Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

NOS?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
NOS?

I tried using the search function but it came up with nothing on Nitrous. Has anybody put a NOS System on a SH? If so which one did you use?
Old 11-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
NOS on a VTR = broken crankshaft... Pick whichever you prefer, the result will be the same...
Old 11-25-2011, 10:27 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Tweety
NOS on a VTR = broken crankshaft... Pick whichever you prefer, the result will be the same...
I have to agree with this.... it really isn't a good idea.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:36 AM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
If you want nitrous, get a civic.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 PM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Mad as a box of frogs....

nitrous oxide penzance cornwall : West Kernow Motorcycle Engineers

Below are some pictures of our latest nitrous fitting to a Honda VTR 1000 Firestorm its a 75 BHP kit progressively controlled by a max extreme, taking this machine to 175 BHP. JUST FOR FUN!!!.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:50 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Good to know Tweety and Hawk. That would explain why there are no posts about it. Thanks for the info.

AJA Civics are crap even with NOS. Real life isn't like the "Fast and Furious".
Old 11-25-2011, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

I probably should add some more info really...

Realistically, you are gambling with the engine lifetime if you take it past 130 bhp or so on normal tuning... Anything past 150 bhp is more or less "race-weekend" tuning on a VTR... There are bikes running reliably with this much, but they are rare...

NOS puts about twice the strain on components since there is a "hit"... So use with caution...

And the VTR have a notoriously weak crankshaft if loaded with too wild cams, which is why the racebikes of old had special made forged items... I want one of those for christmas... Unfortunately, I apparently haven't been good enough...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-25-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:12 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
or to use a different analogy.... it would be like bolting a blower to a stock small block chevy...... it will run like stink.... for a little while....
Old 11-25-2011, 01:20 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
or to use a different analogy.... it would be like bolting a blower to a stock small block chevy...... it will run like stink.... for a little while....
I tried that once... I got a custom scoop in the hood for the effort, and a big mess... no.3 cylinder went airborne...

Just the same, a mostly stock BB chevy will make an even bigger mess if you feed it enough NOS... I didn't try that one, not quite dumb enough... But I did see the effects when someone else figured it to be a great idea...
Old 11-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Superstock

sheldonsl is on a distinguished road
Hey, tomzxt, I'm curious as to what makes you a light cycle expert. Not to kill this thread but it seems to be about done anyway. So?
Old 11-25-2011, 02:08 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
It can be done. Nitrous tuning is difficult though. With proper tuning, you can remove the majority of the "hit" out of nitrous. It's mostly in the timing, which means you'd need a custom ignition on the bike.

Like others have said, it wouldn't be worth the effort.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:24 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by tomzxt
AJA Civics are crap even with NOS. Real life isn't like the "Fast and Furious".
Exactly my point. Why do you need nos in a bike? Do you drag race? If you need to ask how its done you obviously don't have the expertise and experience for this kind of build, let alone riding it. And by blowing a stock sbc only to have the piston come through the valves and hood, you proved that you don't have the skills for high performance engine modification or knowledge of the inner components and their strengths and weaknesses.

I've been around engines and custom modification for long enough to know that if I have to ask how to do something with no idea of where to start or how it works, I shouldn't be doing that modification. Who knows, maybe you know your **** and are just looking for a cookie cutter fab plan, but that is rarely the case.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:57 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by aja
Exactly my point. Why do you need nos in a bike? Do you drag race? If you need to ask how its done you obviously don't have the expertise and experience for this kind of build, let alone riding it. And by blowing a stock sbc only to have the piston come through the valves and hood, you proved that you don't have the skills for high performance engine modification or knowledge of the inner components and their strengths and weaknesses.

I've been around engines and custom modification for long enough to know that if I have to ask how to do something with no idea of where to start or how it works, I shouldn't be doing that modification. Who knows, maybe you know your **** and are just looking for a cookie cutter fab plan, but that is rarely the case.
Um... Actually, it was me and Hawk that discussed small block chevy's and blowers... And me that put a piston through a hood... Not tomzxt, so don't blame him for that...

And FYI, I know a great deal about how engines work, and what doesn't work...

I didn't know that much then, but I learned... The hard way...

So, there has been a few other blown up engines along the way... Mostly spectacular...

Also, there have been a few succesful ones... Or rather, they outweigh the blowups by a fair margin...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-25-2011 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Back Marker

t99ford is on a distinguished road
I've run nitrous in a couple different applications, and I think that for a street ridden motorcycle, you would be wasting your time for the most part. You can already exceed most speed limits in first or second gear, and using a staged programmable system for acceleration would make the bike nigh on unrideable. Now if your are building a drag bike...

There are a couple plug and play systems available now. The ones I am most familiar with are from Boss Industries, and I have had good luck with them (though have not installed one on the VTR). A 30hp shot would add a significant gain, and still stay below the critical power threshold. It wouldn't come on real hard, either.

But, you then have to deal with filling your bottle (they run out fast), filling your high octane pony bottle (and you though gas was expensive), and you will be running really rich mixtures on NOS (isn't gas expensive). There are a myriad of other concerns, as well. In short, if you run nitrous, you will be screwing with your bike a lot more. If you like this...then it might be down your ally. If you do it, post up so we can see!
Old 11-26-2011, 11:43 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Originally Posted by aja

First, I never said I wanted to put it on my bike. I just asked if anybody had done it on theirs. Some of us get bored and stumble on here late at night to look up weird stuff just for kicks.

Second, I'm always up for learning more about how things work and my motorcycle. People put things in posts sometimes that are not related to the post but are helpful somewhere else. I try to find those pieces of information.

I do know a fair amount about the mechanics of a motorcycle and engines. With all of your nine posts you knew that right? If I am attempting a project most of the time I do like cookie cutters. Somebody took the time to get if right for me by screwing up their stuff so I don't have to. At least that's how I look at it. But I also do my homework to see if there is a better way to do whatever I am looking to do and not just settle for the first one I see.

Originally Posted by sheldonsl
Hey, tomzxt, I'm curious as to what makes you a light cycle expert. Not to kill this thread but it seems to be about done anyway. So?
A few people that contribute a lot on these threads have something expert on there profile. I thought as a joke I'd put mine as light cycle expert since I knew nobody else would put that. Plus I put lights on motorcycles. Kinda fits and Tron is a great movie.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:48 AM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

Originally Posted by t99ford
I've run nitrous in a couple different applications, and I think that for a street ridden motorcycle, you would be wasting your time for the most part. You can already exceed most speed limits in first or second gear, and using a staged programmable system for acceleration would make the bike nigh on unrideable. Now if your are building a drag bike...

There are a couple plug and play systems available now. The ones I am most familiar with are from Boss Industries, and I have had good luck with them (though have not installed one on the VTR). A 30hp shot would add a significant gain, and still stay below the critical power threshold. It wouldn't come on real hard, either.

But, you then have to deal with filling your bottle (they run out fast), filling your high octane pony bottle (and you though gas was expensive), and you will be running really rich mixtures on NOS (isn't gas expensive). There are a myriad of other concerns, as well. In short, if you run nitrous, you will be screwing with your bike a lot more. If you like this...then it might be down your ally. If you do it, post up so we can see!
Thanks for the info. I figured somebody here had done NOS at least once with a small shot like you are talking about. I was wrong.
Old 11-26-2011, 01:09 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by tomzxt
Thanks for the info. I figured somebody here had done NOS at least once with a small shot like you are talking about. I was wrong.
I think one of the main things holding it back is the carbs... An FI bike is much easier to put NOS on, since then you can just richen up the mix in software... On the VTR, you get to play guessing games with the main jets and needles, finding a mix that "kind of works" without the NOS, and keeps the NOS from breaking stuff...

And since most have enough trouble tuning it as they like without adding NOS, I guess no-one has bothered yet... You can be the first... There is already info on converting to FI on a few threads...
Old 11-26-2011, 08:29 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
I think one of the main things holding it back is the carbs... An FI bike is much easier to put NOS on, since then you can just richen up the mix in software... On the VTR, you get to play guessing games with the main jets and needles, finding a mix that "kind of works" without the NOS, and keeps the NOS from breaking stuff...

And since most have enough trouble tuning it as they like without adding NOS, I guess no-one has bothered yet... You can be the first... There is already info on converting to FI on a few threads...

Do it exactly the same as it's done on carb'ed cars. Only add a fuel pump. Put a Nitrous line, and fuel line on two separate solenoids. Set it up to run fine with and without nitrous.

That was how I did it on my El Camino. I had a Cheater plate, with it's own fuel tank, and it's own fuel pump. It was all wired up to a switch that when on, the solenoids were ready to go, and the fuel pump was on supplying pressure. The solenoids were also wired into a full throttle switch, and a fuel pressure switch so if either weren't present, the solenoids wouldn't open.

But I had a trick up my sleve. The Cheater plate (NOS) was good for 250hp. I had bought the Power Shot solenoid covers which just barely fit, and the Power Shot system was only good for 125hp. So I told everyone that I was running the Power shot wide open, but had double. I also had a 385 sbc (.040 over stroked 350) that I had internally balanced with a huge solid roller cam, and told everyone it was a built 350. It made just over 600 on the motor, and just over 875 on the bottle on a dyno. I made a lot of money with that car at the street races, way back before Honda's came around and ruined it for everyone by pulling their stupid bullshit.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Back Marker

t99ford is on a distinguished road

Actually, for nitrous on EFI and carbed engines, the stock tune stays the same. Dry systems (for EFI) modify the fuel map (usually by tampering with air sensors) to add more fuel when on the bottle. Like was said earlier, the wet systems for carbs run their own fuel pump and solenoid, so fuel is supplied to richen the stock mixture only when on gas. So your bike runs normally until the nitrous is added in. The tune on this is not all that hard, since nitrous is always tuned at WOT. I have found the EFI systems are pretty easy to tune, and the wet systems just require fuel jet changes to match the nitrous jet size. The bigger problem with nitrous is all the stuff further down the line, clutches and the like...especially when you get into CVT clutches and the like. As far as the 'hit', the 30 shot on my M000 sled was a gain of 350 RPM, enough to sometimes be the difference, but nothing earth shattering.

I am putting nitrous on my VTR right now...as part of a whole host of other weight loss and visual mods. But I'm holding out till its a little more done (read 'till the alloy tank is done'), since y'all wouldn't believeyour eyes if you saw it right now anyway