Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

race project - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 07:08 PM
Squid

motorcity
race project - help needed

hello all. new to the forum here. as with any honda machine, there seems to be a great support group for superhawks.
it looks like my dad and i are going to purchase a '98 superhawk that was in a head-on accident. we plan on using the bike for track use only.
my main question is how many members here have swapped front ends? (i.e. 900rr/929/954) i just read the post about the 1000r front end swap, but those are just too much money.
the good:
wheels/frame seem fine (don't know about front wheel yet)
1 radiator made it
2 bros. carb/fib slip ons
steel braided brake lines front/back

the bad:
rear sub frame is twisted
center fairing mount broken off frame
1 radiator didn't make it
2 bros slip on system aren't high mounts
tank is bruised badly
need clutch/brake master cylinders
need all plastics (race glass is expensive!!!!!!!!!)

we are big honda supporters and own/race a few already. we're looking forward to getting this twin on the track and having some fun. any suggestions/leads will be appreciated.

motorcity
'96 honda F3 race bike
'91 yamaha fzr 1040 (150hp@wheel)
'88 honda cbr 1000 hurricane (semi custom)
'86 honda vfr 700 (yosh 4-1)
'85 moto guzzi 850 lemans (white) for sale maybe!
'77 honda cb705f supersport (origianal owner)
'72 yamaha R5 350 (2 of them. projects)
'69 triumph trident (custom cafe)
'51 triumph 3503T chopper (project)
Old 04-25-2006, 08:23 AM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a complete RC51 front end. Fork tubes are slightly bent, not crumpled and the forks operate smoothly. TIR 0.020 and 0.014 on the upper tubes, measured with the tubes in the triple clamp at the lower end of the uppper (stanchion). I will straighten or you can. Triple clamps are perfect and include tapered needle bearings.

Front (RC51) wheel shows .040" runout and can probably be straightened (will sell cheap!) I also have a custom bracket I made and a GSXR fork tube clamp to mount an Ohlins steering damper below the fairing stay. (Free with the forks)

I also have a Sharkskinz Race upper, trimmed for RC51 forks, freshly painted with only 1 track day since brand new (perfect).

And Moriwaki rearsets. A must have for going fast at the track (IMHO).

My clutch master cylinder is good. Left 954RR clip-on is good. Rear swingarm is good and has spools for a rear stand welded on.

I also still have not sold my Stage 1 race engine, in excellent condition.

I was RC996 before the website disaster. Posted lots of stuff about the front end swap and other stuff.

contact me at rand.c@earthlink.net
Old 04-25-2006, 08:54 AM
SuperSport

Loco
Re: race project - help needed

I am on of the major part suppliers and sellers on the forum, and I have good references from several users here. Email me at Lftopletz@terracon.com if you want to buy those parts you were talking about in your Email. I have a ton of parts here from several superhawks and I'm always ready to help out SHF users. Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Squid

blubayou is on a distinguished road
Hey motorcity check it out I just wadded up my VTR Thursday June 8th and after reading your post I have just about everything you need. The rear end of my bike is trashed. Mind you I am still contemplating rebuilding it for a track bike so I'm not so sure if I am going to part it out but lets chat and perhaps we can work something out.