Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

SOOO went to replace air filter and.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:51 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by nuhawk
I run a set of the member's stacks that first happened here a couple years ago. The K&N with the stacks is a breathing beast. I takes a bit of tuner to get it right. 35mph to 120 in third gear - just one sweet power-on roll. No bogs, no peaks just a steady pull.
I agree, i do not have the different stacks you mention, but mine is tuned like you stated, no bogs, no peaks, just steady pull. No surge, no stumble, just strong smooth power climb easy or WFO throttle.

Glad to hear i am not the only one that favors the K&N. I enjoy the tinkering and tuning.

On that subject, i recently installed a Sudco Racing FCR 41 on my KTM Duke II SM in place of the piece of crap CV carb. The FCR was kicking my A$$, and after four of five remove rejet instances over the past several months i finally got it hooking up great. By seat of pants of course and not by Dyno.

Last edited by Thumper; 11-24-2011 at 05:54 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:04 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Thumper
Keep the K&N. Much better than stock if tuned correct, which most owners do not take the extra time to do.

Sell the oem to someone else.
As you stated in the other thread about me picking on everyone and having no facts to back up my statements how about this, which I happened across....

"Hi Mike,
I do not have all the details documented from the HRC jet kit but I can
tell you what I remember. I do not recommend running the air bleed
plugs. These were used when running without an air filter. Keep the
stock air filter, use the HRC slides and needles. The kit came with two
sets of needles, use the leaner set to start. Jets were about 175F 180R.

That is what I remember...

Bob Hayashida
BVH Motorsports
Mech Engineering & Race Support
US & Canadian Distributor - Moriwaki Engineering
2225 Market St. Reno, NV 89502
800.311.4284 or 775.322.4311"

I can forward the original message to you, if you think I'm making it up and RCVTR can confirm this was really Bob's contact info.... (RIP)

And he is quite clear on running the stock filter.

Last edited by 8541Hawk; 12-01-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Superstock

bass4dude is on a distinguished road
I didn't realize how much the K&N was snot until I took it out last night and put an OEM back in there after sitting in my shop for... 4 months?

After riding on it I do have to agree with Mike. I spent around 20-30hrs tuning and re-tuning the carbs with the K&N and it never felt good and there was always a problem spot. With the OEM, it took me an hour with a wideband sensor (no dyno ) to have it nearly perfect across the entire rev. range. Seat of pants suggests that's true

I'm not telling anyone to get rid of the K&N, I have them installed on both of my VF1000F's and love them; I'm suggesting that you go and buy one (I paid $26 inc. shipping) and test it out. If you don't like it, don't buy coffee for a week and you've made your money back right there.

It's a simple, and easy test that doesn't require refuting everything that you know about the bike; this is a community forum about improving/helping everyone with their motorcycles so we should keep it that way and post what we have done in order to attain the best running from your bike. If you disagree with what's been done, then don't do it, but don't go around bashing everyone (not at anyone in specific, just in general terms here) and creating an overall bad mood on the forum.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:55 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
If anyone is so inclined to want to prove the a-holes(me included) of the forum wrong, I have a k+n filter with blockoffs, used, ready for you. $25 including shipping, will send it out tomorrow.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
I can provide one, free of charge... Pay shipping and it's yours...
Old 12-02-2011, 05:11 PM
SuperBike

I am guessing if they are in the US, it probably is the same price as coming from Sweden. But, anyone who wants one can pretty much have them for free plus shipping. That's how good they are.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
So answer me this, if my bike runs damn well with the kn would it run better with the stock filter dropped back in, or will I have to retune for the stock filter. I did none of the tuning btw, bought it this way and it does not run bad.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:10 PM
SuperBike

You would have to tune it, but would likely get it right within the 2nd or 3rd try, and it typically would run better, get better fuel economy, and enlarge many aspects of your life...one being your wallet.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM
SuperBike

See, I know that the information that we collectively have on jetting is good enough that we can, with knowing the pipes and mods, put a person within a jet size. The information is just that good for the stock filter, or maybe, just maybe, the stock filter is just that good. I am confident that if you were incapable of it yourself, you could use recommendations here and with a good local shop, have it back in a state that would make you considerably more happy. Obviously this would go without saying that you aren't going to be anymore happy with HP numbers, as there just isn't a lick of difference to speak of. It has to do with the overall running of the vehicle, the fuel economy, and the fairly linear life of the stock filter which is not mirrored by a K+N.

I understand RK1's advice, though. Some people couldn't feel a dick in their **** if they had a dick in their ****. So, a good running bike versus a bad one feel remarkably the same, leaving said person with a "did I just loose a portion of my life?". I changed my filter and jetting on a good running bike, and I am happy that I did it.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

Yeah, I tend to think that after cleaning and servicing, which I believe must be done more often than standard filter changes, buying the spray, the filter, and jet kit, you would be better off staying stock and never touching the pieces of crap. I do get that there are bikes that might benefit, but my 78 KZ750B was not one of them and required me to RTV some of the pleats to block it off and get it to run properly. I used duct tape as a tuning device to figure out how many pleats to go. That is what happens when you cant get needles. Now, some people wouldnt have even known what I was tuning out of the bike by doing so just because they would never notice the problem in the first place.

Last edited by autoteach; 12-03-2011 at 08:55 AM.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by autoteach
Yeah, I tend to think that after cleaning and servicing, which I believe must be done more often than standard filter changes
Nope, less often than an OEM filter
Old 12-02-2011, 09:34 PM
SuperBike

often
Well, disregarding my qualifiers and context, sure you are right. But I can do that too. But, you are one of the lucky ones to have a perfectly tuned bike using the filter that will remain nameless, some wont be so lucky. As for cleaning, the average person (Which I am not) will have to clean their, um er, filter more often than necessary from dirt due to the natural drying of the filter material. Now, I don't work on bikes that often, and I have only worked on 1 or 2 different models, of which maybe .25 of them had a , er, um, filter...so I am sort of a dipshift when it comes to this. Actually, I only work on lawnmowers. By lawnmowers I mean I read books. By books I mean I listen to them on tape. By tape I mean I watch the movie. Anywho, I don't know what I am talking about, which hopefully brings new value to this, er, um, filter that I am just too dumb to get "perfect". How does $25 including shipping sound?
Old 12-03-2011, 05:42 AM
SuperBike

sure you are right.
same game
Old 12-03-2011, 05:45 AM
SuperBike

i guess we will just have to disagree on this one.
As previously stated in post #39
Old 12-03-2011, 09:01 AM
SuperBike

The thing is that you have just accused me of selectively quoting, which was my accusation of you. My demonstration of what you do was innocuous. You continue to selectively quote to support yourself and your opinion. Meanwhile, I have represented almost everything I have said by qualifying it as an opinion. The only thing that you have qualified is yourself as an ***. Maybe we can get the moderators to shut this thread down too.

Brilliant filter for sale, $25 to your door.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Squid

Scott Shand is on a distinguished road
+1 with Thumper on the K&N filter. I have used both the stock and the K&N. I have also toyed around with a couple of airbox mods. When all was done I have retained the stock airbox configuration (including the stacks) and the K&N air filter. I have rejetted and tuned to maximize the current set-up. I was blessed with the advise of Mr. Mike Velasco who now resides here on the Kitsap Peninsula of Washington state. He knows a thing or two about tuning :-) He ran the DynoJet dyno at Brothers Powersports here in Bremerton, WA and my Superchicken gets 107.47 HP with 67.60 ft/lbs of torque. The fuel/air ratio is very nice starting around 14 at idle, dipping to just above 12:1 between 4 - 7K rpm and staying very close to 13:1 from 7 - 9.5K rpm. The bike runs just fine with the K&N installed.
Old 12-05-2011, 06:54 PM
SuperBike

The thing is that you have just accused me of selectively quoting, which was my accusation of you. My demonstration of what you do was innocuous. You continue to selectively quote to support yourself and your opinion. Meanwhile, I have represented almost everything I have said by qualifying it as an opinion. The only thing that you have qualified is yourself as an ***. Maybe we can get the moderators to shut this thread down too.

Brilliant filter for sale, $25 to your door
Not me, I didn't ask for threads to be shutdown.

Edited for you so as to be sure to not selectively " u

Last edited by Thumper; 12-05-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:00 PM
SuperSport

thetophatflash is an unknown quantity at this point
Sooo, I guess the real answer is that nobody has really completed the job of tuning and dyno testing with both set ups and give us the "true" answer in a quantified form.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by thetophatflash
Sooo, I guess the real answer is that nobody has really completed the job of tuning and dyno testing with both set ups and give us the "true" answer in a quantified form.
ding ding ding, we have a winner.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:40 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
Jeez!

If someone runs a K&N, and their bike runs great... I say, stick with it.

If someone runs OEM, and that works great... same answer.

It all comes down to "If it works, don't fix it".
++++1
Old 12-05-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Well Tweety has done a bit of dyno testing with them but because he does not have reams of print outs to post, his opinion is disqualified by the people who don't wish to believe.

Moriwaki did extensive tests and so did Honda USA (AKA Erion Racing) so between Dan Kyle and Bob H. (R.I.P.) I think they might have an idea on which one works the best.

I posted a e-mail I got from Bob, in which he does say to run the stock filter (in direct response to asking about a K&N filter, among other things) and talking with Dan, he has said the same thing.

Though I only have the e-mail (which yeah I could have made up myself but I did think I had a little bit more credibility than that) and the conversation with Dan wasn't recorded, which I guess means that doesn't count either.

So I guess I'm in the same boat as Tweety, As there is no concrete "proof" to post.

Which then leads to the final answer which is, if you really want to run one, go right ahead.

Also as there is only one dyno chart posted (which shows a grand total of a peak 2.4 hp gain with around $1K worth of parts and dyno time) and also just happens to leave off the torque curve. It also shows (it would be nice if the chart listed RPM and gear instead of just speed) that below 40-45 mph the bike makes less power than stock.

The rest are just guys saying "It runs great"

About all I can say is I would think I have a touch of credibility in setting up the carbs on this bike. The carb set up thread, I wrote, does seem to have a few hits and a bit of a following..... And I gave my K&N away because even with the amount of work, testing and research I have done on this set up, I could never get the thing to run without a hole in the power band somewhere with that filter.

With that, I'm done with the topic, you guys argue as to why it works so well for you.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Finally -- my dyno printout

I hope you guys can see this -- I've linked to a scanned copy of the dyno run for my 98 Superhawk. You might recall that I bought it with a K&N installed. It's all there to see (hopefully). The blue lines are the "after" readings, the red, the "before." There's still a dip in torque right after 4000 rpm. If you look at the red torque line, you can see how messed up it was with the K&N before it got tuned.

I don't suspect this proves anything one way or the other, especially since both the before and after are with the K&N in.

However, I don't feel that dip in torque just after 4k rpm. Yeah, maybe my senses are dulled, but I've ridden and raced quite a few bikes and it doesn't bother me. Nevertheless, the dip is there.

Just thought it would be of interest -- not trying to add any more fuel to the fire.

98 Superhawk dyno run from 2000 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:52 PM
SuperBike

Name:  DSCF0009.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  174.4 KB
Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tormoz
I hope you guys can see this -- I've linked to a scanned copy of the dyno run for my 98 Superhawk. You might recall that I bought it with a K&N installed. It's all there to see (hopefully). The blue lines are the "after" readings, the red, the "before." There's still a dip in torque right after 4000 rpm. If you look at the red torque line, you can see how messed up it was with the K&N before it got tuned.

I don't suspect this proves anything one way or the other, especially since both the before and after are with the K&N in.

However, I don't feel that dip in torque just after 4k rpm. Yeah, maybe my senses are dulled, but I've ridden and raced quite a few bikes and it doesn't bother me. Nevertheless, the dip is there.

Just thought it would be of interest -- not trying to add any more fuel to the fire.

98 Superhawk dyno run from 2000 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Thanks definitely of interest. If you're still running this way, what's your average MPG for fuel economy?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
SuperSport

Your run?
Old 12-07-2011, 06:07 AM
SuperBike

Your run?
yep yep, finally found it
Old 12-07-2011, 06:21 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by CrankenFine
Thanks definitely of interest. If you're still running this way, what's your average MPG for fuel economy?
Fuel economy? Probably about like a mid '80's Honda Civic. In other words, not great for a 2-wheeler ... probably 31 - 32 mpg average.
Old 12-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by VTRsurfer
The torque curve should look like a tabletop... like Thumpers'.
That's definitely a lot flatter and more even than mine. Not much to complain about there, that's for sure.
Old 12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Connie Demico does toad?
Superstock

GlockPointer is on a distinguished road
Well I ordered a HiFlo Filtro air filter, I hope that is stock enough. For fun I will drop it in on this tune and see what happens. If I get the expected result I will remove and wait until I get some time to pull the carbs, do Mikes Mod, and try it then. After my best efforts I will post up on all my findings.
My bike runs well enough with the kn that I shouldn't screw with it but come on, if it could run better without that slightly flat spot in the low end then I am all for it.
I have Dunlops and a kn, I will try Continentals and HiFlo. What do yall like for oil?

HiFlo Filtro
Old 12-09-2011, 03:42 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tormoz
That's definitely a lot flatter and more even than mine. Not much to complain about there, that's for sure.
I guess there could always be some additional tweaking, but I am still satisfied all these years and miles later. This run was after mods and dialing in setup by feel and seat of pants. Best I recall from way back then is was a hot day, only run I ever made on this bike.

Quick Reply: SOOO went to replace air filter and.....