Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

R1 forks on the SuperHawk, can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:40 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
R1 forks on the SuperHawk, can it be done?

Hey gang. I tried searching, but I couldn't find anything specific. I have access to a 2000 R1 front end, and was wondering if the swap was possible. I remember reading something about needing the triples, forks, and front wheel.

Please help! Thanks.
Old 11-17-2005, 09:14 AM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Anything is possible if you try hard enough. 1st find out what the length of the head stock is. 2nd find out the diameter of the stem. If those are the same then the tripples will work. If you were asking if you could just use the forks alone then the answer is no. The easiest way is to use the stuff that comes with the front end, wheel tripples, etc.. but with some searching and and figuring you can do almost anything. Oh and also see how wide they are unless you go naked, the zx 12 front end I was going to try was too wide and I would've had to cut the fairing.

Then length of the forks can be an issue. I used gsxr forks that were shorter than the origanal SH forks so I had to drop them all the way flush in the top triple and use heli bars under the triple so that I didn't lose too much of the ride height and cause it to be unstable.

All this said the easiest conversion is RC51.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Hmm?
SuperBike

marmaladedad is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the insight! I will do some measuring. Hopefully not too much dremel-ing.
Old 12-13-2005, 12:39 AM
Back Marker

2Phaast is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: R1 forks on the SuperHawk, can it be done?

Then there is the ARMY's way: Measure it with a micrometer, mark it with chalk, cut it with an axe. And don't forget, all good mechanics have parts left over when they're done!
Old 12-13-2005, 07:15 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Don't forget about the brakes. Will your honda's match up? If not, besides calipers, will you also need a R1 m/c and lines?

Will need an R1 fender too. When piecing my F4i front end together, finging a fender provided the most frustration. Heavy bidding on those, even broken ones, to nearly the point of new prices (WTF?). I chalked it up to the bike being a popular track/stunt/squid bike which gets binned quite often thus in constant need of plastics.