Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

SOOO went to replace air filter and.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 05:21 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

mertechperformance is on a distinguished road
SOOO went to replace air filter and.....

Turns out I had/have a drop in k&n in there. Bike ran well, should I keep it and sell the new oem or put the new oem in?
Old 11-18-2011, 05:34 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
if your bike ran very well with the K&N,i wouldnt mess with it.its hard to get the bike right with them.so you got a good thing going.
out of curiosity,i would drop it in just to see how it runs.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Back Marker

Tormoz is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by saige
if your bike ran very well with the K&N,i wouldnt mess with it.its hard to get the bike right with them.so you got a good thing going.
out of curiosity,i would drop it in just to see how it runs.
My '98 came with a K&N and it runs fine, but I'd be curious too about any differences with the stock one.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:43 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

yeah i was thinking the same thing give the stock a try.

(have 2 bros slip ons)

with the k&n it has no flat spots no popping on decel, needs a lil choke when engine is cold, and when warmed up may stumble a tiny bit if i just rev it a bit quickly off idle (unloaded, not while in gear then it's FINE). here's a vid of it running.

Honda Superhawk Two brothers exhaust update on mertechperformance bike - YouTube go to around 1:30 to hear it run.

Last edited by mertechperformance; 11-18-2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:57 PM
the boss
SuperBike

the bike sounds real good the way it is.really strong and consistent.
i say give the oem filter a shot.if there is no change or ends up being a lil better,than in long run.you will save yourself money when needing to change.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:58 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

spend more money, lol k&n is good for a damn good amount of filter cleaning intervals, my price on the oem filter was almost 50
Old 11-18-2011, 06:08 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
If you can swing it, grab a stock filter. Think... what do you have to compare the K&N to? You only know the best that you've ridden your bike.

I did the same thing. Had a K&N when I bought it, wanted to keep it in cause it was pricey and had a good reputation with the name (and a stock filter was "unnecessary money"). Stock filter runs noticeably better, but I couldn't have known that until I tried.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:26 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

I have a stock filter here, planning on trying it.
I just have a feeling if i keep k&n that stock filter out of package is gonna worth a lot less than new in package
Old 11-18-2011, 07:02 PM
the boss
SuperBike

if you decide the stock filter does the bike no justice,you might lose a couple of bucks,but thats not to bad.try it out.
plus im sure there are others dying to know the results lol.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

here's a pic of the plugs. looks pretty decent.

Name:  IMG_20111118_203158.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  28.8 KB
Old 11-18-2011, 08:40 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep the K&N. Much better than stock if tuned correct, which most owners do not take the extra time to do.

Sell the oem to someone else.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:41 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

SOO MANY OPINIONS! lol
Old 11-21-2011, 10:35 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Give the stock a try, then if you don't like it, put the K&N back.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:12 PM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Thumper
Keep the K&N. Much better than stock if tuned correct, which most owners do not take the extra time to do.

Got anything to back this assertion up? That is absolutely the first time I have ever seen that on this forum, and this topic has been covered extensively by people who have spent a LOT of time trying to get them tuned correctly with K&Ns.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

19 dyno runs, at least 8 hours total on the dyno tuning... More than that off...
All with the apropriorate tools like WB plugged into the exhaust, and the knowledge how to use them... I ended up binning the K&N... Feel free to drop by and show me how to do it, I'll supply coffee and pastires...

IMHO not at all better than stock... At best equal performance... At best...
Old 11-21-2011, 06:09 PM
SuperBike

Nope, I care not to share info with non-believers. I have mine tuned near perfect on Dyno (1 time to verify I might add) and to be honest I am not wasting my time digging up settings from 6 or 7 years ago. The bike runs perfect with K&N, no smog stuff, block-offs, pipes, jet kit and ignition adv.

Some owners just need to buy an FI bike.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:04 PM
SuperBike

Nope, I care not to share info with non-believers. I have mine tuned near perfect on Dyno (1 time to verify I might add) and to be honest I am not wasting my time digging up settings from 6 or 7 years ago. The bike runs perfect with K&N, no smog stuff, block-offs, pipes, jet kit and ignition adv.

Some owners just need to buy an FI bike.
Just think how good it would run with a stock filter.

K&N much better than stock filter. Simply not true, condescending tone notwithstanding.

Last edited by killer5280; 11-21-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:25 PM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=killer5280;319110]Just think how good it would run with a stock filter.

QUOTE]

Really! I guess i better jump on servicehonda.com and order up a replacement O.E.M. filter so i can see how GREAT it runs. Hey thanks for your input
Old 11-21-2011, 07:40 PM
SuperBike

[QUOTE=Thumper;319116]
Originally Posted by killer5280
Just think how good it would run with a stock filter.

QUOTE]

Really! I guess i better jump on servicehonda.com and order up a replacement O.E.M. filter so i can see how GREAT it runs. Hey thanks for your input
Good idea.

I'm not saying your bike doesn't run good with a K&N, but no one has ever produced any evidence that a K&N is much better than a stocker. They lose horsies in the middle with K&Ns.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:49 PM
SuperBike

Good idea.

I am being sarcastic, there is no way i am replacing my K&N with a stock filter.

You have Dyno examples of the so called power lose at mid-range with K&N and not when using OEM

Last edited by Thumper; 11-21-2011 at 07:52 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:03 PM
SuperBike

I am being sarcastic, there is no way i am replacing my K&N with a stock filter.

You have Dyno examples of the so called power lose at mid-range with K&N and not when using OEM
I know you were being sarcastic, but I'm being serious. They run better and are easier to tune with stock filters, and there is no gain except perhaps at the very top with a K&N.
Search around. This has been discussed at length on this and other forums.
I don't have dyno charts, but I bet Tweety does.

Last edited by killer5280; 11-21-2011 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:22 PM
SuperBike

They run better and are easier to tune with stock filters, and there is no gain except perhaps at the very top with a K&N.
I don't need to search around, i have had this bike since 99 and an old member of RLZ (maybe you were also) that pre-dates Superhawkforum.com. Not that means anything either. Seen all the owners over the years bitch about jetting and K&N filters.

As i stated before and you hint to above "most owners do not take the extra time to do" the jetting correctly with or without a K&N.

Maybe this TN owner will have to meet up with this GA owner someday and swap rides. Always fun to try another SuperChicken

Last edited by Thumper; 11-21-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:25 PM
SuperBike

I don't need to search around, i have had this bike since 99 and an old member of RLZ (maybe you were also) that pre-dates Superhawkforum.com. Not that means anything either. Seen all the owners over the years bitch about jetting and K&N filters.

As i stated before and you hint to above "most owners do not take the extra time to do" the jetting correctly with or without a K&N.
Yes, but the general consensus among those who have taken the time is that they run better with stock filters.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:28 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough

Maybe this TN owner will have to meet up with this GA owner someday and swap rides. Always fun to try another SuperChicken
Yeah I was on RLZ and also on Sport-twins before that, like it really matters.

I like how you say you won't share anything because you are not believed with your unsubstantiated claims and you won't waste any time looking for the info....

So that just leaves the other members listening to us hacks that can't tune anything (yeah I tried a K&N and after many different trials, gave the thing away) to give them advice.....

So unless you can actually post some real information, not just claims of correct running, I'll stay with the advice I recived from my old Moriwaki contacts.... Which was to run the stock filter..... I guess they can't tune worth a **** either.....
Old 11-21-2011, 10:03 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
Yeah I was on RLZ and also on Sport-twins before that, like it really matters.

I like how you say you won't share anything because you are not believed with your unsubstantiated claims and you won't waste any time looking for the info....

So that just leaves the other members listening to us hacks that can't tune anything (yeah I tried a K&N and after many different trials, gave the thing away) to give them advice.....

So unless you can actually post some real information, not just claims of correct running, I'll stay with the advice I recived from my old Moriwaki contacts.... Which was to run the stock filter..... I guess they can't tune worth a **** either.....
I can tell you this, they are Japanese. how does this matter? it doesn't.

Yeah, so, anywho. Working at the shop has had my butt on a lot of bikes. Many of them "tuned", very few that I would be happy with. I can say for most 70's and 80's bikes, they leave our shop running better. We have had lifetime owners, who settled for "it runs perfectly", leave our shop and call back to say that it runs better than it did from the factory. We have never had anyone call after a K+N install call back and tell us this. Why? Because, almost without a doubt, the K+N screws the AFR so bad that only custom needles, springs, and jets can correct it. Seeing as my centerless grinding machine is down (two grinders with flapper wheels), and my fine motor control is going to crap, I will likely suggest to all our customers, my friends, priests (we do have a minister rider, and another who wants to get into riding), dont F- with a K+N unless they are the only choice left on the planet. There are some, rear this carefully, instances where they work. This happens when a company makes a jet kit to go with their exhaust, intake, and other mods. Package deals. rare as hens teeth, tho. Proceed with caution or stupidity, whichever you prefer.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:49 PM
MandownMertech
Superstock

Your shop is a great one then, most shops half *** all tuning/ jetting and a lot flat out won't touch a non stock bike. Glad to see there's a few damned good shops out in the world.

Then again I see what you're saying but for the "racers" and others insistent on running a k&n style pod or other type filter most seem *** out of luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 06:51 AM
Squid

stormingjoe is on a distinguished road
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Advantage of having your own dyno:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...59/#post259096

What would we do without Tweety?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lazn
Advantage of having your own dyno:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...59/#post259096

What would we do without Tweety?
Argue less, most likely...
Old 11-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
Argue less, most likely...
I thought that was my job......

Quick Reply: SOOO went to replace air filter and.....