just to see how far things have come in a short time.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:08 PM
SuperBike

this review might make it seem more appealing, girls: it has a map setting switch for you.

http://motorcycledaily.com/10april09...009rsv4_p1.htm
Old 04-10-2009, 06:38 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Geez listen to this thing!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZyfpEqU0BA

It sounds what I would imagine if a 2 stroke, triple and vtwin went and did the dirty.
Old 04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
SuperBike

here is another review - they also go on about the sound. I'm excited to at least hear one. That clip does sound great Haknslash but most of it is hard to get a good listen above the wind noise.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/27/310...irst-Ride.aspx