Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Shift Kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 02:24 PM
Squid

Skipperdabio
Shift Kit

I was looking on dennis kirk today and noticed that there where "shift kits" for the superhawk. They include an arm with a bearing on the end of it as well as a spring. Have any of you guys used these on your bikes. It says that they eliminate missed shifts which seem to frequent for me from 1st to 2nd anyway.
Old 02-11-2007, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I think they come from factory pro. I put one on my over this winter (got it as a gift from my kids) but haven't been able to ride it yet in the great white north. On the bike just playing around it seems to shift slicker at least. I'll know in spring.

bill
Old 02-11-2007, 04:26 PM
Superstock

Jim TT
I installed those parts plus the Factory star wheel, big improvement in shifting.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:50 PM
Seņor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I'm super curious about this mod. Missing 1st-2nd shifts really grinds my gears!! Pun intended.. Heh, more like double entendre.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:11 PM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
I have been running the FactoryPro Shift kit for about four years now. I really have gotten used to it so much that i don't event hink about missed shifts anymore.

I rode a friends vtr a few months back and that is when i really noticed how well mine shifts compared to the stock shitty non-roller bearing shift detent arm Honda installed.

The FactoryPro kit has a stronger spring and a roler bearing Shift detent srm.

You should also change the shift pedal throw distance from the stock 7/8" to 5/8" or 3/4" by moving it one spline on the shift shaft and then re-adjusting the the pedal back to the stock ride height position.
Old 02-11-2007, 08:15 PM
Superstock

Birdoprey is an unknown quantity at this point
The short shifter mod is well worth. Very nice. There's a thread on it around here somewhere...
Old 02-11-2007, 08:30 PM
SuperSport

jschmidt
Seems like another solution in search of a problem. Well, at least on my bike.
Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by BIRDOPREY
The short shifter mod is well worth. Very nice. There's a thread on it around here somewhere...
It's in the Knowledge Base.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
SuperSport

Stumpy is on a distinguished road
Yep Yep shift kit installed much better used the star wheel also. I have also found out that with the stock rearsets 'new ones not installed yet' that if you make the shifter rod longer but not by much 'part where your foot hits it' keeps your foot from sliping off with my track boots on during trackdays or anytime your wearing them I guss.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:35 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
I have the detent kit, (spring and ball bearing arm) from Factory pro and it made a big difference in the shifting of my SH... think it was around $80
Old 02-12-2007, 01:17 PM
SuperSport

I'm guessing for you mechanically apt folk, it took under 2 hours, and probably closer to an hour..?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:12 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
I work slowly and carefully, so I would say that two hours would be close to the mark. I spent a fair bit of time cleaning gasket surfaces etc to make sure I would get no leaks. My bike also leans over on the stand a lot due to a rear shock spacer I have. This means I didn't have to drain the oil out first. Standard bikes might not be able to do this.

I would also reccommend the shifter mod of rotating the linkage on the spline. Works well. As does replacing the shift rod "ball and cup" joints. Install heim joints on each end and you will notice there is no more play in the shift rod.

Each of these mods is a factor in a great gearshift. It all adds up. When I got my bike I couldn't believe how bad the shifting was. Now I never give it a second thought.
Old 02-19-2007, 01:44 PM
SuperBike

scottiemann is on a distinguished road
i just ordered the shift kit for my SH which i'm in the middle of doin a ton of work to... so hopefully it gets rid of my missed shifts.:-D

one thing i did a while ago to help deter missed shifts was to lower the gear toe shift closer to my boot...it helped a little
Old 04-28-2007, 07:46 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jschmidt
Seems like another solution in search of a problem. Well, at least on my bike.
Paul Thede Race Tech founder has this saying "The best you've ridden is the best you know".

And it as true here.
You don’t know what you don’t know. Just because you have no problems with your shifter, does not mean it cannot be better.
And it can… A lot.
Adding a tight tolerance spherical rod end to the shift linkage, and the Factory Pro Evo Star shift kit, consisting of all three of their available shift parts, Shift Star, Shift Detent arm/w micro bearing, shift detent spring. It is an excellent mod, even a novice rider will notice and enjoy.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Back Marker

StoneJrW is on a distinguished road
I did the "shorter shifting Hawk" mod last week and I think it works really well and at no cost either.
Old 05-15-2007, 10:46 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
I "attempted" to do the Shorter Shifting Mod, but it appears as if the previous owner may have already done this. Can anyone say if the stock arrangement has the two levers parallel? I didn't notice much difference when I moved the specified 1 tooth on the spline, but they weren't parallel to begin with so I am guessing it has already been done. I am looking at rear-sets (for other reasons) and I am hoping that helps shift action as well.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:59 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
I don't think the stock linkage will handle two splines. You will run out of adjustment before you get the shift lever back to where it's supposed to be.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:23 AM
Back Marker

SO, am I to understand that the shift shaft lever and the pedal lever are nowhere near parallel stock and after the mod?
Old 05-17-2007, 10:02 PM
Squid

G-Money0420 is on a distinguished road
What would I do for excitement if I didn't kick into a false Neutral every now and then?
Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by G-Money0420
What would I do for excitement if I didn't kick into a false Neutral every now and then?
It makes me look like a freakin rookie. I mean, I still consider myself somewhat of a beginner, 5 years later, but it's embarrassing to rev up multiple times trying to click the stupid thing into second gear. <click> <vroooom> <click> <vrooom> <clunk> <braaaaAAAAA>
Old 05-22-2007, 05:01 PM
SuperSport

I have a question. Has anyone ridden with the Evo kit and the regular FactoryPro kit (not the $40 Factory kit). Is there much of a difference? I plan to buy one of the two kits, but the EVO kit is almost $200 bucks. I'm sure the FactoryPro kit is $80 better than stock, but is the Evo kit $100 better than the FactoryPro kit?
Old 05-24-2007, 07:57 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Scooberhawk
I have a question. Has anyone ridden with the Evo kit and the regular FactoryPro kit (not the $40 Factory kit). Is there much of a difference? I plan to buy one of the two kits, but the EVO kit is almost $200 bucks. I'm sure the FactoryPro kit is $80 better than stock, but is the Evo kit $100 better than the FactoryPro kit?
I think there is some confusion.. Probable mine..

Factory Pro makes both items you’re talking about.

There are three choices,
Kit 1 Shift Detent arm/w micro bearing, shift detent spring.
Part 2 Shift Star
Kit 2 Shift Star, Shift Detent arm/w micro bearing, shift detent spring.
All are made by (or for) Factory Pro

To answer your question…. Nope, I installed all three parts, never tried using just half the kit. ( I bought Kit 2)
So all I can say is…. The price was worth the results… To me. ( but I cheated, and used my MODERATOR discount at another site, so paid a bunch less then $200)
Old 05-24-2007, 03:18 PM
SuperSport

The 3 kits are here. I value your input, that it was worth it for you. I just wonder if the EVO shift star makes that much difference. I kinda wonder most which makes more of a difference for 1-2 shifting, although I am plain curious about the shift star in general. It must make the tranny seem less clunky.. I dunno. Those thoughts come second to which is the best value.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:34 PM
Back Marker

The factory Pro web site has a cool little video of "what happens when you move the lever" The funny thing, is the guy has a hickup going from first to second, which is why I want the kit! However, I do have this to add: For those of you who don't where boots when you ride, get some. Shifting is much different with boots vs. sneakers. I went out for a quick ride the other night with Tennie's on, and missed many shifts due the lack of leverage and the soft toes. I am still looking for improved shifting though, and would like to know from someone who has first hand knowledge as to how much difference the star makes...anyone?
Old 06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Squid

USAFrider
I am also curious as I'm on the verge of purchasing the shift kit. If it does nothing I would hate to spend my money and time on it.
Old 06-14-2007, 09:58 AM
Back Marker

Apparently nobody actually has knowledge of this. I may have to take it upon myself to do investigation. I will buy the kit and conduct the tests. It may be too much work to try each component one at a time, but it would at least settle this question. Has anyone put the FP star and stock star side to side and noticed any major difference?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:21 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I put the 3 items in my bike when modifying the engine. The two stars compare similar to those illustrated on the website - the VTR star is much closer to the FP star however than some other stock ones I've seen. I noticed a big difference in general with the shifting - slicker, quieter, less effort. It does not have much affect on the 1-2 shifting clunk. I think that has more to do with the large difference in ratio between 1st and 2nd gear and the relatively heavy flywheel effect on the midrange especially (my impressions at least).
Old 06-14-2007, 12:22 PM
Back Marker

This is good feedback, thanks! I don't really have a problem with the shifting above 2nd gear. I don't really know that I want to invest now that you have chimed in. Thanks! If I get some spare cash, I might go that direction, but for now stock it is. Or maybe I will go for the spring and detent arm.