Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

2 into 1 idea

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Captain Chaos
Squid

sweetriden76 is on a distinguished road
2 into 1 idea

I have been thinking of going with a two into one setup on my hawk, which I can easily fab up myself. Most of them I have seen are exiting out the right side silencer, is there any particular reason for this. When the bikes running theres more pressure and heat coming out of the left hand pipe, so it would make sense to me to use that one, plus you would gain a slight amount of length which may cure the flat spot that seems to appear with shortened cans. I thought I'd test this out and blocked the right pipe with several layers of the metal tape for doing ductwork, it held long enough to run it cruising some and some at wide open, also pulled the front end up to see if that felt the same...didn't seem to make any real difference in power, and it was smoother and quieter, decell popping went away as well...sometime in the future I'd like to so a single side swinger which is another good reason for a left exit exhaust...so if anyones tried it I'd like the hear your ideas, I put a dynojet kit and K&N in it and a whole days worth of me dynoing it and im stuck between two needle positions, its like an untunable spot Im trying to get rid of, also gonna make a difuser for the K&N to slow incoming air before it goes through the filter to see if that helps it...
Old 10-01-2009, 06:54 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Some folks have reported mixed results with a 2-1. I'd say it's doable for sure. At worst case you would have to adjust the collector placement to get the power peak where you want it.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Captain Chaos
Squid

yeah, thats not to much of a problem to move that stuff around, another issue I had was reversion in the pipe was causing the Air/Fuel pickup on the dyno to act up, which a 2 into 1 will probable do the same but maybe I can get a better reading then to help the tuning go a bit faster
Old 10-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Most people do a right-hand pipe because that is the most common placement for single pipes. Personally if I were to do it, I would go with a left-hander.
Old 10-01-2009, 09:15 AM
Captain Chaos
Squid

yeah I kind of thought it was mainly just because thats where they normally would go, personally I like to be different...
Old 10-01-2009, 10:29 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
I would make an undertail exhaust. Those are pretty different.
Old 10-01-2009, 04:49 PM
SuperSport
SuperSport

gboezio is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sweetriden76
yeah, thats not to much of a problem to move that stuff around, another issue I had was reversion in the pipe was causing the Air/Fuel pickup on the dyno to act up, which a 2 into 1 will probable do the same but maybe I can get a better reading then to help the tuning go a bit faster
Interesting, I have a problem that look like a reversion problem from the 2 to 1 and probably amplified by the back pressure of the turbo.
It happens around 5500 to 6500 RPM, the VE tables drop by 15 to 20 % in that aera, the O2 sensor was pretty rich before I adjusted the VE.
Old 10-01-2009, 06:26 PM
Captain Chaos
Squid

i think I was getting a falsely rich reading, it says rich, yet runs like its lean then low and behold I raise the needles a clip, taped off some of the K&N cause I didnt have the tools with me at home to re jet, and guess what runs like a champ...so I am going to replace the rubber snorkel that was cut by a previous owner, make a diffuser on the K&N which I'll get more into when I do it, basically a set of baffles to slow incoming air into the top half of the airbox without restricting volume...and do the 2 into 1 left exit, which people seem to have the 5k flat spot with shortened cans so with the left exit you gain some length over the traditional right exit so maybe that will allow the short can to work right do to a longer tuned length. so we'll see, I am alway experimenting with this stuff, if it was a fuel injected bike Id do a turbo setup, but its not, maybe in the future when I upgrade to an RC51 that will be a project.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Squid

aamikah is on a distinguished road
I think most single pipes go to the right to avoid the drive chain lower section on the left. But if the bike has one on each side, like the hawk, then there should be room for just one on the left.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:28 PM
SuperSport

jay956 is on a distinguished road
my vfr had a left exit exhaust, it was sweet