Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Stock shifter bearing modification

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014, 02:53 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Stock shifter bearing modification

Hey guys. I wanted to start this thread as a common source for all those smart folks who have installed either a bushing, or bearing at the stock shifter mounting bolt, and turning down the shifter bolt.

I would like to do this mod, and i have a bearing house nearby to help with measurements.

If you've done this mod, please post up what you did, how it helped, and any part numbers or sources you may have. Once i am done i will do the same.

Thanks!
James
Old 03-23-2014, 04:01 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
I had a needle bearing installed on my JDM billet shifter. I didn't do the actual work as I don't own a lathe, but I measured up the bolt and found a needle bearing that would work and off I went to the machinist. End result is great, with no play and smooth action.

Wish I could give you some part numbers but it's been a while and I no longer have any of that info on hand..... Just measure and go to a bearing web site and you will find what you need, it's what I did.....
Old 03-23-2014, 04:32 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
As I PM'ed you..

Yes, I have installed a bearing, yes it works, yes it was a pain to fit, and for me required two other operations a machined spacer, and machining the OEM center bolt. , and NO, in NO WAY is it better then installing silicon bronze bushing that is reamed to size and properly fits the OEM center bolt.
Old 03-24-2014, 06:57 AM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Thanks for the replies! I got the pm, and was hoping you would share here since you have done the mod.

So your thought is to leave the oem bolt alone, and bore the shifter for a silicone bronze bushing?

James
Old 03-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by thedeatons
Thanks for the replies! I got the pm, and was hoping you would share here since you have done the mod.

So your thought is to leave the oem bolt alone, and bore the shifter for a silicone bronze bushing?

James

YES, absolutely
This is a low speed (as in motion and angle of movement) low pressure rotation point.
Bearing is overkill and harder to install.

if you were to press out the old bushing, press in a new one, bore to slight undersize and ream to finial dimension it would be a simple and quick MOd that would end with a precise fit between shifter and bolt...add some good lube, clean and regrease once a year....and wear will be next to none.
Old 03-24-2014, 04:28 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Anyone want to buy some silicone bronze tubing and make some "perfect fit" bushings for us?

James
Old 03-24-2014, 04:55 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Anyone want to buy some silicone bronze tubing and make some "perfect fit" bushings for us?

James
NO....

But if someone wants to.. they will need to source and supply the center bolt as well.. The three parts must be in the machinist possession at the same time...

Shifter to be Modded
Bushing material
Center bolt.

If your looking for a true precision fit that gets you better than what we get from OEM set up or aftermarket..... The bushing needs to be fit to the shifter, and then reamed to fit the center bolt that will be used on the bike it is to be installed to.
Old 03-24-2014, 09:05 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

Meaning the center bolts have a tolerance, and are most likely all over the map with regard to measurements... correct?

James
Old 04-07-2014, 06:20 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

I just started down this road, and will update with pics as I can.

I sourced a stock shifter, and easily got the stock insert out. I also ground the casting seam off all around the shifter using a flap disc wheel.

Later this week I hope to take the shifter and bolt by a bearing house and source a bronze bushing.

Thanks!
James
Old 04-07-2014, 08:44 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Later this week I hope to take the shifter and bolt by a bearing house and source a bronze bushing.

Thanks!
James
Are you thinking your going to find a off the shelf bushing that fits the application?

I don't think that's not going to happen... The bolt is not dimensional round "enough" and will need to be trued up, best of done with a tool post grinder or better, but could get a good finish by turning on a lathe as well. .
Then the bushing fitted as a close tolerance press fit to the shifter, bored to slight undersize, and reamed to final size.
Old 04-13-2014, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
I had a needle bearing installed on my JDM billet shifter. I didn't do the actual work as I don't own a lathe, but I measured up the bolt and found a needle bearing that would work and off I went to the machinist. End result is great, with no play and smooth action.

Wish I could give you some part numbers but it's been a while and I no longer have any of that info on hand..... Just measure and go to a bearing web site and you will find what you need, it's what I did.....
My shifters now come with ball bearing pivots. The first design had a plain (teflon) bushing but that was a few years ago. There are pluses and minuses to both, but I found that most people liked the ball bearing version so that's why I went that direction on the redesign.

Just clarifying...
Old 04-13-2014, 10:52 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
cool