Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Need Some Carb Setup Insight

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Superstock

Billzilla15 is on a distinguished road
Need Some Carb Setup Insight

ok here we go

2002 Hawk

Stock Filter

Short 2 Brothers Exhaust (cans are only 9in long)

Current Carb Setup
Factory Pro Titanium Jet Kit
180F / 182R
#50 Pilot Jet
Mixture Scew 1.5 Turns Out
Titanium Needles Clip Set At 2nd Notch

Bike Runs Great to 7k then Begins to cough and stutter while Stumbling up to red line

Anyone have some insight as to what needs to be done with the carbs i feel like its lean still and maybe starving for fuel at higher rpms

i did perform a carb sync while it made a small difference issue is still there, the petcock diaghfram is also new and the vacuum lines are all hooked up properly

thanks everyone
Old 04-12-2013, 04:57 PM
Superstock

zxbud is on a distinguished road
Trial and Error

Originally Posted by Billzilla15
ok here we go

2002 Hawk

Stock Filter

Short 2 Brothers Exhaust (cans are only 9in long)

Current Carb Setup
Factory Pro Titanium Jet Kit
180F / 182R
#50 Pilot Jet
Mixture Scew 1.5 Turns Out
Titanium Needles Clip Set At 2nd Notch

Bike Runs Great to 7k then Begins to cough and stutter while Stumbling up to red line

Anyone have some insight as to what needs to be done with the carbs i feel like its lean still and maybe starving for fuel at higher rpms

i did perform a carb sync while it made a small difference issue is still there, the petcock diaghfram is also new and the vacuum lines are all hooked up properly

thanks everyone

Since this is all trail and error I would try this. Drop the needle clips down 2 notches raising needles and retest. If it's better you're in the zone but if worse then you may have other issues.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
What do the plugs look like? Personally I would think you are way rich right now Name:  idunno.gif
Views: 397
Size:  4.4 KB
Old 04-13-2013, 04:18 AM
Superstock

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
What do the plugs look like? Personally I would think you are way rich right now Attachment 15375
I'll snap a picture in a bit and post it the plugs are new just put them in
Old 04-13-2013, 06:29 AM
SuperBike

HRCA#1 is on a distinguished road
Be sure to do a good plug chop if you want get get a "read" on the plugs.
Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 AM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Start with the mains drop a size and see if things improve above 7 tho but the stubbie cans don't help. Maybe try a 178F and 180R Also what air filter are you running.

(:-})
Old 04-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Superstock

OK here's some pics hopefully this works

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6_I...?usp=drive_web

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6_I...?usp=drive_web

Sorry it took a while

Last edited by Billzilla15; 04-16-2013 at 01:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM
SuperBike

RCVTR is an unknown quantity at this point
What do the plugs look like? Personally I would think you are way rich right now Attachment 15375
I was thinking the same thing. With # 50 pilot jets and big main jets, it's about guaranteed. The pilot jets add to the overall mixture, so you have more than plenty fuel.

Based on Mike's tuning advice and my experience, I would drop the pilots down to no more than #48 and you will likely end up going down in the main jets as well, then raising the needles to richen the midrange. But not with the main jets you have. You may be able to get the midrange to work, with the main jets you have, but the top end will probably still be fat.

at one time I had 180 and 185 jets, with #48 mains and the engine would fall on it's face at high altitude, above 7000 ft, so it was borderline too rich at low altitude and way too rich at altitude.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:53 PM
Superstock

ok thanks let me know if you think this is a good starting point then

#48 Pilot Jet

#175 Front #178# Rear (or #178 front and #180 Rear)

Needle on #4 From the top (or #2 from the top)

Mixture Screws at 2 Out

i don't really know where to start with this so any info on a good base would be great
Old 04-16-2013, 01:12 PM
SuperBike

Well...
I used to think that going up in the main jets was required with an open exhaust, but again, with Mike's experince and my own set of after work carb tuning ("Are you working on that.. MOTORCYCLE again??), I would probably go back to 175 and 178, with #48 pilot jets, since the bigger pilots effect the top end as well.

I'm guessing start at notch 2 or 3, and see what happens in the low-midrange transition on to the needle progression. Fine tune form there.

Mr. 8541Hawk can correct me from there...

Also, use the idle screws to adjust the idle mixture, not to tune the top end.

Last edited by RCVTR; 04-16-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Well...
I used to think that going up in the main jets was required with an open exhaust, but again, with Mike's experince and my own set of after work carb tuning ("Are you working on that.. MOTORCYCLE again??), I would probably go back to 175 and 178, with #48 pilot jets, since the bigger pilots effect the top end as well.

I'm guessing start at notch 2 or 3, and see what happens in the low-midrange transition on to the needle progression. Fine tune form there.

thanks, ill set it and see what happens might be a little bit, maybe mr. hawk can chime in
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by RCVTR
Well...

What is there to correct... that is what I would do also.
The only other thing I would try is to run 2 shims on the rear needle and 1 shim on the front.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:21 PM
Superstock

What is there to correct... that is what I would do also.
The only other thing I would try is to run 2 shims on the rear needle and 1 shim on the front.
even on the factory pro needles which are adjustable?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:30 PM
SuperBike

Think of slot position as a coarse adjustment, shims as a medium adjustment and pilot mixture screws as fine. One step at a time...

Mike's suggestion adds a bit more fuel to the rear.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:45 PM
Banned
MotoGP

It's something I got from HRC to stagger the needles.
It is just something else to try while you are fine tuning.
Old 04-18-2013, 02:10 PM
Superstock

ok guys took all of your advice changed the jets 175 and 178 and *48 my needles are at the third notch and mixture screws are two out,

it ran Great no coughs or stutters just a smooth pull

it does however lack a lot of power am i to rich still? should i put the stock needles back in or just lean out the needles by a notch or maybe 2
Old 04-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Another place to use the choke to figure out what you need to do....

After the bike is warmed up, just slightly open the choke (or enrichment circuit) and see how the bike runs.

Is it better? then you are lean.
Is it worse? then you are rich.

and go from there, though the closer you get the harder it will be to trouble shoot over the net.

I does come to a point where I need to ride the bike at times....
Old 04-26-2013, 12:22 PM
Superstock

Another place to use the choke to figure out what you need to do....

After the bike is warmed up, just slightly open the choke (or enrichment circuit) and see how the bike runs.

Is it better? then you are lean.
Is it worse? then you are rich.

and go from there, though the closer you get the harder it will be to trouble shoot over the net.

I does come to a point where I need to ride the bike at times....
i did the choke thing today (finally got a chance to take the hawk out) and i noticed almost no difference with the choke open, the rpms kicked up slightly when cruising but at WOT and when accelerating it didnt make a diffrence
Old 04-26-2013, 01:27 PM
Superstock

cybercarl is on a distinguished road
it does however lack a lot of power am i to rich still? should i put the stock needles back in or just lean out the needles by a notch or maybe 2
lack a lot of power does not gives us much to go on as a description but what I read from that is that you feel it to be a bit flat and not as crisp would suggests a little to rich. I wouldn't go putting the stock needles back in as there is no real need for it your just at that fine tuning stage, borderline on it being spot on which can be tricky to work out which way to go. 1 notch on the needle may be too much and 2 IMO is too big a step. You may just need to add a shim which is inbetween 1 notch, so a half step to richen a tad or move the needle back one notch and add a shim to lean it off half a step. Hope that makes sense.

As hawk said the closer you get the harder it is to troubleshoot as it gets harder to determine where in the circuit it may need tweaking.

You should have felt something from the choke test. Maybe you did not pull it out quite enough. But to be honest when it comes to fine tuning, the choke test gets a bit tricky. It's great when you are making course adjustments and need to know whether your lean or rich.

Quick question have you adjusted your TPS at all as FP recommend. This does make a difference to low speed idle and steady state cruise.

Have a read through the following thread as it will have some relevant info and some useful links that can help you determine which way need to go.
https://www.superhawkforum.com/forum...-carb-q-30114/

(:-})
Old 04-26-2013, 02:39 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Sounds like your initial guess of lean is correct, which is super surprising since you have #50 idle jets and sufficiently sized mains, and you're not at sea level to top it off. Check for vacuum leaks first and ensure the carbs are fully seated and the boots aren't cracked. If all looks SAT then move on with rejetting richer.

One other question: Is your airbox stock and unmodified (lid intact, no holes, snorkel installed)?
Old 04-26-2013, 03:27 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Hawkrider
Sounds like your initial guess of lean is correct, which is super surprising since you have #50 idle jets and sufficiently sized mains, and you're not at sea level to top it off. Check for vacuum leaks first and ensure the carbs are fully seated and the boots aren't cracked. If all looks SAT then move on with rejetting richer.

One other question: Is your airbox stock and unmodified (lid intact, no holes, snorkel installed)?
Yes completely stock the whole bike other than the short two brothers exhaust and I took the advice above and bumped down to a no48 pilot jet and the mains are back to stock sizes
Old 04-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Ah, gotcha. Just read the whole thread. Duh...

If it's not too much trouble I'd go up one size on the mains, to 178/180. Just my opinion.

How is cold starting? Also, you do realize this bike really has no top end hit, right? It's a very linear pull pretty much to redline. The first time I rode a Superhawk I was pulling onto the highway and rammed smack into the limiter because I was waiting for that pull. Well, you just won't get one with this animal. She's a different breed.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Superstock

Ah, gotcha. Just read the whole thread. Duh...

If it's not too much trouble I'd go up one size on the mains, to 178/180. Just my opinion.

How is cold starting? Also, you do realize this bike really has no top end hit, right? It's a very linear pull pretty much to redline. The first time I rode a Superhawk I was pulling onto the highway and rammed smack into the limiter because I was waiting for that pull. Well, you just won't get one with this animal. She's a different breed.
Right I know that but its missing its low and mid grunt I used to be able to pop the front wheel right up just power on I can't do that anymore

Last edited by Billzilla15; 04-29-2013 at 06:02 AM. Reason: i cant spell
Old 04-27-2013, 11:22 AM
Banned
MotoGP

As you said opening the choke did nothing, personally I would start with the choke cable.

Does it move smoothly and stay open or is it hard to pull and wants to close by itself?

If it doesn't move smoothly check the cables and the tube where it splits from one to two.

If the end caps on that tube are not seated or the cable is hanging up then the enrichment needles might be sticking open.
Old 04-29-2013, 06:03 AM
Superstock

As you said opening the choke did nothing, personally I would start with the choke cable.

Does it move smoothly and stay open or is it hard to pull and wants to close by itself?

If it doesn't move smoothly check the cables and the tube where it splits from one to two.

If the end caps on that tube are not seated or the cable is hanging up then the enrichment needles might be sticking open.
i am having some issues with the choke staying open, ill look into that and report back
Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Remove the small rubber sheath under the choke ****. There is a knurled nut under there which will increase the friction on the shaft. Tighten it. Replace rubber sheath.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
To clarify... LIFT the rubber ring, not remove... I had someone take an exacto knife to the rubber after saying that to him, so I'm not making assumptions...
Old 04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Administrator
World Champion

Thanks for the clarification. Of course you can always click on the link to my site and I've got pics and all that cool **** to go along with it.

...or I could just link to the pic...

Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Superstock

Upland111 is on a distinguished road
Another thought, you might want to try a flo-commander as some of us have for fine tuning, rather than use the choke. It's pretty much what they are for, IMHO. But, the choke is cheaper and you don't have to wait for/install etc.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:44 AM
Superstock

Thanks for the clarification. Of course you can always click on the link to my site and I've got pics and all that cool **** to go along with it.

...or I could just link to the pic...

well that was easy, thanks guys i would have never figured that out, ok so now the choke is staying open, and i know that its working because when i cold start it the choke open engine rpms are up and if its still cold and i close the choke it almost dies, so if that's working why wouldn't i see a difference when riding it. my thought (im probably wrong) is that im rich already and opening the choke is just making it richer therefore im not noticing any difference, so im thinking im going to go up a notch on the needle and try that(im on the third notch so up to lean it out). Thoughts

Quick Reply: Need Some Carb Setup Insight