Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Race Tech modified shock

Old 03-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Race Tech modified shock

I've had the Race Tech Golve valve installed in my forks with great results and according to their website, they will do the same for the shock. Has anybody had this work done and what were the results?
Old 03-12-2007, 05:37 PM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
ask thier price out the door, for a built OEM Showa shock,, One that has no user adjustability.. I think you'll find with what it cost to have a RT shop do what they can for that shock,, and what you get in the end.. You'll be at$$$75% of what an Ohlins, Wilber, ect ect will be new. But ask um,, I'd like to know what and how much
Old 03-12-2007, 06:12 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Honestly, the stock shock on our bikes is a piece of crap. It has no reservoir and is heavy. It's not very serviceable and is not adjustable for compression. Thus it really isn't worth doing anything to other than maybe using it as a paperweight or doorstop. Once you try a good aftermarket shock you'll understand and there will be no going back. Yes, they are expensive, but if you ride track days or the canyons/back roads then it really is worth it.

I followed a really fast guy on a VTR with stock suspension around VIR North one day. Although he was faster than me I didn't even WANT to follow him around anymore in fear that he crash in front of me. The bike was SO on the verge of being out of control. He was maybe 2-3 seconds faster than me per lap, but I was able to get a good view of his bike for maybe 7-8 turns. I can just imagine how fast that guy would've been had he been on my bike.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:25 PM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I actually did this to mine at one point. It was more compliant, noticeably so, but still far from perfect. In the end, I should have just saved the money until I could afford a true aftermarket upgrade. When I got a penske finally it was night and day difference - I would say easily the single best mod I have done.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Señor Miembro, Ay Caramba
SuperSport

Scooberhawk is on a distinguished road
I've been toying with the idea of getting the valving and doing the work myself. Yet everyone seems to say an aftermarket shock is just really the way to go. I'm actually betting on not needing an aftermarket seat if I can a nice shock on the bike.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
I've mess around plenty with vtr shock options: stock (old), r1, r6, ducati sachs, fox used, penske used, ohlins used, and now a stocker (newish) so maybe I know a thing or two about the rear end. LOL!

The best was the used VTR ohlins and next the used cbr900rr penske.

But the best rear end shock I've sampled is the new wilbers ($700ish) I have currently on my vtec vfr. It has rebound plus hi/lo compression and correct spring for me. After a few minor adjustments (+- 2 clicks) from the recommended settings, I've truly forgotten about it back there.

Oh yeah, about $50 for the first rebuild before the first 18 months and 5 years warranty is just icing on the cake. They are trying hard I must say.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:00 AM
Moderate-whore
MotoGP

Randman is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by superbling
I've mess around plenty with vtr shock options: stock (old), r1, r6, ducati sachs, fox used, penske used, ohlins used, and now a stocker (newish) so maybe I know a thing or two about the rear end. LOL!

The best was the used VTR ohlins and next the used cbr900rr penske.

But the best rear end shock I've sampled is the new wilbers ($700ish) I have currently on my vtec vfr. It has rebound plus hi/lo compression and correct spring for me. After a few minor adjustments (+- 2 clicks) from the recommended settings, I've truly forgotten about it back there.

Oh yeah, about $50 for the first rebuild before the first 18 months and 5 years warranty is just icing on the cake. They are trying hard I must say.
Is this it??
http://tipp-69.com/usa/642_motocross.htm
Old 03-13-2007, 06:59 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by kickinchicken996
No, it's the 641:

http://www.wilbersusa.com/wilbers/im...bs/Image3.html
Old 03-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Squid

chrisf608
What is the overall lenght of the OEM shock will a R1 shock fit?
Old 03-13-2007, 04:31 PM
MotoGP

OEM 345mm while they R1 (IIRC) is about 305mm. You'd need a long spacer to make up the diff but more importantly the R1 spring rate is waaaaay softer. I had a Fox cbr900 spring that I would add to those other OEM's when I tried them. I based my choices on how easy it was to remove the stock spring as I don't have a compressor.

Although I never tried one, the closest honda unit, in terms of length and spring rate, is the cbr1100xx but it doesn't offer any real benefit as it's also rebound only.
Old 03-13-2007, 05:49 PM
Dirty Bird
Squid

hawkbill is on a distinguished road
Thanks Guys.

Superbling,
Of the Ohlins unit, websites show the appropriate model is the 46HRCS; however I've seen a 46HRCSL, L for legnth adjustable on their website as well. If the only difference between the two shocks is adjustability for legnth it should fit, right? Have you heard otherwise?

BTW, the Ohlins 46HRCS is recommended for the VTR1000F, CBR1100XX, CB919 Hornet, VFR800 and CBR1000F.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:08 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
AFAIK, there's no "L" designation available on Ohlins shocks for the VTR. It may be able to be special ordered, but that might cost an arm and/or a leg.

Only available is 46HRCS per the Ohlins site.

H - (H)ose mounted external reservoir
P - (P)iggyback reservoir
R - (R)ebound adjustable
C - (C)ompression adjustable
S - Hydraulic (S)pring Preload adjustable
L - Ride height adjustable
X - Slow and Fast speed compression adjustments