Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Sick of buying a battery...

Old 08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Post a photo of your battery so we know exactly what type your using.
Worst case scenario is you may have to purchase a new battery(due to improper charging method) and a new voltage regulator(cause hey, they just go bad). Most of us had to do this already. If not, put it in your budget for down the road.
Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
bought at advance .
Attached Thumbnails Sick of buying a battery...-dscf0150.jpg  
Old 08-07-2008, 07:04 AM
Squid

SLSblackhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by BLAKCK HAWK
bought at advance .
You buy the cheap battery at walmart or adv auto and you're bound to get what you pay for. I reccomend the sealed Yuasu-
Old 08-07-2008, 10:29 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
OK, you have a sealed-type battery going by the photo. Just a lesser quality compared to a Yuasa. Not that that one won't work, but you should have 12.2-13 volts of charge on it just sitting there. If you don't, go get a Yuasa battery. Treat yourself to a good battery and spend more time riding.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Squid

SLSblackhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by motojoe
OK, you have a sealed-type battery going by the photo. Just a lesser quality compared to a Yuasa. Not that that one won't work, but you should have 12.2-13 volts of charge on it just sitting there. If you don't, go get a Yuasa battery. Treat yourself to a good battery and spend more time riding.

+1

And a Battery Tender makes a world of difference too.

Good Luck!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:39 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
i'm back dudes, with no new news really, i got the batt back in the bike , and have not tested the r/r yet. gotta fix a flat 1st. hope to check it tommorrow and fix that flat. so i hope i can get the you guys back to help if i or other owners need it.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:55 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Hate to tell you this, but if the tire has a puncture its best to replace it if you're going to run it at speed. Otherwise get an internal plug type patch. That, of course, will require removing the tire from the rim.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
i was gonna plug it with a car plug fROm the outside, like i did with 2 other rear tires, but i'm using some sealer like slime. what do ya think ?
Old 08-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Sounds like you need to take class in basic motorcycle repair or find a the expendable income to afford this sport by taking your bike to the dealership for repairs. We all like to cut corners when it comes to spending money on our bikes. But in consideration of safety, I recommend NOT plugging a motorcycle tire or using "slime". Unless it is to get you home until you can replace the tire. The reason for the not using a plug is the plys of the tire are flexed under normal riding conditions. A plug mounted from the outside has a greater chance of coming out versus a "patch plug" mounted from the inside. Slime is not good for streebikes because it is considered to be unstable and has a harder time keeping the wheel balanced. The best advice we could give would be to get a new tire and have it professionally mounted and balanced. To save a few bucks, take the wheel off your bike yourself and take it to the stealership.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:23 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
glad i have tough skin. motojoe,i plugged 2 other rear tires-figured that was cool, since makers advertise the plugs [ i don't believe all ads], and it's not SLIME for cars - its designed for bikes and balances out the tires. i'm gonna make this short. read it at WeBay.

i don't know how to make a link [motojoe,show-me please], so copy and paste this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HARLE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-22-2008, 10:40 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

I meant no disrespect. Glad you have thick skin.
Old 08-22-2008, 11:22 AM
MotoGP

Another problem with slime is that it makes it near impossible to do an internal patch, thereby ruining the tire. It should only be used in an emergency, such as getting a flat at midnight in the bad part of town.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:37 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want to save a buck until you can buy a new tire find someone who has a take off in good shape or buy a Shinko, tire plugs are like Russian roulette.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:50 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by superhawk22
If you want to save a buck until you can buy a new tire find someone who has a take off in good shape or buy a Shinko, tire plugs are like Russian roulette.
+1
Old 09-01-2008, 07:54 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
WELL back to the batt sit-ation, i added water and rode it on 8-31, no problems , started good about 10x, i'll be checking the volts probly 2morrow. check back and see. i still think i'm gonna need a r/r. if i do i'll need some advice on which one.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
you can put tubes in motorcycle tires. my hawk got a screw in one of my near new conti-attacks. so now its got a tube in the back tire. plugs are only garunteed up to 85mph, tubes dont alter the speed rating of a tire. a tube wil make the tire a bit stiffer though.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Squid

BLAKCK HAWK
Zedicus ; link me to these TUBES ..
Old 09-03-2008, 02:20 PM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zedicus
you can put tubes in motorcycle tires. my hawk got a screw in one of my near new conti-attacks. so now its got a tube in the back tire. plugs are only garunteed up to 85mph, tubes dont alter the speed rating of a tire. a tube wil make the tire a bit stiffer though.
IIRC, putting a tube in a tubeless type tire will increase heat within the tire during riding and could push it past its safe limit. it may work, but I don't think i'd put total confidence in it personally
Old 09-04-2008, 12:51 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
As it turns out, plugs will repeatedly stay in at over 150 mph and through winter and rain. Just use off-the-shelf self-vulcanizing. They can last the whole life of the tire. I have done this "experiment" many times on different tires with the same results. No one will recommend it out of fear (except me)but this is my testimony. Just in case anyone was wondering the limits
Old 09-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Superstock

Zedicus is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by sassage
IIRC, putting a tube in a tubeless type tire will increase heat within the tire during riding and could push it past its safe limit. it may work, but I don't think i'd put total confidence in it personally
theres special tubes for use in tubeless tires, the local shop here gets then and garuntees them safe. they are a bit pricey but not as bad as a new tire, especialy when the tire in question was almost brand new.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:17 AM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
In NH I am not allowed to pass a motorcycle for inspection if it has a tire plug in it.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:48 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Zedicus
theres special tubes for use in tubeless tires, the local shop here gets then and garuntees them safe. they are a bit pricey but not as bad as a new tire, especialy when the tire in question was almost brand new.
hadn't heard of those..thanks for the info
Old 09-04-2008, 09:45 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by nuhawk
If you're getting three years out of a Parts Store battery, you doing great. Yuasa's are the best. I just bought a new one at $119 including local tax for the Superhawk.
Ouch! I paid $80 for mine.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
As it turns out, plugs will repeatedly stay in at over 150 mph and through winter and rain. Just use off-the-shelf self-vulcanizing. They can last the whole life of the tire. I have done this "experiment" many times on different tires with the same results. No one will recommend it out of fear (except me)but this is my testimony. Just in case anyone was wondering the limits
Fix-a-Flat fails somewhere around 150mph....or maybe before that speed (and causes a hell of a mess when sealing the leak). Just thought I'd throw that out there.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Squid

infidel_mike is on a distinguished road
$25.00 lawn mower battery from Lowes

I bought a $25 lawn mower battery just about 3 years ago and it is still going strong. I ride my SH to work everyday. I suspect it won't make it through this winter though. Batteries only last about 3 years.

I just made sure it could source enough current. I did have to modify by battery box since the battery is about 1/2" taller.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:07 AM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
FWIW on the Battery

My new-to-me '99 was not starting up easy. I commute to work (10 miles each way) and it'd take several tries, choke and no choke, to get the thing to fire up. The battery was only two years old and the R/R is apparently the original (27K miles). I decided to start with a clean slate and bought a new Yuasa and ordered a new R/R.

The mechanic at the shop talked me into a battery tender as well. Don't know if he knows any more than the members of this board, but per him: "Deltrans say that if you use a tender every day, you'll never have to buy a new battery. Don't know if its true or not, but I've had mine for 5 years and its still going strong." And then "The big V-twins need a lot of juice. I used to work in a Harley shop, and H/D recommend that you ride for 30 minutes minimum every time you fire up the bike- and longer if its cold."

I rode my 'Hawk home with the new battery (filled & charged 5 hours at the shop) 10 miles and plugged it into the tender. The "Junior" showed that it only had an 80% charge, and it took 6 hours to get back up to a full charge.

All FWIW

Last edited by Sablotny; 09-05-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:19 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Well... parts of what he said is true, other parts are debatable...

The fact is that our large twin engine does need a lot of juice at start up... Just compare our batteries CCA to what an IL4 needs...

Also, short drives around town does mean that you draw more out of the battery when starting than you then charge it before stopping... Also starting when cold does takes more juice... A lot more...

As for not having to buy a new battery ever... well... Let's just agree that it does delay ageing of the battery...
Old 09-05-2008, 07:01 PM
ReNoob
Squid

Sablotny is on a distinguished road
Tweety - Agreed on the "forever battery" idea. Just read about the board & LED indicator you made for the charging system. Have you made any more? Do you have a price for shipping one to California? I'm interested.