Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Buell underbelly style exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 10:23 AM
Squid

nrayome2000SH is on a distinguished road
Buell underbelly style exhaust

I want to have a single underside exhaust like Buells or like the new 06-07 GSXR600's. I don't like my D&D slipons very much. Don't like the placement of the pipe by the kickstand so when you put it down your shoe melts on the exhasut pipe. I really want an undersde single exhaust.

Where can I find a shorty, good looking, motorcycle muffler so I can fab this up?

I've been searching and can't find anyhting on the net really.

A friend has a new Gixxer with Leo Vince exhaust I like the way that looks.

Thanks for any info in advance.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:09 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Probably the cheapest way is to buy a lowsided can of your choice off ebay and just shorten it. They go for cheap. I've done a couple and if you're handy they look mint. You can also go with one of the newer "gp" style megaphone/whatever mufflers you see on bikes like the new r6 and gsxr600. You're liable to run into some tuning issues though as I don't think most folks have been happy with single exhausts on this bike.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:29 PM
Squid

motorhall is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
You're liable to run into some tuning issues though as I don't think most folks have been happy with single exhausts on this bike.
Yeah, trying to keep the front and rear header pipes the same length might be more engineering hassle than it's worth.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:51 PM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I seem to be pretty happy with my single exhaust. Plus the bike feels way lighter. I don't feel like I'm getting any obvious power dips in the rpm ranges I use. 2000-7000. Have no idea whether I'm getting max performance, but what I do get is plenty for my riding style. Mild popping on decel in 3rd? Stock filter and jetting.

I suppose you could try and point a short can out from underneath. Anyone got something that will ben 4" pipe? That could get odd. Otherwise, same as above, you need to carefully engineer header pipe lengths.
Old 07-18-2007, 04:47 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Eh, there's not really any room to put a can under the bike. Notice where the pipes come together.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
SuperBike

EngineNoO9 is an unknown quantity at this point
remove the mufflers so you can sound just like the buell too and lose the weight
Old 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM
Squid

Josh what you have, only shorter, is what I had in mind. The same as your setup, stock header pipes and then a muffler only an inch or 2 past the bracket though.

Josh where did you get your muffler? and do they have ones about half as long?

Thanks everyone for the info.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:51 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Like I said it's much cheaper to buy a crashed can and shorten it yourself. I have to look it up but I know at least one company makes cans in 3 different lengths, one being a "shorty." Maybe scorpion, have to look it up later to be sure...
Old 07-19-2007, 07:12 AM
SuperBike

L8RGYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by EngineNoO9
remove the mufflers so you can sound just like the buell too and lose the weight
I've tried that before... more like NASCAR... and ungodly loud...cool sound, but totally unrideable!
Old 07-19-2007, 08:22 AM
Minimal Post
Back Marker

Josh is an unknown quantity at this point
I'd have to agree with the capt on shortening the an exhaust can yourself. That's the cheapest way at least. To work a setup like what I've got, you've also have got to cut the stock header about 2-3" past where they join. That will leave a ~2" OD pipe. So my mid is a ~2" ID (i did a rough measurement, but I didn't have the proper measuring tool to get the exact measurement). You'll have to fabricate the mid pipe as well I think. I bought this 2nd hand, and I'm certain that it didn't come off the shelf. It is possible that someone took a 2" mid pipe for something else and just cut/bent it to fit.

The exhaust can is believed to be a Hindle, but anything that could slip onto a 2" pipe I guess would work.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:23 PM
Squid

Just a wondering if anyone has used a muffler that was made for a car?

I found a nice magnaflow straight through 2.25 ID polished muffler from Summit that I think would look nice. I had magnflow on my Firebird and I liked it a lot.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:52 AM
Squid

futurehawk is on a distinguished road
underbelly possible!

So it IS possible to do a true underbelly exhaust for the S'Hawk like the Buell's. But to do it, first you have to convert to a dry sump system, either by adding a size L oil cooler/tank or fabbing a new swingarm with an internal oil tank like Buell's. (Oil in the swingarm provides damping to prevent rear wheel chatter, they claim) After that it's just about getting the headers to meet at the right length (each) in a place where you can still get enough length and volume to muffle the sound without restricting the power. Probably have to use resonance and reflection to git r done sufficiently. Yeah, driving 240 miles a night at work gives me plenty of time to think...
Now about the dinero to do it, that's another story.