Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

RB battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 11:32 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Jack Flash
Just to correct my wording in my previous message, I said you need to purchase a charger that balances out the battery, IF YOU ARE TO INVEST IN ONE, meaning you do not have to purchase a charger, if you are to purchase this type of battery. So both you and Erik miss read my wording...
Well, actually, based on that quote, we CORRECTLY read what you wrote. You incorrectly wrote what you meant.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 AM
Well take off, eh.
SuperBike

Jack Flash is on a distinguished road
Well, we can't all be perfect..
Old 09-28-2012, 11:21 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Anything below 5-6° is also off limits for me. Anyway, by the time the -8° weather arrives, we're no longer allowed on the road with our motorcycles. We have a winter tire law in my neck of the woods, and I don't know of any winter tires for motorcycles. Even if they were available, I would certainly not put my beautiful chicken throught that snow, and sleet hell.
Same applies here, I just took advantage of a warmer than average day with clear roads for the move...

I do however regularily run the dualsport on winter tires all year...
Old 09-29-2012, 03:13 PM
SuperBike

JamieDaugherty is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by E.Marquez
Jamie here on this list has for sale battery's at a better price then I can build one for.
It's not me - those are RB Batteries. I know Dan (owner of RB Batteries) personally so I try to promote his stuff whenever I can. I run them in my own bikes, for whatever that is worth!
Old 09-30-2012, 07:02 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
It's not me - those are RB Batteries. I know Dan (owner of RB Batteries) personally so I try to promote his stuff whenever I can. I run them in my own bikes, for whatever that is worth!
ahhh, you have updated your page.... last time I looked, it did not list those batterys as a "brand"

I see now they are.

Credit where credit is due.

And here I thought "RB" was another new manufacture coming to market...

I see the 8 cell is not available,,,, thats too bad.. I need another one next week...

Last edited by E.Marquez; 09-30-2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:43 AM
Back Marker

HawkRider98 is on a distinguished road
I purchased my batter when they were listed as unavailable. Contacted by email that I was looking for a replacement battery for the VTR 1000 and RB handled it from there.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:58 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by HawkRider98
I purchased my batter when they were listed as unavailable. Contacted by email that I was looking for a replacement battery for the VTR 1000 and RB handled it from there.
Thank you

I'll give a call on monday.

I just made a bid on a lot of 100 cells...if it goes though.. I'll build some more packs, but if not, the buy in and hassle is just not worth the marginal savings from buying at a place like RB...
Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by E.Marquez
And here I thought "RB" was another new manufacture coming to market...
Well, they are a manufacturer. I wouldn't call them "new" though, they have been making batteries for a few years now.
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

Well, they are a manufacturer. I wouldn't call them "new" though, they have been making batteries for a few years now.
Got ya, my mistake....

I thought you were making them..

and then RB started here in a thread and it was the first I had heard of this brand.

Thanks for clearing that up.

erik
Old 10-05-2012, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

Also, as Marquez and Tweety clearly illistrated previously, you need a charger that balances out these types of batteries, if you are to invest in one. Upland also left a nice article for us to read.

Not true, lots of false information floating around about this topic. Anyone who has ever taken the time to measure the pack imbalance will tell you that in a ~12V setup (4 cells in series) you cannot measure any difference. Dan has even tried to purposely throw a pack out of balance by manually charging just one cell (or pair of a parallel cells). He found the pack to still perform with the same current output and after a couple of similated "starts" the pack actually rebalanced itself. Try it and I think you will find the same the results.

FAQs - RBbatteries
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Not true, lots of false information floating around about this topic. Anyone who has ever taken the time to measure the pack imbalance will tell you that in a ~12V setup (4 cells in series) you cannot measure any difference. Dan has even tried to purposely throw a pack out of balance by manually charging just one cell (or pair of a parallel cells). He found the pack to still perform with the same current output and after a couple of similated "starts" the pack actually rebalanced itself. Try it and I think you will find the same the results.

FAQs - RBbatteries
Which is what I keep saying as well... So, I don't want my name quoted like that...

You can throw the pack out of balance, and while it is unbalanced it is possible to get cell reversal, killing that specific cell... But if you keep using it normally, and don't abuse, it self balances... Part of why it selfbalances is down to a high ampere draw during starting a bike... Low ampere discharge on a pack such as this doesn't self balance...
Old 10-06-2012, 03:19 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Tweety
Which is what I keep saying as well... So, I don't want my name quoted like that...

You can throw the pack out of balance, and while it is unbalanced it is possible to get cell reversal, killing that specific cell... But if you keep using it normally, and don't abuse, it self balances... Part of why it selfbalances is down to a high ampere draw during starting a bike... Low ampere discharge on a pack such as this doesn't self balance...
LOL and to pile on, I never stated you needed a charger for this type of battery in the application we use it in.. I said IF your going to charge it or balance it, you needed a specific type of charger.
Old 10-06-2012, 04:39 AM
SuperBike

Thanks for clearing that up guys!