Motorcycle News Motorcycle Headlines from around the World.

Motorcycle Accidents

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 06:13 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Motorcycle Accidents

Did you guys see this about motorcycle accidents?
Is this true?
If so it sux !!!

http://www.blackletter.org/archive%2...e%20crash.html
Old 02-24-2006, 09:41 AM
MotoGP

inderocker is an unknown quantity at this point
scary
Old 02-24-2006, 09:58 AM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Motorcycle Accidents

Makes ya want to join those motorcycle advocate groups!!!
Old 02-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road

I did not like reading that....It deppressed me....I want to be one of the people that is in the dark, what I don't know, won't bother me today....lol...that sucks.....

So do you think joining AMA is helpful? I mean seems like if something were gonna get done, would have happend by now....

Think I will contact my insurance company and check a few things out....

OK, so who do you use for insurance?????? Anyone.....

I use Geico, for now, as both car and truck, and 2 cycles are on the policy...I only carry liabiliy on my bikes, both paid for, didn't cost a lot....

Also, very expensive in Texas, my location for full coverage....99'superhawk---clean driving record--home owner--they quoted me $1560 per year---just for the one bike.....crazy.......If I make it two years with no accidents, the bike is paid for.....
Old 02-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Squid

SuperLoud

Springfield, MO

Full coverage $426yr

State Farm goes off of the cc's- same price no matter if its a 1000cc cruiser or a 1000RR.

I have my house, 2 cars, truck, bike and boat and I'm 40 with no accidents - so I get a pretty good price break for that .
Old 02-24-2006, 01:10 PM
SuperSport

Loco
Except you're 40... hehehe.
Old 02-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
All right I read it and bottom line is it is too negative. I have some personal experience here; in 1971 I crashed a CB750 four into a stone wall and spent a week in the Hospital. In 1993 I went down hard on a CB1100F and spent a week in intensive care and a week in the general ward of the Hospital. Now I do make good money and have health insurance through my employer. I did pay $2000 out of pocket for the 1993 get off and yes all my riding rear was a write off and I did have PAIN. However I do not expect nor do I seek pain and suffering compensation; nor do I expect anything more that getting through the affair in one piece. I have bike insurance but have always just bought liability because for what full coverage costs I can by a new bike every three or four years. I did rebuild both bikes… and two major accidents (there have been five minor ones) in 40 years well you do the math. I do think motorcycles can be dangerous and I accept that risk. Better to live a day as a Lion than a lifetime as a mouse! If you ride and don’t understand the risks you are fool in my book; it is also foolish to ride without a Hemet and protective gear. It does seem the bigger the fool the greater the need to be compensated beyond reason. Ride smart (I didn’t say slow) wear protective gear and slow down when it is required (you should be able to figure out when that is). If you do go down hope you can pull through it as I and many others have done and go on with your life. If you can’t accept the risks then shouldn’t you stop riding?
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by Loco";p=&quot
Except you're 40... hehehe.
He also lives in MO what could possibly happen in MO......show me. I've said this before but oh well......ins is more about where you live than what you ride. They both contribute to the final price but where you live seems to matter more.
Old 02-24-2006, 02:36 PM
MotoGP

I agree with Jim it is a very neg. article and while there is some good info on how to cover yourself we all know it's dangerous out there,(or at least we should)and some of us even thrive on that danger. Am I going to worry about every little thing he writes about....NO. Will I wear my gear all the time....already do. I think the video camera thing from the accident post is really a good idea, at least that way you don't get stuck into the he said she said scenario he mentions. Ride with your head on a swivel avoid all you can and minimize what you can't.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:21 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't read the article. Don't want to because it won't help me. But having lived through a very serious accident, I have a couple things to say.

The day of my crash was a long day on the bike. We rode in the rain, then got snowed on a little, then dropped down out of the mountains and got on dry pavement and tight twisties for an unbelievably long time. Northern California roads are amazing.

So for hours I was super-focused and dialed in, reacting quickly, braking hard to keep corner speeds reasonable for the street, then squirting full-throttle out of corners. It was an unbelievably cool day on the bike.

Then we got out onto Hwy 96 and the road opened up. We laughed about covering the 14 miles to the gas station in 7 minutes (not far form the truth). Anyway, that was a bit over the top and we continued to ride very aggressively. More so than I normally do on a street ride but the corners were not tight enough to require much speed adjustment and I told myself I'd be ok, even though my brain was telling me I was in the danger zone.

But the bottom line was that it was late in a long day of riding. I could feel my brain losing its sharpness and I was starting to struggle to keep the pace. In fact I had backed off a couple clicks.

But in my fatigue, my lines started getting a little sloppy. I cut inside of the outside tire lane and hit some loose stuff and was down before I even knew I was going down.

So, while there is no doubt that we were ridiing too fast and should have saved that s#it for the track, I went down because I had lost my sharpness. Had I recognized that and put myself in cruise mode, I would have been ok. As it is, I'm lucky to be alive and well!
Old 02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
MotoGP

Too true RC! I'm a little out of shape,(I'm not fat I'm just big boned!), and after 6-7 hard laps on the track I get real sloppy. I start missing lines and screwing up consecutive corners, that's when the hand goes up and I get the F off the track. It's a recipe for disaster, keep sharp or get off and re-energize.