Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

No power wheelie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 07:57 AM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
No power wheelie?

I was a bit surprised that this "torque monster" wouldn't bring up the front end from throttle alone. I AM 230lbs and leaning way forward to reach the clipons, so I understand it's not easy to do.
What does it take? rejetting and breathing help?
I'd prefer to keep the oem exhaust, would going down 1 tooth on the front sprocket make it happen? Up on back? Which is better?

Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
What gear and what revs? Min did it easy in 1 & 2 gear stock and I'm at the 200 mark...
Old 11-29-2008, 08:43 AM
SuperBike

cliby is on a distinguished road
Depends on what you mean by power wheelies? if you mean simply by throttle alone, then no, it won't do it as easily as you may be lead to believe. Others have written about this quite a bit, often exaggerating claims - like it wheelies in third gear easily, etc etc. With nothing more than leaning forward on the clip ons and opening it up full throttle around 4K, it will probably lift the front wheel in first gear, a little. probably. But in now way is this a wheelie happy bike. Depends on gearing, rear suspension settings and technique. But if you want to try just roll along up to a steady 5K rpm in 1st gear, let off the throttle quickly, just long enough to let the front bounce forward and compress the forks. Then right away open it up while giving a small pull back on bars and also using the bounce from the front springs you just compressed (they will bounce back). If it doesn't come up then you aren't trying hard enough. Again, having the rear of the bike raised, or too soft, or the front forks raised will all makes this harder to do for a variety of reasons. And so will taller gearing, obviously.
All the simple things you can do to the engine (aside from being sure its in good tune) won't net you enough power to make a difference in this move.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
If you roll on hard in first gear it will come up, quick. I am 325lbs so weight is not an issue. The key is rolling on hard enough to intentionally wheelie. If you dont roll on hard or quick enough you will just accelerate really hard. Slipping the clutch with a little tug on the bars works the best for my big ***.
Old 11-29-2008, 09:58 AM
SuperSport

PUSHrod is on a distinguished road
Start the roll on at 5-5500 rpm, tugging at the bars at the same time, having already slid your *** back on the seat. Don't forget to cover the rear brake.

Yes, a fifteen tooth front sprocket helps.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:47 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by cliby
Depends on what you mean by power wheelies? if you mean simply by throttle alone, then no, it won't do it as easily as you may be lead to believe. Others have written about this quite a bit, often exaggerating claims - like it wheelies in third gear easily, etc etc. With nothing more than leaning forward on the clip ons and opening it up full throttle around 4K, it will probably lift the front wheel in first gear, a little. probably. But in now way is this a wheelie happy bike. Depends on gearing, rear suspension settings and technique. But if you want to try just roll along up to a steady 5K rpm in 1st gear, let off the throttle quickly, just long enough to let the front bounce forward and compress the forks. Then right away open it up while giving a small pull back on bars and also using the bounce from the front springs you just compressed (they will bounce back). If it doesn't come up then you aren't trying hard enough. Again, having the rear of the bike raised, or too soft, or the front forks raised will all makes this harder to do for a variety of reasons. And so will taller gearing, obviously.
All the simple things you can do to the engine (aside from being sure its in good tune) won't net you enough power to make a difference in this move.
Yeah well I know of almost no bike available on the market that will loft the front with all weight on the bars and just a roll on... They all take some amount of technique...

A little shift in weight plus a small tug on the bars or a "bounce" as you describe and a stock VTR will loft the front consistantly in first and second... But it requires you to be decisive with the throttle...

A good start is to be able to sit with complete balance with your *** alone, keeping balance with your knees and taking all the weigth of the arms... (also useful for longer hauls...) Preferably on the rear part of the seat aswell...

Yeah changing gearing will make it easier to wheelie... But decreases mileage and could make it uncomfortable at highway speeds...

There is a link around here somewhere to a excel spreadsheet that calculates the gearing vs speed differences... Take a look at that...

BTW cliby... On power alone it's more than possible to loop a stock VTR in first gear roll ons as long as you arent putting all weight on the bars... So it will do more than lift slightly... Second gear is an entirely different thing...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-29-2008 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 10:59 AM
SuperBike

killer5280 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vega (streetfighter)
If you roll on hard in first gear it will come up, quick. I am 325lbs so weight is not an issue. The key is rolling on hard enough to intentionally wheelie. If you dont roll on hard or quick enough you will just accelerate really hard. Slipping the clutch with a little tug on the bars works the best for my big ***.
Ditto here. In first gear it will loop from throttle alone with no bouncing or tugging at the bars. In second it will come up with the roll off/roll on technique and some yanking at the bars. Mine will not come up in second with throttle alone.
If it doesn't come up in first gear from throttle alone you're not getting on it hard enough early enough.

Last edited by killer5280; 11-29-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:04 AM
I could ride in
SuperBike

LineArrayNut is on a distinguished road
I have to let off in 1st to KEEP from flipping! 235 lb here. 2nd is ok.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:09 AM
RIP Zy! You will always be in our hearts.
SuperSport

Blue Ridge Boy is on a distinguished road
If you're looking for easy roll-on wheelies...do what I did. 2 teeth down in the front and 4 up in the rear. I'm 185 lbs. and it doesn't matter what body position I'm in...1st gear will flip you if you go full throttle, 3/4 throttle, or even 1/2 throttle. 2nd gear pops up easy as well and 3rd gear will come up under light clutching. Top speed geared like so ain't much...factoring in speedo error (huge error at that gearing)...I've topped out at around 140. For where I live, this is perfect though. It's all corners here...no need for speed.
Old 11-29-2008, 11:34 AM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
I can power wheelie in 1st and sometimes 2nd and am ~200lbs it just takes being aggressive on the throttle with my weight not all on my wrists.. (comfortable upright position will do it)

My bike is 100% stock
Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Always remember to keep your right foot just above the rear brake lever in case you start to come up too high, you can apply the rear brake to get the front wheel back on the ground quickly. Practice make it easier as time goes on. Nothing looks cooler than riding a wheelie.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:49 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
my m900 ducati, 904cc 2 valves per cyl, 80 hp, will roll on wheelie no problem 1st an 2nd gear. I can get it up in third without using the clutch.

The superhawk has more power but it also has a little more weight. I say 1st and 2nd wheelies will happen, and i weigh 130 lbs
Old 11-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Superstock

RoofCleanPhenom is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm about 200lbs maybe less.
If you'd like to see what the hawk can do "wheelie-wise",
get going to about 5k rpms (going steadily).
Then crack open the throttle as quickly as you can.

If you real-ie like to wheel-ie (hehe) start having in depth conversations with your clutch lever. It can work wheelie miracles, but be careful.

From a rolling start, I can normally pop it up from first to second before it even red-line's. I'm nearly positive I could do that into third, but I always run out of room and have to slow down.

I've had it at around 6 or 7k rpm's before (in 1st gear) and was able to get the front end airborne every time I wicked the throttle. Came up 4 or 5 times in a row, then again when shifting into second.

:: Running into my Garage to hug my Hawk ::
Old 11-29-2008, 04:03 PM
Superstock

cameron is on a distinguished road
im not into riding wheelies. but i like watching them in controlled situations (parking lots ect). i will be sure not to do any of before mentioned tecknics lol. im glad it has the power but my hawk will remain grounded.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:47 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
Yeah well I know of almost no bike available on the market that will loft the front with all weight on the bars and just a roll on... They all take some amount of technique...

A little shift in weight plus a small tug on the bars or a "bounce" as you describe and a stock VTR will loft the front consistantly in first and second... But it requires you to be decisive with the throttle...

A good start is to be able to sit with complete balance with your *** alone, keeping balance with your knees and taking all the weigth of the arms... (also useful for longer hauls...) Preferably on the rear part of the seat aswell...

Yeah changing gearing will make it easier to wheelie... But decreases mileage and could make it uncomfortable at highway speeds...

There is a link around here somewhere to a excel spreadsheet that calculates the gearing vs speed differences... Take a look at that...

BTW cliby... On power alone it's more than possible to loop a stock VTR in first gear roll ons as long as you arent putting all weight on the bars... So it will do more than lift slightly... Second gear is an entirely different thing...
but tweety, that was what he asked - will this bike wheelie with just throttle alone? And without some intential effort, this bike is not a big wheelie risk, at least not once rolling above 20mph. From a stop its a different story. There are a lot of current bikes where rolling along in midrange you can wheelie with nothing more than a handful of throttle - geometry and sheer power of some of the newer big bikes make is quite easy.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:04 PM
MotoGP

but tweety, that was what he asked - will this bike wheelie with just throttle alone? And without some intential effort, this bike is not a big wheelie risk, at least not once rolling above 20mph. From a stop its a different story. There are a lot of current bikes where rolling along in midrange you can wheelie with nothing more than a handful of throttle - geometry and sheer power of some of the newer big bikes make is quite easy.
Well... Yes and No... He asked about wheelies... And to assume to do a wheelie with your bodyweight on the bars is stupid... Sorry, but it is...

There are a few bikes that can do that... All stupidly overpowered... But almost all requires you to sit up and remove the weigth from the bars... The VTR can do that, just as well as any other bike with decent torque...

As my bike is now I can get it up in 1'st & 2'nd without any bouncing or otherwise, only power as long as I don't put my bodyweight on the bars... It's a lot easier with help... And in 3'rd it needs the help... But mine's not entirely stock and geared...

A stock VTR that doesn't do powerwheelies in first needs to be repaired... Second might need some help on a stocker... dunno... been a while since mine was stock...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-29-2008 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:25 PM
MLB
Back Marker

MLB is on a distinguished road
The bike runs clean, pulls hard, smooth, no misfiring, etc
But it won't pull the front end up from throttle alone at any rpm under redline (roll ons).
Old 11-29-2008, 05:35 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I don't get it. No matter how much weight I put on my hands, no matter how far forward I climb, no matter how gentle I start out- I can't use full throttle in first without lifting the front wheel.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RK1
I don't get it. No matter how much weight I put on my hands, no matter how far forward I climb, no matter how gentle I start out- I can't use full throttle in first without lifting the front wheel.
Kind of my point here... If your not doing powerwheelies in first you aren't using full throttle... Or something is broken...
Old 11-29-2008, 05:47 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
Clutch it!
Try shifting to second with a handful of throttle before vigorously letting out the clutch lever.
Mine wheelies in 5th (with a big tug and a bump in the road) using the clutch.
Believe it or not the RC is harder to lift than the 'Hawk. They were designed to stick to the road, the 'Hawk has long legs up front. Try standing up too.
Old 11-29-2008, 05:49 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by MLB
The bike runs clean, pulls hard, smooth, no misfiring, etc
But it won't pull the front end up from throttle alone at any rpm under redline (roll ons).
Like I said, I don't think your experience is that unusual. there are lots of exaggerations as I said, and people have long re-geared their bikes, or do a lot of subtle cluthing they are forgetting about, and of course like most things riding related, people's recollections of their personal wheelie skills are often over-rated. For instance, personally I am faster than rossi around most tracks - that guy is a hack compared to me So for ROLL-ON wheelies, try the technique I decribed above and you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to raise easily if you want to.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:20 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Truckinduc
my m900 ducati, 904cc 2 valves per cyl, 80 hp, will roll on wheelie no problem 1st an 2nd gear. I can get it up in third without using the clutch.

The superhawk has more power but it also has a little more weight. I say 1st and 2nd wheelies will happen, and i weigh 130 lbs
well thats because your so light haha. 1st gear should be no prob with roll ons. 2nd ger i could barely get 2nd gear wheelies even with clutch... think my clutch was going though. i didnt like doing to much on the hawk, didnt sound like it liked it to me.
Old 11-29-2008, 08:28 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by RK1
+1 My wife tells me that just about anytime I leave from a stop hard on the throttle, but not necessarily full throttle, the front wheel leaves the ground. I usually don't even feel it.

If you want to FEEL it, do a rolling start in 1st (15 to 20mph) then snap the throttle wide open. Believe me, you will feel it, but be ready for it.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:01 AM
MotoGP

Like I said, I don't think your experience is that unusual. there are lots of exaggerations as I said, and people have long re-geared their bikes, or do a lot of subtle cluthing they are forgetting about, and of course like most things riding related, people's recollections of their personal wheelie skills are often over-rated. For instance, personally I am faster than rossi around most tracks - that guy is a hack compared to me So for ROLL-ON wheelies, try the technique I decribed above and you shouldn't have any trouble getting it to raise easily if you want to.
I tried it today going home from work (BTW it's getting frigging cold, I'm switching to car now... ) Mostly cuz I was wondering myself if I did "help" the bike...

Sitting back on my ***, little or no weight on the bars, 4k-5k and I open it wide... I have to let off on the throttle in first or it keeps going up (more than possible to loop it...), second is possible but needs a full fist of throttle... 3'rd only felt light'ish, kind of bouncy in front... A small "bounce" in 2'nd and it shoots up like in 1'st... 3'rd needs clutch and bounce...

As I was experimenting (company parking lot) I tried to sit dead still and not "help" the bike... Hand of the clutch lever... sitting upright...

Mine is geared at 16/42 stock is 16/41 so a ~3% difference... Also slight mods to the airbox/jet/bafflectomy... For "internal" comparasion only I had a dyno run at 105 bone stock, and 111.5 after my mods... So that's 3% gear change and 6 bhp over stock... That's a very marginal difference in my experience... Also as below, I have the CBR1000RR front end (measured to be ~15 mm lower than stock) and a 6 mm shim in the rear, making for a more forward geometry...

Last edited by Tweety; 11-30-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 01:14 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have to admit I'm a wheelie *****. Which sucks every time I see Hotbrakes ride a stand-up mono for a 1/4 mile. One day soon we gotta shoot that wheelie vid.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:39 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
I don't go around doing intentional wheelies, they just happen. Power wheelies in 1st under hard acceleration, or downshifting and grabbing a handful...OK THAT WAS FUN...not realizing I was downshifting into 1st, or coming over a sharp rise...THOSE are my favorite.

I wheelied my first bike unintentionally about 25 years ago, a CX500 modded for canyon racing. I was passing a young couple on a very short straight on a twisty road. I waited for the chance to pass, downshifted and nailed the throttle, again not realizing I was already in 2nd. The front end was at probably at a 30 degree angle as I passed them. Scared the crap out of me, then I wondered what they thought.

My second bike, CB700SC, could wheelie no problem, but I only did it a few times, mostly unintentional.

My BMW R100RS...I never even tried.

Guys with a lot of dirt bike experience seem to be most comfortable with wheelies. I like my clutch and I don't like crashing.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:39 PM
SuperBike

Originally Posted by Tweety
I tried it today going home from work (BTW it's getting frigging cold, I'm switching to car now... ) Mostly cuz I was wondering myself if I did "help" the bike...

Sitting back on my ***, little or no weight on the bars, 4k-5k and I open it wide... I have to let off on the throttle in first or it keeps going up (more than possible to loop it...), second is possible but needs a full fist of throttle... 3'rd only felt light'ish, kind of bouncy in front... A small "bounce" in 2'nd and it shoots up like in 1'st... 3'rd needs clutch and bounce...

As I was experimenting (company parking lot) I tried to sit dead still and not "help" the bike... Hand of the clutch lever... sitting upright...

Mine is geared at 16/42 stock is 16/41 so a ~3% difference... Also slight mods to the airbox/jet/bafflectomy... For "internal" comparasion only I had a dyno run at 105 bone stock, and 111.5 after my mods... So that's 3% gear change and 6 bhp over stock... That's a very marginal difference in my experience... Also as below, I have the CBR1000RR front end (measured to be ~15 mm lower than stock) and a 6 mm shim in the rear, making for a more forward geometry...

Nice test! I'm jealous you can still ride at least. We had 3 inches of snow today. I'll have to wait till spring, but I am positive in second without using clutch/technique the front won't come up. Remember your front end weighs quite a bit less than stock. Maybe mine makes so much power that the rear tire is just spinning

Last edited by cliby; 11-30-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:26 PM
RK1
MotoGP

RK1 is on a distinguished road
I don't care about or want wheelies. Like VTRsurfer said "I like my clutch and I don't like crashing". If you claim you can't power wheelie your VTR in first gear, there is something very wrong with your VTR.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:35 PM
Back Marker

Vega (streetfighter) is on a distinguished road
I hate to admit it, but I am also a bit of a wheelie *****. I have been actively practicing getting the front end up, but have yet to ride a narly one out for any distance. First comes up really easy, but I dont know if Im paranoid about looping it or whatever, but I do not get distance. My question is this, other than looping it is there any other danger in wheelies? I cluthced one up in first last week and when the front came down it wasnt straight kinda wobbled for a second. Freaked me out a little. But wheelies are so damn cool I want to be able to pull one off any time with out fear. (not in traffic of course) Any tips.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:50 AM
SuperBike

Erik S. is on a distinguished road
Stock gearing with Jardine pipes, I could pull the front wheel up in first just about anytime I wanted to. Did it next to a friend just to show off, about 5K, snapped the throttle, front came up, I rolled off to put it down. Easily could've looped it.

With the 16/43 gearing, it jumps even more. Did that after it was too cool out to really feel comfortable playing with it.

Quick Reply: No power wheelie?