Technical Discussion Topics related to Technical Issues

new tires (dunlop qualifiers

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 05:35 PM
Squid

FRANKSVTR
new tires (dunlop qualifiers

Hey gues just got a new back tire on my hawk it came with dunlop 204's got a nail in the back tire so had a new one put on its a qualifier is that a good tire ( as far as lasting and traction goes) and will I have problems since I kept the original 204 on the front.... I know the 204 cant hook up as good as the qualifier but how big of a problem will it be.... Going to deal gap dont want to lowside because of a tire....
Old 05-03-2006, 05:45 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
I haven't had them on for long enough to tell what kind of mileage you'll get and probably will never know. I do a lot of trackdays and they get torn up pretty fast on the track. That being said I had my best lap times with no tire issues at all and they look like they could take 2 more track lashings. I personaly would change the front as well but that's because I hated the 204's. Some people say not to mix tread patteren and compounds while others say it's no big deal. I tried to mix some Avon's AV39sp pro's & 50 same basic tire but a year apart in design and had a bit of a wiggle in the front end.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:55 AM
Squid

dustinwild
Re: new tires (dunlop qualifiers

I have had some experience on and off the track on different tires. On my first bike (CBR600F3) I put a Metzler Race tire on the front and D364 dunlop on the rear. They were both considered race compound tires, and I honestly could not get that bike to slide at all, very sticky tires that held up great through 2 track days. My brother bought a ZX9R and burned up the rear D207 doing wheelies, so I put a BT020 bridgestone on the rear. On the road, no problems what so ever. But on the track the D207 definately stuck a lot better. I could feel the rear end slide out a lot, and it didn't give me very good feedback at all. But, the tire has been holding up great with the beating that my brother gives it, by trying to drive on the rear tire all the time. My recommendation with using different tires on your bike is, as long as you know you have them and you compensate, or expect the differences, you shouldn't have a problem. I have yet to see a problem with mixing companies, compounds, or styles, other then the obvious traction, and treadlife. Simply be aware of what you are riding on, and try to predict how the tires will handle, and you should never have a problem. If you would lowside due to the tire on the front, if you had both tires on, either one would let go, not specifically the front. Plus, I would rather lowside, then highside.. If I was going to go down...