Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

VFR Bars/ Hawk Fairing interface

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
Question VFR Bars/ Hawk Fairing interface

Wonder if any of you guys w/ VFR bars can help me with this problem. I changed out the clip ons for these right after I bought the bike to help w/ the ergos. Have always had an issue with the dim/ bright switch contacting the bottom of the fairing. Recently, added the mirror extenders off of e-bay, to improve rear vision. After adding them, they exaggerated the conflicts with the fairing and bars, at one point to the extent of occasionally hitting the kill switch while turning left. NOT GOOD! I managed to use some rubber spacers between the fairing mounts and fairing to get it up off of that switch, but still have bright/dim switch conflicts and some further contact on more extreme turn angles. Next plan is to do some grinding on the mirror extender bases to make them better match the fairing contours. Then I'll see how much more shimming I can get away with. The ultimate limitation is the length of the threaded mirror mounts, as the shimming process leaves less and less bite for the nuts that secure them.

I don't want to have to cut the fairing. Any other suggestions?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
Yeah I have been using urethane spacers similar to you but still get some contact on the Hi/Lo switch as well. I have thought about using thread extenders to allow a bigger spacers, but I think I'm just going to cut the fairing.