Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Quietest exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 AM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
Quietest exhaust

Before someone points out that a newb is asking an exhaust question (which happens all the time), I'd like to make it known that I did run a search and wasn't happy with the results. So here's the question: what is the quietest aftermarket exhaust I can get for the VTR? I primarily want to increase power while reducing weight of the stock system, but I will gladly keep the stock system if everything out there is going to be significantly louder. Truthfully, I want something that is as quiet as stock, but I'm sure that's almost impossible.
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
There is nothing as quiet as stock that will flow any better, in fact there are a few systems out there that don't flow as well as stock and are louder. If noise is truly a concern stick with stock!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:37 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
I had carbon fiber Yosh slip ons. Nice sound and not too loud. Just replaced them with Jardine high-mounts.....quite a bit more noise.

Also have the stock pipes, yeah they are the quietest, but do weigh a ton....
Old 11-20-2007, 07:52 AM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
I have had the Yoshi RS-3 low mounts and Jardine Highmounts Race Baffle 2".... both are louder than stock... I thought the Yoshi's were a bit quieter at neighborhood speeds... but I'm sure having the 2" baffle instead of the 2.5" baffle makes a huge difference on keeping the noise down on the Jardines.

J.
Old 11-20-2007, 08:15 AM
Back Marker

Besucher98
I've read a lot on this topic and have come to the conclusion that the Yoshi pipes are the least loud of the aftermarket pipes... But you wont get stock sound levels unless you run stock.

Any aftermarket should reduce the weight. Just check their specs for how much. I can tell you that the difference between my stock pipes and the 2Bro's pipes was significant!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Squid

Bocker is on a distinguished road
Sounds like some solid props for Yoshi, eh? I liked the way my Yosh system sounded on my 919, so that might be the way to go with the Superhawk as well. Thanks guys!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:31 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
staintunes with insert much lighter, very close to stock with insert. might find used if patient
Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 AM
SuperSport

I loved the Yoshis... very well made... very good product. They were Stainless Steel... so a bit heavy compared to the Jardines I have now which are aluminum... but the Yoshis had a better quality fit and finish.

J.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:11 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
My understanding is that not much can be done to increase power, so weight savings is your only real advantage with aftermarket pipes.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by lazn
My understanding is that not much can be done to increase power, so weight savings is your only real advantage with aftermarket pipes.
..... and the sound... which is half the fun of this bike.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:19 AM
Back Marker

SD Hawk is on a distinguished road
Too funny, I to "traded up" from a 919, both super fun bikes, but I am having a much better time on the superhawk as of late.

Yeah, I think weight and sound will the real advantages on the superhawk. As mentioned I had the stock, Yosh carbon and Jardine's. As far as sound I really do like the Yosh pipes the best.

Although it is kinda fun to scare the neighbors with the Jardines

I may be inclined to sell the Yosh pipes, just don't want to deal with boxing and shipping. I'm in So Cal.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:40 AM
SuperBike

Thumper is an unknown quantity at this point
The Jardine High Mount Street baffle version is fairly quite compared to others, but still have a nice throaty sound
Old 11-20-2007, 11:12 AM
Back Marker

fundgh is on a distinguished road
Sorry to hi-jack, but.... If one was to put stock pipes on a bike that has been jetted for aftermarket pipes, what would the effect be? With noise restrictions at some of the most desirable tracks, I would like to be prepared to put some stock cans on every now and then to be legal at those trackdays. Do I need to rejet, or will I just lose a little performance. Might it be running a little rich?

Or, is there a way to quiet down aftermarket pipes?
Old 11-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Back Marker

iscoot is on a distinguished road
any of the above and HEARDO'S properly fitted of course!
Old 11-20-2007, 12:42 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by fundgh
Sorry to hi-jack, but.... If one was to put stock pipes on a bike that has been jetted for aftermarket pipes, what would the effect be? With noise restrictions at some of the most desirable tracks, I would like to be prepared to put some stock cans on every now and then to be legal at those trackdays. Do I need to rejet, or will I just lose a little performance. Might it be running a little rich?

Or, is there a way to quiet down aftermarket pipes?
I expect it'd be alright, as my understanding from reading here is that the jetting for pipes is less of a change than rejetting for a K&N filter.. As in, stock pipes are not very restrictive, so it might be a little rich, but not much.
Old 11-20-2007, 01:18 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
UNLEASH THE TWINS!!! And drown out those whiney little I4's...
Old 11-20-2007, 01:58 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Hey I'm big fan of "quiet but not as quiet as stock" exhausts too. Cheapest: a "lite" bafflectomy. Next best bet would be a Euro-spec street legal exhaust. These typically come with "spuds" aka sound deadeners to pass but can be removed. I have a set of Leo Vince Evo II's (street legal line) on my VFR and the sound level was about perfect for me.

Kind of an apples to oranges comparo but here's a sound clip on my VTEC VFR that has a catcon. I was really happy with the dB levels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ldjrL7kbm8

And here's the same set but now mounted on a different model vfr without the catcon. It's just a tad too loud for me but certainly still on the low end of the loud scale:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18JIXXJYpWM

The spuds are in both videos but the second one is louder due to less restriction.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:55 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
It's refreshing to hear somebody ask for quiet pipes.
I'm using RC 51 mufflers which weigh 1.5 lbs less than stock per side. and look and sound better than the stock ones.
The way I mounted mine I had to give up passenger pegs since they are midway between the stock height and what they are on the RC51.

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails Quietest exhaust-image008.jpg   Quietest exhaust-image010.jpg   Quietest exhaust-image012.jpg   Quietest exhaust-image011.jpg  
Old 11-21-2007, 01:46 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road

Sorry...

kai ju... Since I like the sound in my stock pipes with a full bafflectomy, and feels the only benefit with slip-ons would be the weight, more noise being neither win, nor loss... I might be interested in going your route... More bass, same volume?!

What would I need to do to make a pair of RC 51 muffler fit? and would you say it's possible to keep the rear pegs?
Old 11-21-2007, 02:50 PM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by kai ju
I'm using RC 51 mufflers which weigh 1.5 lbs less than stock per side. and look and sound better than the stock ones.
The way I mounted mine I had to give up passenger pegs since they are midway between the stock height and what they are on the RC51.

Kai Ju
How/what did you connect the rc51 cans to and whose shock r u running?

I have 2bros on now but have the stock vtr bafflectomied cans and a full rc51system...
Old 11-21-2007, 02:55 PM
SuperBike

Kai Ju
Also, what did you have to do to add the vents to your seat cowl or is it an aftermarket cowl and what foot pegs r u using?
Old 11-21-2007, 08:40 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Passenger pegs

Tweety...yes you can keep the passenger pegs. Do a search and you will find more details. Basically you need longer bolts that go into the subframe and some sort of spacer that is long enough for the passenger peg brackets to clear the pipes. I got everything at a hardware store (Fastenal) for about $10 so I could keep them on my high mount 2 Bros.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:54 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
1. There are probably ways to keep the passenger pegs, as Hotbrakes mentioned, I just didn't sped any time researching since I always ride solo, and like the high pipe look.
2. The vents in the cowl were made by me. They help with airflow for the underseat radiator installation. I laid out the shape, cut it out with a cut off wheel and finished it with a woodrasp and sandpaper. The aluminum mesh is bonded to the inside of the cowl.
The footpegs are CBR600 F4 and are bolt on's.
3. The RC51 pipes were installed to the stock headpipes by taking the stock mufflers and cutting off the midpipe just below the muffler. Then you cut the midpipe off the RC51 muffler but leave it long, as shown in the pics.
Have a muffler shop expand the stock midpipe that you just cut off to where it just fits inside the RC51 midpipe. ( Pick a good shop, my first choice ruined my first set of midpipes )
Slot the RC51 midpipe on the bottom where you're going to install the bandclamp and fab up muffler hangers.
You maybe able to combine the parts for the two pipes in a way that brings the RC51 muffler at the stock height which should allow you to keep the stock hangers.

Kai Ju

Last edited by kai ju; 11-21-2007 at 11:58 PM.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
On my 51 pipes (see avatar), I used a 1/2inch rod and center punched one hole through the inner baffle giving it a "just right" dB level (deep but not loud).
Old 11-22-2007, 07:46 AM
SuperBike

Thanks to all above for the feedback but if I remove my 2Bros cans I think I'll just go back with my bafflectomied VTR cans (now that I know the effort involved adapting the RC51 cans).
Old 11-22-2007, 11:57 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
The RC51 pipes were installed to the stock headpipes by taking the stock mufflers and cutting off the midpipe just below the muffler. Then you cut the midpipe off the RC51 muffler but leave it long, as shown in the pics.
Have a muffler shop expand the stock midpipe that you just cut off to where it just fits inside the RC51 midpipe. ( Pick a good shop, my first choice ruined my first set of midpipes )
Slot the RC51 midpipe on the bottom where you're going to install the bandclamp and fab up muffler hangers.
You maybe able to combine the parts for the two pipes in a way that brings the RC51 muffler at the stock height which should allow you to keep the stock hangers.

Kai Ju
Ok that explains the clamp, wich was what had me wondering... (and the mount points at the footpegs...)

Seems to me that the simple solution would be to leave the RC51 mid long and weld the orginal mid to it at a slight angle (clamp free) since I have the tools to weld it myself...
Old 11-22-2007, 12:50 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
I got Leo Vince Evo II slip-ons about a month ago. At the end of the muffler is an insert which is retained by a tamper-proof screw and there is an additional baffle, a perforated disc, which fits between the midpipe and the muffler. The system is quiet to a fault. It's barely louder than stock. I haven't dyno'd it yet.