CAN THIS BE DONE

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

joshuatest is an unknown quantity at this point
CAN THIS BE DONE

Ok...

I would have just posted in the old thread, but based on the title, I figured it would get skipped over....

Here is what i'm talking about....

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...ighlight=naked

OK... as some no, I recently laid the bike down.. So tomorrow, the fairings are coming off the bike, as the left side trashed.... BUT... I don't have a new fairing ordered yet, but will be doing some other mods to the bike, and probably want to ride it again before fairings are complete, and ready to go back on...

Sooooooooooo.... This person has the stock headlight, and center portion of the upper fairing on the bike, with no side fairings... CAN I DO THIS???? Or did this person modify the bike to allow this to work?

I am NOT looking to run this way very long, but really want to be able to ride some while I'm waiting on either a ebay listing for what i need to show up, or Sharkskinz to get me a street upper....

So....

???????????????? can that section simply be bolted back on?
Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Superstock

Killemall is on a distinguished road
The two sides fairings are required to keep the center piece with the headlight in place. So without some minor tweaks you can't keep the stock headlight when going the streetfighter route.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:22 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

damn...... oh well....

I just really need a headlight solution for a week or two while i figure out what fairings i'm ordering, get them ordered, and get them painted.... was REALLY hoping i could pull this off... I will still take a look once its off tomorrow to see how complicated it would be to make it stay on there for a short time... possible zip tie's....... lol

thanks for the quick responce though...
Old 04-15-2008, 11:26 PM
pragmatic anarchist
Superstock

peterpanic is on a distinguished road
ran mine almost that way when i first put it together. didn't put the center fairing or small light on it, but either way would work. looks a bit more legit in the picture. actually there is no attachment for the headlight or surround. as you'll find out tomorrow, it just plugs into a couple rubber sockets and is held in place by the fairing sides. can't see how he has his held on but i put a couple zip ties somewhere. didn't have any instruments or license and had a small chunk of wood in the left front caliper because that rotor was bent and i just needed to ride it, so i didn't ride long like that. never did ride mine with the bent forks on it though, that's just stupid! bike in the picture is almost legal.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:03 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Use some zip ties...they'll hold the headlight on like that fine...I've done it while in various stages of project non-completion
Old 04-16-2008, 06:02 AM
SuperBike

RickB is on a distinguished road
Just about anything can be done if you put your mind to it

How's the recovery comming along Josh?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 AM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

recovery is good, but slow...

starting to feel slightly better... i can get my legs to bend almost like normal now... and some of the smaller rash is healing up nice, the larger stuff looks way better, but still has some time to go....
Old 04-16-2008, 04:44 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

DONE!

Well...

After getting my fairings off today... I took the side fairings and headlight piece apart, and basically just used two zip ties around the two brackets that the headlight sits in...

So here she is.... TEMP FIX... not planning on sporting it this way... just until I can get a new fairing, and get it painted..

Took a pic of the right side since the left has a partially smashed exhaust... but high mounts soon to come.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:38 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Thats what im doing if i lay mine over.. i dont think it looks bad at all!!
Old 04-16-2008, 05:48 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
That's certainly better than my bike looked when I wrecked it last year. And it appears certainly road worthy while you sort the rest of it out. I also think I saw the first local adaptation of the sharkskins aftermarket front fairings this week. Almost wrecked the truck rubber neckin'. They looked pretty good. The double headlight center fairing is maybe a little dated.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:57 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I think i'm gonna hold off on ordering new fairings for a few weeks, and hopefully be able to find a decent left side that is already blue, or possibly a left side that i have to paint, but can get cheap enough to justify it...

In the mean time, I will probably do some plastic welding on my old one, and try to get it back to somewhat decent shape, probably through some band aid's on it.. lol and probably ride with it for a few more weeks... I'm approaching the end of my budget right now for the toy's... Then unless I find something used, i'll order the sharkskinz upper (street version) new from them once i'm moved to Ky...

But I'm happy with it for now... its got that, just wrecked look, but thats ok.... i did..
Old 04-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
Sharkskinz does have a bracket for mounting the headlight in their fairing. It makes it so your headlight bolts to the metal bracket that comes out the front of the bike. It's two pieces and they are made out of aluminum. They are pretty basic. This would allow you to run the center fairing without the sides and you'd be able to nix the zip ties. I can get some measurements and pictures this weekend as I am taking mine off. They should be pretty easy to make. Let me know if anyone wants me to post that stuff.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by joshuatest
I think i'm gonna hold off on ordering new fairings for a few weeks, and hopefully be able to find a decent left side that is already blue, or possibly a left side that i have to paint, but can get cheap enough to justify it...

In the mean time, I will probably do some plastic welding on my old one, and try to get it back to somewhat decent shape, probably through some band aid's on it.. lol and probably ride with it for a few more weeks... I'm approaching the end of my budget right now for the toy's... Then unless I find something used, i'll order the sharkskinz upper (street version) new from them once i'm moved to Ky...

But I'm happy with it for now... its got that, just wrecked look, but thats ok.... i did..

I doubt having just one fairing repainted will be worth the effort. A brand new one is about $215 shipped.

By the way, the bike looks cool even without fairings. I have always digged the blue ones.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:41 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Killemall
I doubt having just one fairing repainted will be worth the effort. A brand new one is about $215 shipped.

By the way, the bike looks cool even without fairings. I have always digged the blue ones.
Well Sharkskinz street upper is only $355 plus shipping.... So my hopes are to find a fairing from a right side crash that is in near mint condition on ebay or forums, and be able to replace the left side that way.... not buying fairings from honda....
Old 04-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Squid

macd218 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wow I always wondered what that would look like. I like it!!!!
Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by joshuatest
Well Sharkskinz street upper is only $355 plus shipping.... So my hopes are to find a fairing from a right side crash that is in near mint condition on ebay or forums, and be able to replace the left side that way.... not buying fairings from honda....
I personally never liked the Sharkskinz upper. Looks nice in the pictures but in reality it's poorly manufactured. I believe it's made of ABS, and the material's wall thickness is small. The fairing is quite more flexble than the stock one and it needs some tricks to fit right and match the mounting brackets. Also keep in mind that it's sold unpainted.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:11 PM
OUCH... MY A$$ HURTS!!!
SuperSport

I did think about the painting aspect, but i painted my Sharkskinz lower, and to be honest, it held up very well in the wreck... IF i go with the sharkskinz, i'll paint it myself, as i think i've gotten pretty good with painting... matched my lower to the rest of the bike basically perfect... And i could always sell the stock complete upper on ebay as a track day fairing...

Probably $80 in paint supply's to get a entire upper painted up... and could play around with some graphics under clear if i go that method..