Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

New Dunlop Qualifier

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:47 PM
Back Marker

Nanotech is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up New Dunlop Qualifier

Well, 3 days ago a nail ended the previously happy life my D204 was having. Was going to get it patched and just be careful, however the dealer I went to wouldn't do it due to liability.

Decided to try the Qualifier since it had good reviews....my 2200 mi experience on the SH with the D204 that came stock was not all that bad until I got the tire scrubbed in today for 150 mi and then did some familiar twisties.

The D204 had 1/2" chicken stripes. Every time that I would go around 40 mph curves at 60-70 mph (nice wide lanes to experiment) and adjust throttle even a bit it would begin to slide, albeit a very controllable one. I was actually starting to enjoy this, but betting annoyed that I couldn't lean over without it sliding within 1/2" of the edge of the tire. I am not an aggressive driver, but enjoy smoothly dipping into the curves as much as I can and enjoying the rich torque propelling me out of them. Knowing that others were able to use the whole tire without being super extreme and foolish made me wonder what I was doing wrong.

NOW the QUALIFIER....Same curves after a nice 150 mi scrub in of the tires and I never once had the tire slide. Took the afore mentioned corners 5-10 mph faster since I wouldn't begin to slide. Never pushing my comfort zone, or trying to get near the limits of the tires, I was surprised that I was able to gain speed and confidence only 10-15 minutes with these tires. Getting off the bike after my ride I examined my back tire AND only 1/4" chicken stripe there! I had gone 1000 mi without any improvement with the D204 due to the sliding issue.

Now chicken stripes are NOT my benchmark to good riding....I realize the tire could have a different shape to it thus getting closer to the edge with similiar riding. The fact remains however, that this tire does not slide like the D204. It is more grippy around corners and WAY grippier when braking with the back brake.

Conclusion of this: Qualifier>D204 in grip and cornering performance. Mileage remains to be seen. Those of you who really go through tires and have tried many probably knew this or would have guessed it, but for me it was neat to experience the improvement. 2 thumbs up from me!
Old 08-15-2006, 02:06 PM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
Now just put on a matching front tire and your set.
Best to have a matching set of tire compounds.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Back Marker

True...heard that, should, will soon. Does seem to handle well though so far with the mismatched front.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:56 PM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah, I'd ignore that mis-matched tire bugaboo talk. Just as likely to handle a little better, as a little worse in my experience. Lots of riders over in GB like to use a sport touring rear & a sport front.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:16 PM
Superstock

selztoad is on a distinguished road
i have found a good combo...conti Sport attack up front and conti road attack at the rear...they stick well and last a good bit too.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:57 PM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
No big surprise that a 2006 tire is better than a 1996 tire. Yup, the 204's have been around a long time. Best rim protector you can buy! :-)

If you going to run mismatch tires (I do), run the grippier one in front. Logic being you want the rear to slide first.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:56 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm smoking a set of Qualifiers right now mmmm tasty! I put 4 trackdays on em and was still running good times with them, I give them a thumbs up.
Old 08-15-2006, 05:24 PM
Superstock

selztoad is on a distinguished road
yeah i am running the sport attack on the front which is the stickier one
Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 PM
Back Marker

Very good! Sounds like my next purchase will be a sticky front, but so far the front hasn't budged. Figured it would be better being newer as Superbling stated, but it seems that so many things are pure marketing and not noticeable to the average joe, so glad to experience a true difference.

Glad to here that they hold up well on trackdays too, Superhawk22...some day I hope to take a jaunt 'round one. Thanks for all the replies...
Old 08-16-2006, 04:53 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Nanotech,

PLEASE replace that front tire. Dunlop doesn't even make the 204 anymore IIRC, and that thing is dangerous, especially now that you're more comfortable and going faster with the new rear. I'd hate to have you go down and get yourself and/or your bike hurt. It ain't worth the $100 to wait. I have the Qualifier OEM version that came on the '06 R6 and I absolutely love 'em! The front really inspires confidence and I never have to worry about what the back end is doing. I can pin it in 2nd gear out of corners and never worry a bit.
Old 08-16-2006, 05:28 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Nanotech,

PLEASE replace that front tire. Dunlop doesn't even make the 204 anymore IIRC, and that thing is dangerous, especially now that you're more comfortable and going faster with the new rear. I'd hate to have you go down and get yourself and/or your bike hurt. It ain't worth the $100 to wait. I have the Qualifier OEM version that came on the '06 R6 and I absolutely love 'em! The front really inspires confidence and I never have to worry about what the back end is doing. I can pin it in 2nd gear out of corners and never worry a bit.
+1

As tires get older, the rubber gets harder and some other physical changes I'm not really qualified to espouse upon do happen that make the tire no longer road worthy. I did some tire testing for Pirelli, (low key stuff for an internet site) but it did get me access to the really smart guys there and at Dunlop.. for a lot of Q & A. I learned more in those 4 weeks, then I had in the prior 20 years of riding. The tech, R&D, real user testing that goes into a tire is simply amazing.
An old tire is,,,,well old.. Both in design and tech,, as well as the compounds used to build it.. Which are effected by weather, temp, light, chemical exposure, and about a hundred other things I forgot. Add in to the mix a new, modern sticky sport tire in the rear,, and you will quickly overpower that old front. Most likely in a abrupt loss of traction. It will show as a push at first,, as you reach the limits.. but from a slight push, to chatter or outright loss of traction.... will go by in an uncontrollable fraction of a second... Leaving you on the ground tiring to figure out what just happened.. So,, run that old one ...if you see no outside damage.... but make um easy low ke miles until you can get a fresh tire up there.

Wow.... that was a much longer post then planned....... Sorry folks. Off the soap box now.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 AM
Back Marker

Well, I'd love to argue, but the arguments from those that know more than me are overwhelmingly in favor of the new front!

Since the new back is so sticky, I do see the logic in soon overpowering the front, and I know from small gravel patches that I am NOT comfortable with the front sliding around. So, new matching tire ordered for the front today.

Thanks for the advice.