Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Need Some Carb Setup Insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
If you open the choke when the bike is warm and running, AND under power (throttle open), if it's running right then the bike should stumble a bit.

Twins (well, this twin anyway) generally like to be run a little richer than I4's. It's also a little safer. Lean is mean, meaning it makes more power, but it also runs hotter and you risk burning a valve or whatnot. Lean also affects driveability in that you get some surging and stumbles, and sometimes a backfire through the carbs. A little richer is safer, but doesn't make quite as much power, but has great driveability, and keeps the cylinder cooler. Too rich and you get bogging and less power, you can smell it in the exhaust, and you get sooty deposits on your plugs, valves, and exhaust.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:00 PM
Back Marker

WhOrD is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Hawkrider
If you open the choke when the bike is warm and running, AND under power (throttle open), if it's running right then the bike should stumble a bit.

Twins (well, this twin anyway) generally like to be run a little richer than I4's. It's also a little safer. Lean is mean, meaning it makes more power, but it also runs hotter and you risk burning a valve or whatnot. Lean also affects driveability in that you get some surging and stumbles, and sometimes a backfire through the carbs. A little richer is safer, but doesn't make quite as much power, but has great driveability, and keeps the cylinder cooler. Too rich and you get bogging and less power, you can smell it in the exhaust, and you get sooty deposits on your plugs, valves, and exhaust.
*Almost everything on my bike was running very well, except for bogging in the Idle (1200rpm) - 2000rpm range. users suggested I was rich, however I felt otherwise.

To my surprise, the choke works as expected for cold starts / warming up, however once the bike is warm and running in ~ 78* ambient temperature, even pulling the choke out a little (at idle) caused the bike to instantly die.

This (according to Hawk (and I agree)) proved I was running rich on the pilots. Ideally the bike should have run *worse, but not die all together. I moved from 2 1/2 2 1/4 turns f & b to 1/4 turn in on both. 2 1/4 front 2 back.

Here is my current *fine tuning thread:
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-carb-q-30114/

Last edited by WhOrD; 04-30-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
I GOT IT!!! figured it out today, I went to the second notch on the needles and it was awful So I went back to the third notch and took the mixture screws another half a turn out and its great tons of power , pulls the wheel just power on ,

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP
Old 07-14-2013, 07:10 AM
Back Marker

Caffeine is on a distinguished road
I went to tune my hawk and found a little surprise.. after some research manly on the UK site, I found what I had.. two brotehrs pipes/and block off plates. K&N air filter, 188, 182 Main jets and adjustable needles = Factory pro kit oh and 45 pilot jets.
The bike runs really nice and has been setup like this for years. 76,000km on it at this point. if your tunning with after market needles you may want to take a look at the UK site advice, very well explained.
Carb Tuning guide (setting up a Dynojet or Factory Pro kit)
www.vtr1000.org • View topic - Carb Tuning guide (setting up a Dynojet or Factory Pro kit)
Old 07-14-2013, 05:29 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Well thank so kindly sir. What a lot of new users tend to neglect is a little bit of carb theory and an understanding of what controls what and how one thing effects another within carbs.

It's all well and good us saying you may be this or that or you should drop down one size here or go up one size there, and we can to a degree get people on the right track. If we don't because the posters description is not as accurate as they think or some vital info has been left out, it can turn into a bit of guesswork. Then what we advice is still not necessarily bad, at least it gets people used to stripping the carbs down and changing things, playing or experimenting with settings if you like! Then they start to get the feel for things and how one thing affects another. IMO this is the best way to learn.

We can help to a point but when it gets down to fine tuning things it gets tricky, but hopefully by this point the user has learnt enough to diagnose and realise what needs doing.

One thing to remember is that every bike is going to be slightly different because of climate conditions, the amount of wear and tear on engines, different mods, exhaust etc. No two bikes will have the exact same set up. They may be close but they wont be the same.

(:-})