Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

wheel bearing installation?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 03:34 AM
Squid

mortbike is on a distinguished road
wheel bearing installation?

Need advice on the best way to properly remove all oem front and rear wheel bearings and install new(ceramic) bearings. Special tools required? Thanks-Mort
Old 07-02-2010, 04:13 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Internal bearing puller is the best way.

If you going to be doing this kind of work a lot, buy a puller from OTC, Snap on, MATCO, etc, etc.

If this is a once a in a long deal.. You can get by with a cheap puller from a tool store like Harbor Freight
FT. LAUDERDALE FL #146
5365 WEST ATLANTIC BLVD
MARGATE, FL 33063
Phone: 954-935-9241
Or order one on line.

Yes it's $40... but the time and hassle saved by using a tool like this VS a hammer and punch,,, is worth it, even if you throw the thing in the trash after... Never mind if you keep it or sell it for a return.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I agree with EMarquez - if you can get the proper tool it makes any job easier/better. I have gotten by with a hammer and long punch or drift that I put a small curve on the end. Getting them out has always been a reasonable proposition, though I am sure a dedicated puller would make it simpler and more efficient. There is a distance collar between the bearings that you can usually move (at least on one side) to the side and get some purchase started with the punch. The bearing are ruined once removed so that lessens the worry in removing them and why I've been OK using this method. However, its more difficult and some are very difficult.
For installing, heating the hub and freezing the bearings for a couple hours makes the fit easier. Its critical to put the new ones in with a driver of some sort that will only contact the outer race - not the ***** or the inner race. You can usually find a socket of the correct diameter but it should be perfect. People have also used the old bearing but you run the risk of the ***** contacting each other and damaging the new one and of getting the old bearing stuck while driving in the new one. You just drive them in till they are seated - you will hear the change in pitch when banging indicating that you have hit the inner mating surface.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
Bikebandit had a closeout on the Motionpro bearing removers - I bought a set and they work great. A Park stem bearing remover is a nice addition too. JB
Old 07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Squid

thanks for info

Thanks for the info guys-I have a Park bicycle stem race remover but thought that might be too weak. Most folks say a punch/drift will get them out but I will now consider a puller too. I am even more concerned about the install. The guy at World Bearing that I bought the ceramic bearings from suggests pressing the bearings in with a threaded rod with nuts and press plates at each end but I don't know where to find that. I will ask him about that tool. The parts guy that I know at the Honda dealer suggested putting the bearings in the freezer that would allow them to go in easy-still investigating-will post results-thanks again-Mort
Old 07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
SuperSport

Yes - for install, I freeze the bearings and heat up the bearing seats, drop of oil and in they go. An upsidedown socket that is almost as big as the OD of the bearing makes a good driver. Dead-blow hammer works well for this.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Squid

bearing install

JB-How do you heat up the bearing seats? Thanks-Mort
Old 07-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Heat gun, hair dryer on high, butane pencil torch , heat lamp, OVEN... (need the right wife for this option... MINE SUGGESTED IT)
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to use the oven, have your wife remove the tire first and a scented candle for the kitchen would be in order.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:26 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

LOL.. tire was off,,,, I was in the garage contemplating how to evenly heat up a wheel to install a bearing ... Wife said...... " put it in the oven"......."That would work .. yes?"
Old 07-02-2010, 07:38 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
I use a map gas torch that is supposed to be for burning weeds, it has a nice rose bud tip which does a real nice job. Be careful if you use a pencil tip or any small tip to not overheat one spot.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:20 PM
SuperSport

I use a propane torch from the hardware store.
Old 07-13-2010, 09:31 AM
Former Superchicken Owner
SuperBike

RWhisen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Internal bearing puller is the best way.

Yes it's $40... but the time and hassle saved by using a tool like this VS a hammer and punch,,, is worth it, even if you throw the thing in the trash after... Never mind if you keep it or sell it for a return.
Worth every penny. Just pulled the bearings from a couple of wheels I bought from another forum member here and it would have been a MAJOR PITA if I hadn't bought one of these from Harbor Freight. Took 10 minutes tops to pull all the bearings in both wheels.