Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Part # and cct install ?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:31 AM
Squid
Squid

Ons'Ro is on a distinguished road
Part # and cct install ?

Thanks for the site. It has been a great read and very helpful. I am a new VTR owner, since September, and have jumped both feet in this cult like pool. I can't wait for summer.

I have a few questions:

I have a torn boot on the rear enrichner cable, at the carb. I would like to replace it and I am having trouble finding a part number. Hondas fiche lists a part number for a sarter valve set priced at $31.54. Thats spendy when all I need is the boot. I hoped someone would know of a part number for just the boot or a number for a different model that would fit.

Next, I intend to replace the cct's. I haven't purchaced them yet as the stock ones are not shot. The bike has 25k and they do not seem to have a good reputation so it seemed like a good idea. I am wondering if this is the tyme to install, while the carbs are off( I took them off today to rejet for the new exhaust), or is having the carbs off not going to make it any easier. Also, do you take the cylinder covers off to set the tensioners?

Thanks again, Ons'Ro
Old 01-07-2012, 11:46 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
welcome to the site,congrats on your purchase.
vtr is a great bike.
the part you are looking for does not come by itself,you have to order the little kit it comes with.
Ronayers.com Microfiche Honda>Motorcycle>1998>VTR1000F>CARBURETOR COMPONENT PARTS
it is gonna be number 11,it has all parts needed with the boot.one boot per kit,so you would need 2 kits if looking for both the boots.
but if youre lucky,someone on here might have the boots you want.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
and yes,if you're gonna have the carbs off,this is the best time to do the cct's.will be alot easier and faster.
follow the directions very carefully.and just dont cut corners,take both vavle covers off and zip tie,will save you a bunch of time in the long run.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:53 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Greetings.

Next, I intend to replace the cct's. I haven't purchaced them yet as the stock ones are not shot.
They might not be shot but the pin has been pulled from the grenade!

IMHO Replace with manuals pronto, and yes do the CCTs while you've got the tank, airbox and carbs dislodged will save time & effort, repeating accessing the rear cam cover and front CCT. (see workshop knowledgebase thread on procedure)

For the choke rubbers might be someone with carbs that they are breaking as I recall someone else previously was in the same predicament as you are. You should just have to dislodge the carbs off the mounting rubbers, not fully remove and not disconnect cables & hoses (apart from choke cables) etc.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:55 PM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
[QUOTE=Wicky;32236
For the choke rubbers might be someone with carbs that they are breaking[/QUOTE]

me me me me me me me! I can find it tomorrow and mail it if you want. I like wisconsin.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:55 PM
Squid
Squid

Originally Posted by 7moore7
me me me me me me me! I can find it tomorrow and mail it if you want. I like wisconsin.
Yes, I want very much please and thanks! I am new to this and I am not sure about protocol for contacting you or swaping personal info. Help, please.

Wisconsin is great but when it is suppose to snow, and you take your bike apart, a person gets depressed when there is no snow and you see the other locals out getting a few more rides in.

Last edited by Ons'Ro; 01-07-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 07:24 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
It's easy. You just post your credit card info and the security code on the back, SS number and bank routing number and some nice gentlemen on the forum will take care of you. Also, where exactly do you live and when are you usually not at home?

I've actually never been to Wisconsin, but for some reason have a lot of good friends from there. Seems to be an unusual amount of cheeseheads down here.

I'll send a pm...
Old 01-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Where's that credit card info? Daddy needs a new pair of pipes!
Old 01-08-2012, 09:00 PM
Squid
Squid

1234 5678 9876 5432 code 867, 530-9j-enny and under my pillow.

So thanks to all for your response to my questions. I am going to order the Krieger cct's and 7moore7 is helping me out with the boot. This is going to be a great season!

Ons'Ro
Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Squid
Squid

Thanks 7moore7 recieved and installed boot today.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:55 PM
Squid
Squid

Well, I recieved the cct's last Thursday and installed them yesterday. I have to say if anyone needs to install the mcct's these Krieger units are the way to go. Went in real easy. The front ex. cam stayed in place, didnt skip. I forgot to zip tie the chain to the sprocket when I pulled the tensioner. Checked valves while I was at it. All good. The bike is coming around and cant wait for spring since there isnt any good outdoor ice to play on.
Thanks to klx678, 7moore7, and all again.
Old 01-27-2012, 09:17 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
Sweet! You got the most important maint done.

If you upgrade your R/R before riding time you will have a fully bulletproof bike!
Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM
Young Hawk!
Squid

DrewMan996 is on a distinguished road
Smile

Hey Ons, where did you purchase the CCT's? im at 32k with factory ones... def time to change.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM
Squid
Squid

A member here on the forum, klx678, PM'd me about the tensioners he makes. Turns out they were the same ones I was thinking of buying off of eBay listed as Krieger CCT's. So send him a note through this forum and he will gladly help you out.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Just hangin' out
Back Marker

klx678 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Ons'Ro
A member here on the forum, klx678, PM'd me about the tensioners he makes. Turns out they were the same ones I was thinking of buying off of eBay listed as Krieger CCT's. So send him a note through this forum and he will gladly help you out.

And save you the extra $8 I have to charge to defray the ebay costs in my shipping. I put the VTR kit at $60 and add shipping when doing the individual sales, but for ebay I have to bump it up a bit to cover their charge. Even at that, I still absorb part of their charge. I prefer the direct sales to save both of us on charges. I still eat any PayPal fees, but that is part of the game. I think $60 is still fair for what it is. I will tell you I do tensioners for a number of other Hondas, Kawasakis, a few Yamahas, and Suzukis. The single units are $30.00 for all but the KLX250/300 which has a special nut (Yamaha SR500 exhaust allen nut) that pushed it up to $33.00.

And yes, I know this is selling the part, spam if you prefer , but no one else is doing things like this at this rate, especially including the gaskets to boot. So I don't feel too guilty pusing a better deal to keep more of you on bikes that work well.

For what it's worth, the USPS has jacked up the flat rate to Canada to $14.95 (I think, lost the paper and need to look)and the rest of the world to $16.95. I was told by my favorite counter guy that I can get virtually the same delivery results shipping them on a standard mail rate, so I'm looking at that option to cut the costs I have to charge for shipping. If they can get within a few days same delivery and save a couple of bucks I'll be doing that when possible. I'm trying to keep it down as much as possible.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:30 PM
Squid

mtnsavage is on a distinguished road
So im trying to install my new ccts. The tank airbox and old factory tensioners are out. I have the honda factory manual which is no help at all. I want to do it correctly and all the bike shops around me have never done them before. Can someone please tell me the next steps?
Old 02-08-2012, 03:55 PM
SuperBike

(see workshop knowledgebase thread on procedure)
Did you set the timing on each CCTs before taking them out?
Old 02-08-2012, 04:16 PM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Wow, me thinks you may have a mess on your hands if both tensioners are out at the same time. If that is the case, you have gone too far to "do it correctly". Did you hear any clicks when you removed them? If so, that was probably the cam chain jumping teeth on the gears. You may be looking at having to retime the engine.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 PM
SuperBike

mtnsavage If you've deviated from the procedure set-out here:

https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...pe-ccts-11275/

Then step away from your bike and put the tools down. As rz_racer_69 says you've risked the timing having gone completely askew and needing to be carefully put right.

Last edited by Wicky; 02-08-2012 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mtnsavage
So im trying to install my new ccts. The tank airbox and old factory tensioners are out. I have the honda factory manual which is no help at all. I want to do it correctly and all the bike shops around me have never done them before. Can someone please tell me the next steps?

Hey there, how'd it go? And bike shops than can't replace cct's. Wow, that's just awesome. I bet those people vote, too!