Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

moto gp style exhaust idea?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 09:00 PM
i support twins
Superstock

BlackHawk996 is on a distinguished road
moto gp style exhaust idea?

well going over some ideas with my dad we are thinking of doing a moto gp style exhaust. i dont think i have ever seen one on a vtr and i want a more unique exhaust than i already have. i just dont know if this will make the bike run bad or what brand i would try. my bike has fast by ferracci pipes in a shotgun mount and sounds so different than every superhawk i have heard. it literally barks, i just think i would miss the sound haha. if i do decide to make a new exhaust i would more than likely be selling this set up below.

basically like this is what i would want to end up like
Old 06-18-2008, 10:37 PM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
When Springbubba bought his, it had what looked like the stock gixxer exhaust on it. He might be able to let you know how it had been done. I think it was ridiculous loud. Here's the thread.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:26 AM
Superstock

sassage is on a distinguished road
how much for yours when you do sell it?
Old 06-19-2008, 07:59 AM
i support twins
Superstock

Originally Posted by sassage
how much for yours when you do sell it?
i couldn't tell you how much i would want yet haha.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:25 AM
v-twin4tmfw
Back Marker

996 is on a distinguished road
I don't think you'll have the clearance that you need unless you convert to a single sided swingarm like in the pic you show. If you look at the post that lhoward mentioned with the GSXR pip, I think the exhaust would scrape when your leaned over in a turn.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:15 PM
SuperSport

haknslash is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134
When Springbubba bought his, it had what looked like the stock gixxer exhaust on it. He might be able to let you know how it had been done. I think it was ridiculous loud. Here's the thread.
Yeah but its just the gixxer tip, not a muffler.

No way I could imagine riding around with a open exhaust on the VTR. Talk about waking up the dead!!
Old 06-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134
I put some D and D's on quick! I posted a few pics of the way it was scabbed together in my gallery if you can find it. I never got the chance to lean over far enough to worry about scraping it. Hell, the sun just came out a few days ago here!

Heres a short vid of the me and my SH before I swapped the exhaust. You can hear it for yourself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV_AiV6KoGY

I actually really liked how clean it looked, but after hearing the rumble the new pipes make, well, the D and D's look just fine.

Last edited by Springbubba; 06-19-2008 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:13 PM
i support twins
Superstock

well with the exception of 996 none of you have heard how loud and barky my pipes are which makes me not want to get rid of them haha. The shotgun look has got old though. 996 my pipes are even louder now then they were before, i dont know what happened but one day they just opened up haha
Old 06-19-2008, 04:20 PM
SuperSport

Hotbrakes is on a distinguished road
I was half way experimenting with building my own Moto GP exhaust as well. I cut the stock mufflers just before the main can where they are tapered out. I got some short baffles and vice gripped them in place and put them on- very loud. Now I have some spuds from a set of Lasers that I may try as they are very restrictive. I also found a machine shop a mile from my house that should be able to attach whatever baffles I choose. I think it will look good except the pipes need some sort of end cap, like a cone shaped piece, but I have no idea how to find something like that...Although my friend has a billet aluminum shop...
pRojeCt 51 has been taking up all my time to mess with the VTR although it hasn't gone neglected.
Does anyone know how much area needs to be open for the VTR to run well? Aftermarket cans are straight through, but the stockers are internally reduced to something fairly rediculous.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:48 PM
Back Marker

Otto Man is on a distinguished road
If you want to get rid of the shotgun set up, LET ME KNOW!! Would love to have that on my hawk.
Old 06-19-2008, 04:51 PM
swinging member
Back Marker

lrrs195 is on a distinguished road
I like your exhaust, its unique and it does have a nasty bark. You shouldn`t have any problem selling it if you do fab another one.
Old 06-19-2008, 06:15 PM
Superstock

FTMS is on a distinguished road
A nasty bark is an understatement!!!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 PM
i support twins
Superstock

haha you guys have to hear it now its (i believe) louder and barkier lol. although i might keep this set up and buy a sv650 next season and put a gp on that
Old 06-19-2008, 07:22 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Thats funny I never used to like shotguns and lately they've grown on me alot. I think you should buy another superhawk to try your exhaust project out on because those FBF's look AWESOME on what you have!
Old 06-19-2008, 07:25 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
One possible option would be to pick up a can or two, depending on what you want, off ebay, shorten them if necessary and either shorten some low mount midpipes or have some custom pipe bent to your liking. Should be easy enough.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:17 PM
i support twins
Superstock

Originally Posted by captainchaos
One possible option would be to pick up a can or two, depending on what you want, off ebay, shorten them if necessary and either shorten some low mount midpipes or have some custom pipe bent to your liking. Should be easy enough.
was thinking of that too, making an undertail exhaust. i might have to hold off on these mods because i think im going to look for an apartment. another SH would be sweet but it would be the same, so i might mod mine later down the road with suspension, color change, and maybe a vfr tank... and a double bubble haha