Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

No power wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:24 AM
Back Marker

bowhawk is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vega (streetfighter)
I hate to admit it, but I am also a bit of a wheelie *****. I have been actively practicing getting the front end up, but have yet to ride a narly one out for any distance. First comes up really easy, but I dont know if Im paranoid about looping it or whatever, but I do not get distance. My question is this, other than looping it is there any other danger in wheelies? I cluthced one up in first last week and when the front came down it wasnt straight kinda wobbled for a second. Freaked me out a little. But wheelies are so damn cool I want to be able to pull one off any time with out fear. (not in traffic of course) Any tips.
First gear wheelies are scarier than clutching up in second. 5000rpm in second, clutch in revs up to 7-8000rpm, release clutch and keep on the gas. Front will come up much more controlled and you can ride it out as you have more room before needing to change gears. Once you get the hang of it, you can wheelie at 40-80mph whenever you want. Problem then becomes not doing it all the time. Looks good on the track, everywhere else it is a ticket waiting to happen but it's addictive.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:26 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
I hate to admit it, but I am also a bit of a wheelie *****. I have been actively practicing getting the front end up, but have yet to ride a narly one out for any distance. First comes up really easy, but I dont know if Im paranoid about looping it or whatever, but I do not get distance. My question is this, other than looping it is there any other danger in wheelies? I cluthced one up in first last week and when the front came down it wasnt straight kinda wobbled for a second. Freaked me out a little. But wheelies are so damn cool I want to be able to pull one off any time with out fear. (not in traffic of course) Any tips.
biggest risks are:

bike: learning is like learning to drive a manual transmission car - you risk "wearing" some things out. Especially steering bearings, maybe fork seals.

body and bike: biggest risk is probably not looping it, but getting the bars crossed up and then setting the front down with the bars turned far left/right and crashing - almost what you described only more so. You have to use your legs and body position to control your weight - not relying so much on the bars - and when you do use the bars you have to maintain even pressure on each - easier said then done when learning - especially if the front comes up, and takes you by suprise or you get scared - you get off balance, pull harder right or left and quickly shut off the throttle. front comes down crossed up and crash. If you have access to a dirt bike, its much safer and easier to learn on till you get a feel for what "up" feels like, much less pain in crashing (bike and body-wise). Have you ever listened to your voice on tape? sounds awful right? nothing like you sound, or so you thought. Wheelies are like that - people ride the rear for 100 ft, lofting the front - in reality its usually 8 inches up for about 5 feet then a rapid shut-off.

legal: if you are seen wheelie-ing in most communities you will get a significant traffic violation - reckless something or another
Old 12-01-2008, 08:02 AM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Second is much easier and smoother to ride out. Try shifting to 3rd while its up if you are sitting down, practice makes perfect. ALWAYS have the front wheel straight when it lands. I almost got launched last year putting it down in 3rd at 100mph sooner than I expected with the wheel turned. The tank slapper was incredible. I got a steering stabilizer a week later. Another danger to consider is stopping distance, unless you want to look like you're in the PBR, the front must come down gently before you can brake. So if you're riding with some idiot friends and they see you lofting a good one and unconsciously slow down to watch in their mirrors, you better set it down sooner than later. Good friends will speed up and turn on their high beams at night when they are behind you so you can see.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:23 AM
Superstock

rbrais is on a distinguished road
Stock gearing with jet-kit, K&N, and Micron sip-ons: Comes up in first with little effort, no clutch. Second gear I get it up to about 6500 RPM, stand up, pre-load and roll it on. Comes right up. Can't get it to come up in 3rd.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Squid

1zeppfan is on a distinguished road
04 Jardine High Mounts, DynoJet Kit, K&N, Tuned and synced carbs, 1 Down 2 up sprockets and mine will wheelie throttle only but I only weigh 140

Comes up nice in 3rd to

Last edited by 1zeppfan; 12-04-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:18 PM
Duc Hawk
SuperSport

Moto Man is on a distinguished road
My VFR bars put me back and up enough that with stock gearing, jetting and exhaust I was able to get it up with throttle alone if I slid my *** to the rear of the seat. I'm ~190 and 6'. Now that I have 15/43 gearing though I don't need to slide back and the front comes up in 1st with no problem somewhere between 3-4K RPM.

Last edited by Moto Man; 12-04-2008 at 03:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:32 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
The RC51 was wheelying nicely out of turns today in 2nd. That machine has amazing power (but I still love the 'Hawk more).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 AM
Back Marker

Red_Liner740 is on a distinguished road
aah, love the wheeelies, and nothing like v-twin torque to get it up on power alone

scariest was when i was going over a hill full throttle in third and she just came RIGHT UP RIGHT NOW!!! came II that close to looping it....scariest moment by far...

u want it come up easier? street fighter it, all that fairing gone in the front end makes it a LOT lighter....then it comes up much more violently!
Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Squid

DGR Fab is on a distinguished road
Street fightered, seat raised (~1") to clear undertail exhaust, and jetted for open exhaust, 4deg advance and K&N. Roll into throttle gradually until ~5k then whack it open, and ride it out. Can't wait to gear it...