Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Track day front end evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2005, 08:23 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Track day front end evaluation

For those of you that have a front end swap in mind just thought I would give you an update on how mine performed in extreme use. My first session started off with a follow the leader warm up for four laps. After the fourth lap he waved us on so I started really pushing it. I was getting more confident so I really started getting on it and woops the front end just disapeared under me. I was in a tight left turn at about 70 and the bars just kicked right on me almost low siding me and the bike. If not for years of dirt ridding it would've went down for sure.

So into the pits I went to make adjustments and check my leathers for excrement. Luckily I go to the track with a buddy of mine who owns a GSXR1000 and he had the manual. We went from stock setting and then stiffend it up because I weigh about 200 and the SH is heavier as well. After messing around a couple of times we got it dialed in and it made a huge difference as I ran a personnal best lap time!

The first couple of times I went to the track I HAD to hang off and drag my knee to keep the bike fast through the corners. This time I didn't even come close to dragging my knee and the bike handled it like a race bike. The only minus was a very slight high speed wobble out of turn 14 to the front straight at 100 but I think that was more form me repositioning on the seat,(otherwords my fault).

By the way on Mon. there were 3 superhawks at the track including mine, I've never seen that many at the track, pretty cool!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:01 AM
SuperSport

NOrrTH is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Track day front end evaluation

Sounds like fun. In these parts Superhawks are very popular and the prices for used ones are very low so maybe thats playing a part in more people racing them.

I took my bike out for a little rip after Race Tech'ing the front end (valves and springs) and it felt so good I laughed out loud in my helmet. The down side is that I need to relearn how to ride my bike after two years of having a rock hard front end.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:34 PM
SuperSport

CNI Dawg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
Sounds like fun. In these parts Superhawks are very popular and the prices for used ones are very low so maybe thats playing a part in more people racing them.

I took my bike out for a little rip after Race Tech'ing the front end (valves and springs) and it felt so good I laughed out loud in my helmet. The down side is that I need to relearn how to ride my bike after two years of having a rock hard front end.
So you really like the Race Tech spring/valve mod ?
Did you do the rebound valve as well as compression valve ?

I'm about to do the RaceTech mod on mind.
Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:42 PM
SuperSport

Without exageration the difference is huge. I've fallen in love with my bike all over again.

No I didn't go with the rebound valves.

This was one of those mods that makes me wonder why the manufacturer would ever think stock was acceptable. Another couple of examples are:

Brake lines (rubber/SS)
wind screen (double bubble)
Old 11-10-2005, 02:48 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RC996";p=&quot
I made a bracket for the VTR that mounts at the lower fairing stay bolt for an Ohlins steering damper. I used a fork tube clamp from a GSX-R. No more head shake.
My thoughts exactly! I was even going to get a stock gsxr dampner for now because they're so cheap on ebay.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:36 PM
Squid

kfkraenz

Does anyone know a good place to get work done in the North East?

I got the S-hawk as an street/track day bike and I love it. At the last track day (summit point, team pro motion) the suspension guru offered to give new riders some advice. Since I'm 6'4 240lbs I'm obviously to heavy for the stock suspension. He showed me that with the way I have to set up the bike (all pre-loads on stiff) that the springs have no travel left. Since I don't have a garage and am just learning the basics of bike maintineme (just started changing my own oil!!!) I figure I need help with the racetech springs/valves. I was wondering if anyone knew of a place within a couple hundered miles of Philidelphia that could get this set up right?

Does anyone else have any advice on other winter projects for an AMATURE mechanic. I got frame sliders (I already lo-sided the bike, but I figure next time I won't brake as much...) and SS brakes that a buddy is giong to help me install.

Thanks,
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Squid

a13x

http://www.computrackboston.com/ - Boston

http://www.computracknyc.com/ - NYC
Old 11-10-2005, 06:39 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by NOrrTH";p=&quot
Without exageration the difference is huge. I've fallen in love with my bike all over again.

No I didn't go with the rebound valves.

This was one of those mods that makes me wonder why the manufacturer would ever think stock was acceptable. Another couple of examples are:

Brake lines (rubber/SS)
wind screen (double bubble)
Just got the SS brake & clutch line kit the other day.
Installed the front brake lines this morning before work.
Much firmer feel to the lever now.
Putting the EBC HH pads on the front tomorrow morning.
Will do the rear brake later.
On the inital quick linspection it looks like I'll have to remove the fairing to do the clutch line

Got a DB screen after trying a ZG Sport Touring screen.
Found the ST screen had too much helmet turbulance at speeds over 80mph. The DB is much better ! Helmet is in the wind but not the turbulance created by the screen.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:40 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by superhawk22";p=&quot
For those of you that have a front end swap in mind just thought I would give you an update on how mine performed in extreme use. My first session started off with a follow the leader warm up for four laps. After the fourth lap he waved us on so I started really pushing it. I was getting more confident so I really started getting on it and woops the front end just disapeared under me. I was in a tight left turn at about 70 and the bars just kicked right on me almost low siding me and the bike. If not for years of dirt ridding it would've went down for sure.

So into the pits I went to make adjustments and check my leathers for excrement. Luckily I go to the track with a buddy of mine who owns a GSXR1000 and he had the manual. We went from stock setting and then stiffend it up because I weigh about 200 and the SH is heavier as well. After messing around a couple of times we got it dialed in and it made a huge difference as I ran a personnal best lap time!

The first couple of times I went to the track I HAD to hang off and drag my knee to keep the bike fast through the corners. This time I didn't even come close to dragging my knee and the bike handled it like a race bike. The only minus was a very slight high speed wobble out of turn 14 to the front straight at 100 but I think that was more form me repositioning on the seat,(otherwords my fault).

By the way on Mon. there were 3 superhawks at the track including mine, I've never seen that many at the track, pretty cool!
Glad you are getting it dialed in bro !!
Old 11-11-2005, 08:01 AM
MotoGP

Thanks, it really wasn't an issue on the street but as you can guess the track is a different world.

As far as getting work done, get a manual and dig in. It really isn't that hard to do and the feeling you get from doing your own work is incredible. You get this huge improvement stand back and say "I did that!" But if your all thumbs or just not comfortable yet I can understand. The other reason I do it is I know that it's done right or I messed up not someone that I'm paying $70 an hour to mess up.

I agree that race tech and valves is a huge improvement over stock. But if you get the time and money the upgrade to an RC51 or similar front end is well worth it. It's not just the fact that the forks and springs are soo much better but the triples on the SH are a joke. Sorry for being so harsh but it's true they look like they should be on a bicycle compared to the RC or any other race rep. Before the change, coming into corners hot I could feel the forks and triples FLEX big time under hard braking. Now it's much smoother and less stress not only to the bike but the rider as well.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:39 AM
SuperSport

ya ya ya, rub it in lol :wink:

Superbrace next mod on the list.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:36 PM
MotoGP

That should help, oh and don't worry your getting the better shock biatch! So I'll rub while I can.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:53 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
north, I told you that you'd like the gold valves! Still waiting for pics of the lower though!

kfkraenz - sent you a PM about a suspension guru not too far from us.