Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Other OEM Shocks for SuperHawk??

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Back Marker

mamisano is an unknown quantity at this point
Other OEM Shocks for SuperHawk??

Does anyone know if it would be feasible to install an OEM shock from another Honda to our bikes? They can be found for very good prices on Ebay and anything is an upgrade from out stockers....
Old 09-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
I don't really think so. I have asked 100's of people and nobody know for sure. Everyone say no because of the fact that the swingarm mounts directly to the motor and not to the frame. Which no other bike in the industry (that I know of) does.

If you have the cash and want to try some engineering, go for it and let us know how you make out.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:02 PM
Superstock

cdyer77
What you could do is measure eyelet to eyelet on the vtr shock, then go around to different dealerships and measure the shocks on different bikes, see if they match up, thats a start.

The salesman might look at you weird but who cares.

Or go to a bike salvage yard, tell them what your doing and ask if you can look around the yard and do some more measuring.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:15 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: Other OEM Shocks for SuperHawk??

I've done a few shock swaps between Hondas and a couple between Suzuki's. I surf on over to Ohlins slow clunky website for comparisons on shock length specs. You won't find out anything about stock spring rates tho'.

I've found CBR springs to be on the low side, VFR on the high. I have a hunch that the fox TC on my used 98 is for a CBR900 as it's very short with a long spacer but it works well. I'm kicking around the idea of trying a GSXR750 (gasp,horror!) that I have laying around on the SuperBling. It will take quite a bit of modding tho'......

Doug