Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Know what this is?

Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 PM
Uhhhhh..huh.huh..Member..
Superstock

Springbubba is on a distinguished road
Know what this is?

Nice to meet you all. I am very happy to be a new SuperHawk rider. Been riding cruisers for 15 years, and had to give it a shot.

I just bought this 1999 VTR. 6700 miles. $3200. Its in perfect shape. Mostly stock, except this 2 into 1......

Know what this is?-img_2216-2-.jpg

Know what this is?-img_2217-2-.jpg

Know what this is?-img_2218-2-.jpg

All i know for sure is it runs great, and is very loud! I like that people can hear me coming. I am a little worried about cops. I use it to commute 15 miles each way. Sorry about how dirty it is. Got in some rain.

I was just curious if any of you had seen this before, and if you recommend I change it out.

Thanks for looking!
Old 05-01-2008, 11:31 PM
SuperSport

Death Cattle is on a distinguished road
i dont know what it is, but it looks pretty cool. you got a good deal on your bike, nice find. in my opinion, if it sounds great and runs great, then theres no point in changing anything. if i were you, id keep it. if its really obnoxiously loud, then you could consider getting some exhaust with baffles or something like that. but if you dont mind the noise, you might as well keep it.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:32 PM
SuperSport

that or ill trade you for my stock exhaust if you want. i wouldnt have a problem with that.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:35 PM
Superstock

Originally Posted by Death Cattle
that or ill trade you for my stock exhaust if you want. i wouldnt have a problem with that.
The guy gave me the stock cans he took off. I kind of like the high mount look. Need money to start modding......
Old 05-01-2008, 11:38 PM
SuperSport

ya, ive been looking into high mounts myself. im really starting to lean towards the jardine high mounts. im just going to wait until i find a really good deal on something and just get whatever i can find.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 PM
SuperSport

let me know if you ever want to get rid of what you've got on there also
Old 05-01-2008, 11:41 PM
Superstock

Might be awhile but I will keep you in mind. Nighty night.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:45 PM
SuperSport

awesome. thanks. talk to you later
Old 05-01-2008, 11:55 PM
Squid

krcrawford29 is on a distinguished road
San Diego riders to meet this weekend? May 3 or 4

Anyone in the San Diego CA area want to ride this weekend?
Old 05-01-2008, 11:57 PM
Squid

krcrawford29 is on a distinguished road
Sorry, trying to make a new post, guess I don't know how.
Old 05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
SuperSport

go to the main page. click "forum" on the left, choose your category, click on new thread, type, post.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:55 AM
Back Marker

lhoward1134 is on a distinguished road
That looks like the stock GSXR exhaust.

Old 05-02-2008, 03:38 AM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lhoward1134
That looks like the stock GSXR exhaust.

Yea, that's something I would have guessed as well. That or one of the other recent inline four race bikes out there. It really looks like a stock muffler off one of them, and with your pipes setup like that, your bound to be pulled over - period. I own the race version of the Jardine high mounts, as it came that way when I purchased my VTR. But as of today (Friday) UPS is going to be at my door with some dB reduction inserts for me to play with, and I'll post my findings in another thread that is going.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:00 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Yep, my thoughts too, comes from a 2006-2007 GSX-R 600 or 750.
Old 05-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
High mounts look nice but aren't all that great in use. The bend in the pipes gets in the way of your heels on the pegs, and the pipes are in the way of bags if you want to take a trip.

If you're concerned about noise (I am, I hate attracting the attention of the police), Jardine makes a stock mount with "street" baffles and Leo Vince makes a high-mount that has optional silencers so you can run it loud when you want and muffle it a bit for the street. I have the Leo Vince pipes, and I'm slightly sad I didn't get the Jardines because I don't like the high-mounts. Other than the inconvenience, the Leos are very nice.

Oh yeah, about that GSX-R pipe... the actual muffler on those is under the bike, the bit that's on your bike doesn't do much of anything.

Last edited by MotorToad; 05-02-2008 at 07:05 AM.
Old 05-02-2008, 08:37 AM
Superstock

WOW! I never would have guessed that. No wonder it seems so loud....... I can't imagine what the guy I bought it from was thinking.

I guess Ill start reading all of the information about exhaust on this wonderful site, so I can make an informed decision on fixing it.

Thanks for the ID on that thing.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:43 PM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by MotorToad
High mounts look nice but aren't all that great in use. The bend in the pipes gets in the way of your heels on the pegs, and the pipes are in the way of bags if you want to take a trip.

If you're concerned about noise (I am, I hate attracting the attention of the police), Jardine makes a stock mount with "street" baffles and Leo Vince makes a high-mount that has optional silencers so you can run it loud when you want and muffle it a bit for the street. I have the Leo Vince pipes, and I'm slightly sad I didn't get the Jardines because I don't like the high-mounts. Other than the inconvenience, the Leos are very nice.

Oh yeah, about that GSX-R pipe... the actual muffler on those is under the bike, the bit that's on your bike doesn't do much of anything.
You can also get the Two Bros exhaust with silencers now. You should be able to get either low or high mount. I don't have them, so I'm not sure how much they quiet things down. I believe it's the M series pipes, but don't quote me on that.

Last edited by lhoward1134; 05-02-2008 at 09:45 PM.
Old 05-04-2008, 04:31 AM
Squid

MotorToad is on a distinguished road
You can also get the Two Bros exhaust with silencers now. You should be able to get either low or high mount. I don't have them, so I'm not sure how much they quiet things down. I believe it's the M series pipes, but don't quote me on that.
I hope that's something they just came out with. Until recently I worked for an online retailer and when I got the 'Hawk I called Two-Bros themselves, not just their distributor, and asked them what I could do about the pipe being so mind-bendingly loud and if they had something that might muffle it better and they didn't mention anything but a re-packing kit for the pipes I had. Seeing as how that would probably be a two-month solution I opted for new pipes.
Originally Posted by Springbubba
WOW! I never would have guessed that. No wonder it seems so loud....... I can't imagine what the guy I bought it from was thinking.
That's the case a *LOT* of the time... When at said internet retailer I fielded several people a week wanting to know which pipe was loudest. I'd try to subtly ask why they'd want the loudest pipe when all it'd do is make people hate them, give motorcyclists a bad name in general, and call the attention of the police whenever they even threatened to use the throttle, but they really seemed convinced that loud bikes are cooler.

I guess it takes all kinds, but I wish there were fewer of the kind that thought annoying people was fun.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by MotorToad
I hope that's something they just came out with. Until recently I worked for an online retailer and when I got the 'Hawk I called Two-Bros themselves, not just their distributor, and asked them what I could do about the pipe being so mind-bendingly loud and if they had something that might muffle it better and they didn't mention anything but a re-packing kit for the pipes I had. Seeing as how that would probably be a two-month solution I opted for new pipes. That's the case a *LOT* of the time... When at said internet retailer I fielded several people a week wanting to know which pipe was loudest. I'd try to subtly ask why they'd want the loudest pipe when all it'd do is make people hate them, give motorcyclists a bad name in general, and call the attention of the police whenever they even threatened to use the throttle, but they really seemed convinced that loud bikes are cooler.

I guess it takes all kinds, but I wish there were fewer of the kind that thought annoying people was fun.
Here is the Tip. Don't know how much it actually helps. They've had it a while I think with the new cans. The old cans you can't do anything for.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...TR1000-SO.html
Old 05-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Superstock

Verne
Here is the Tip. Don't know how much it actually helps. They've had it a while I think with the new cans. The old cans you can't do anything for.

http://www.twobros.com/cgi-bin/shopp...TR1000-SO.html
Why did you have to show me this!!! I was trying to figure who I could get to make adapters for a set of this off a SV to work. Darn it now I need more money.

Verne
Old 06-28-2008, 12:31 AM
Superstock

2 into 1 gsxr tip

Well, I am getting rid of this thing if you still want it. I was going to put it in the Freebie thread, but you asked for it first. If you want to pay the shipping let me know. If not Ill put it in the Freebie thread.

Know what this is?-img_2291-2-.jpg

Know what this is?-img_2292-2-.jpg
Old 06-28-2008, 03:11 PM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
PM sent..