Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

OIL COOLER LINES

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 07:40 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
OIL COOLER LINES

HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE REPLACED THIER OIL COOLER LINES WITH SS BRAIDED HOSES? LOOKING FOR A SOURCE FOR FITTINGS, ETC. MAY REQUIRE REPLACING OIL COOLER ALSO. ALL SPECULATION A THIS POINT. ANY HELP/ADVICE APPRIECIATED. KEEP ON THUMPIN!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:42 PM
SuperBike

Truckinduc is on a distinguished road
Never seen anything done. Guessing because the are hard lines with flex joints at the ends.

I cut and shortened mine.

If you decide to get rid of the stock cooler please let me know My dad is interested it buying one.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:27 PM
SuperSport

kai ju is an unknown quantity at this point
[QUOTE=Truckinduc;209195]Never seen anything done. Guessing because the are hard lines with flex joints at the ends.

Mine are braided lines.
I cut the stock lines off the fittings which I drilled out to accept AN fittings.
Brazed those into the stock fittings.
Cut the hoses to length, assembled the fittings and installed the cooler.
Got the hoses and fittings from Earl's Supply in Lawndale, Ca.

http://www.anplumbing.com/

Kai Ju
Attached Thumbnails OIL COOLER LINES-image024.jpg   OIL COOLER LINES-image025.jpg  
Old 04-06-2009, 08:32 PM
SuperBike

Ya is was referring to stock kits you could buy.

do you see any benefit to braided lines?
Old 04-06-2009, 08:42 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Truckinduc
Ya is was referring to stock kits you could buy.

do you see any benefit to braided lines?
I can't weld worth a damn but I can cut,braze and screw...........

Kai Ju
Old 04-06-2009, 08:53 PM
SuperBike

Ha, got ya.

I can weld OK, not great. The stock lines are paper thin, and extremely hard to weld. Mine still has pinholes in it.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
I'm having corrosion issues w/ mine. Not leaking, but developing some rust acne on them. I assume it has something to do w/ salt and/ or dirt being deposited on them and not being washed down before storage. I was thinking to replace them w/ equal size stainless tubing. Is that realistic?
Old 04-22-2009, 07:16 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by BluStreak
I'm having corrosion issues w/ mine. Not leaking, but developing some rust acne on them. I assume it has something to do w/ salt and/ or dirt being deposited on them and not being washed down before storage. I was thinking to replace them w/ equal size stainless tubing. Is that realistic?
Clean and paint or heatshrink tubing if you can get it over the fittings.

On the other hand, it really wasn't that hard to make my own with standard plumbing and AN fittings.

Kai Ju

Last edited by kai ju; 04-22-2009 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
MotoGP

VTRsurfer is on a distinguished road
If lines with stainless tubes were available to replace the stock chrome tubes, I'd probably go for them. Living near the ocean my stock chrome lines are rusted badly.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Back Marker

MOONSTER is on a distinguished road
HEY KAI JU NICE WORK. APPEARS THAT'S AN AFTERMARKET OIL COOLER. NEED TO FIGURE OUT WHAT TO DO WITH MINE SINCE I HAD A CLOSE ENCOUNTER WITH AN ARMIDILLO. TEXAS ARMORED RAT!
Old 04-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Back Marker

BluStreak is on a distinguished road
I assume when you refer to braze, you're talking about welding........and what is an AN fitting? Excuse me, I'm a mechanical moron.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:59 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by BluStreak
I assume when you refer to braze, you're talking about welding........and what is an AN fitting? Excuse me, I'm a mechanical moron.
Both entries from Wikipedia:
Brazing is a joining process whereby a filler metal or alloy is heated to melting temperature above 450 °C (840 °F)—or, by the traditional definition in the United States, above 800 °F (427 °C)—and distributed between two or more close-fitting parts by capillary action. At its liquid temperature, the molten filler metal and flux interacts with a thin layer of the base metal, cooling to form a strong, sealed joint. By definition the melting temperature of the braze alloy is lower (sometimes substantially) than the melting temperature of the materials being joined. The brazed joint becomes a sandwich of different layers, each metallurgically linked to the adjacent layers.

Common brazements are about 1⁄3 as strong as the parent materials[citation needed] due either to the inherent lower yield strength of the braze alloy or to the low fracture toughness of intermetallic components. To create high-strength brazes, a brazement can be annealed to homogenize the grain structure and composition (by diffusion) with that of the parent material . On the other hand, brazed joints in automotive sheet metal are considerably stronger than the surrounding native sheet steel.

As far as AN fittings are concerned, here goes:

The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification stemming from a joint standard agreed upon by the Army and Navy, hence AN. The standard is sometimes mistakenly referred to as "Air Force-Navy", but it dates back to World War Two, before there was a separate US Air Force.

AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 x 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size.

AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-metal seal. They are similar to other 37° flared fittings, such as JIC fittings, which is their industrial variant. The two are interchangeable in theory, though this is typically not recommended due to the exacting specifications and demands of the aerospace industry. The differences between them relate to thread class (how tight a fit the threads are) and the metals used.

Note that 37° AN and 45° SAE fittings and tooling are not interchangeable due to the different flaring angles. Mixing them can cause leakage at the flare.

The info in the third paragraph allowed me to mix and match AN fittings with common hardware store fittings that I brazed ( there is that word again ) into the cooler/engine adaptors

Kai Ju

P.S. gotta love the internet.
Having said that.............Log Off And Ride
Old 01-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Superstock

salmanilla2000 is on a distinguished road
[quote=kai ju;209201]
Originally Posted by Truckinduc
Never seen anything done. Guessing because the are hard lines with flex joints at the ends.

Mine are braided lines.
I cut the stock lines off the fittings which I drilled out to accept AN fittings.
Brazed those into the stock fittings.
Cut the hoses to length, assembled the fittings and installed the cooler.
Got the hoses and fittings from Earl's Supply in Lawndale, Ca.

http://www.anplumbing.com/

Kai Ju
Hey Kai,
Where did you get the oil cooler from (make/model of bike or ATV, other)?
Old 01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
SuperSport

Kawasaki ZRX6, year unknown, E-Bay for $10 plus shipping.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:27 PM
SuperBike

autoteach is on a distinguished road
Hey, Moonster,
SHOUTING in caps is not just a lazy way of typing, it makes it terribly difficult to read. There are fundamental reasons why type fonts have capitals and lowercase letters and it has to do with the way our brains deal with information. I guarantee that if you were to type your posts correctly and also in all caps, if you put them next to each other and chose what was easier to read, it would be the mechanically correct version. Hope my lesson on written language and the brain isn't received badly. Have a nice day.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:46 PM
aka tony.mon, vtr1000.org
Squid

VTaRse is on a distinguished road
RC51 four-row fits straight on, with a small twist of the line one side. And the top mounting bracket holes don't line up, but one does, and it hangs on that no trouble.

But I preferred braided lines, so fitted them as suggested above, leaving the standard flexible part in place.

Cools slightly better, which is what I was after as I fitted high comp pistons and it now runs a little hot with a 4 degree advancer in.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:44 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
These guys list the oil cooler fittings and many different coolers to choose from. I haven't used them, just found it one day while searching.

HONDA VTR1000F Oil Cooler
Old 05-27-2011, 11:30 PM
Back Marker

msethhunter is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MOONSTER
HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE REPLACED THIER OIL COOLER LINES WITH SS BRAIDED HOSES? LOOKING FOR A SOURCE FOR FITTINGS, ETC. MAY REQUIRE REPLACING OIL COOLER ALSO. ALL SPECULATION A THIS POINT. ANY HELP/ADVICE APPRIECIATED. KEEP ON THUMPIN!

Here's a little tip to help the rest of us read your posts. Please, turn the caps lock off when you type. I know you're not, but it's almost like you're yelling at all of us when you leave it on *ducks behind couch*
Old 05-28-2011, 12:13 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by msethhunter
Here's a little tip to help the rest of us read your posts. Please, turn the caps lock off when you type. I know you're not, but it's almost like you're yelling at all of us when you leave it on *ducks behind couch*
Haha, this guy hasn't posted in months, and his last full caps post was over a year ago... just sayin

Hawk... those are intersting... but 100 bucks seems like a lot for such a small fitting. I wonder if you could hack the old ones to fit? I'd have to look at the bike...
Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 7moore7
Haha, this guy hasn't posted in months, and his last full caps post was over a year ago... just sayin

Hawk... those are intersting... but 100 bucks seems like a lot for such a small fitting. I wonder if you could hack the old ones to fit? I'd have to look at the bike...
A lot of folks have reused the stock fittings but was just throwing out another option.
Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
Superstock

nekkid is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
These guys list the oil cooler fittings and many different coolers to choose from. I haven't used them, just found it one day while searching.

HONDA VTR1000F Oil Cooler
The full kits on this link look great. The $700.00+ price tag seems a little steep though. Maybe when the yen/dollar rate is friendlier to us...
Old 06-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Squid

AKBadRep is on a distinguished road
Can I just remove the oil cooler and not have to worry about anything? I live in Alaska and the outside temperature rarely gets above 70-75. I have a watercooled system on the bike. Can I get away without having the oil cooler?
Old 06-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Rex Kramer-Thrill Seeker
SuperBike

CruxGNZ is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AKBadRep
Can I just remove the oil cooler and not have to worry about anything? I live in Alaska and the outside temperature rarely gets above 70-75. I have a watercooled system on the bike. Can I get away without having the oil cooler?
Is your oil cooler damaged? Is that why you want to remove it? If not, I would leave it alone.

What's this water cooled system you speak of? Are you referring to the cooling system?
Old 06-03-2011, 01:08 PM
Squid

Yes. the cooler is damaged. It rolled up on the tire and basically crushed the fins. I bought the bike with the oil cooler not in the correct position and not using any brackets. I failed to make any permanent bracket before damage occurred. Yes, it has a pretty big radiator for cooling engine temps, at least I hope that's what it's there for.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:12 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Yes. the cooler is damaged. It rolled up on the tire and basically crushed the fins. I bought the bike with the oil cooler not in the correct position and not using any brackets. I failed to make any permanent bracket before damage occurred. Yes, it has a pretty big radiator for cooling engine temps, at least I hope that's what it's there for.
It has one big radiator, as in one? VTR's usually have two... One radiator might work in a cooler climate, but removing the oil cooler is most definetely a bad idea unless you are riding in the winter months...
Old 06-03-2011, 01:22 PM
Squid

My bike is a street fighter mod. I'm assuming that it was wrecked once upon a time. No plastics came with when I purchased. So, maybe the radiator is a replacement for two, there is just one.
Old 06-03-2011, 01:27 PM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Wink

My bike is a street fighter mod. I'm assuming that it was wrecked once upon a time. No plastics came with when I purchased. So, maybe the radiator is a replacement for two, there is just one.
A picture would be good.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Squid

I would just like to know if anyone else has ever removed the oil cooler from their ride and suffered because of it? The radiator is not the question, but the oil cooler. The temperature gauge has never gone past the first nick from C. I have ridden it for at least two hours straight, turned on and off of course but just for short periods of time.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:16 PM
Squid

orangezuk is on a distinguished road
I work for a co. pirtek, in st. paul MN. We make hose assemblies ect.
I just replaced the "flex lines" in my oil cooler lines with some SS hose and anodized "AN" style fittings. I just did the length of the original hoses but I'm sure you could do more as long as you found a way to support them a little.

First, we cut the hose out of the line (cut out more if longer hoses are the goal). Next fit a male "AN" (37deg,JIC) "weld ons" to hardline/adapters that go into the block and cooler. Silver soder "weld ons" to hardline/adapters and make a hose to fit.
Wala; a little superhawk bling.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:00 AM
Back Marker

superhen is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by orangezuk
I work for a co. pirtek, in st. paul MN. We make hose assemblies ect.
I just replaced the "flex lines" in my oil cooler lines with some SS hose and anodized "AN" style fittings. I just did the length of the original hoses but I'm sure you could do more as long as you found a way to support them a little.

First, we cut the hose out of the line (cut out more if longer hoses are the goal). Next fit a male "AN" (37deg,JIC) "weld ons" to hardline/adapters that go into the block and cooler. Silver soder "weld ons" to hardline/adapters and make a hose to fit.
Wala; a little superhawk bling.
So what size fittings slip over the hard lines, -6?

Quick Reply: OIL COOLER LINES