Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Lowering forks??

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 05:43 AM
Squid

Tony919 is on a distinguished road
Lowering forks??

Hi everybody,
I have a question for all the SHawk gurus,
I just installed racetech springs and 5wt oil in my forks, so now my new to me 2001 SHawk sits higher.
Should I lower the forks about 5 or 10mm to go back to the factory height?

Thanks for your help.

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road
You can lower the forks to get the original geometry due to sag, not a problem.
Make sure you measure the exact drop from the upper triple tree with a caliper or similar tool so both forks will be leveled.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2012, 10:00 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
What was your reason for changing the springs? Spring rate is generally only changed to accomodate the weight of the rider, not to sitffen the suspension or prefent bottoming. You want a spring that will allow the proper amount of sag with you on the bike. If it's jacked your ride height way up it sounds like you've got to stiff of a spring. To "stiffen" or "soften" the suspension should always be done with the adjusters, valving, oil weight.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Retired- but not tired!
SuperBike

CrankenFine is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Tony919
Hi everybody,
I have a question for all the SHawk gurus,
I just installed racetech springs and 5wt oil in my forks, so now my new to me 2001 SHawk sits higher.
Should I lower the forks about 5 or 10mm to go back to the factory height?

Thanks for your help.

Tony
Sounds like you should just trim the spacers a bit shorter than you did. When I put new springs in mine I had the opposite problem because I made the spacers just a bit too short, but it was within range of the pre-load adjusters.

Last edited by CrankenFine; 04-18-2012 at 10:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 04-18-2012, 11:08 AM
Squid

The front was to soft, so I went to .95 springs for my weight.
But the bike is now sitting a little bit taller than before, all I want is to get it within factory specs.

Thanks again for your help.

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

By soft do you mean when you sat on it it compressed a ton or the dampening was super soft when you hit bumps or are throwing into the corners?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Squid

I had the preload adjusted all the way and still everytime I hit the brakes harder than normal the bike would dive, also when entering my driveway it felt like is was bottoming out.

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 04:02 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

That sounds more like a damping issue than a spring issue. You need to adjust compression damping and/or go to a heavier weight oil. Preload won't help for this and stiffer springs will just give a harsher ride and still not really help.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
Superstock

speedkelly@aol.com is on a distinguished road
If you guys care to use the search engine, there is lots and lots of great info on setting up the superhawks front forks. Speaking from what little knowledge I have on Superhawk front suspension. Its a fact the stock springs are too weak for most riders? I think it has been said they are rated for 140lbs rider? Which I'm guessing rules out most of us.
Best simple fix (read cheap fix) you do to our stock front forks is change the springs for the correct weight of the rider, do not go more than 7.5wt on the fork oil, 5wt is better. I'll let one of the more knowledge suspension experts chime in about the issues of the front compression & rebound.
As for lowering the forks. For me personally I found that changing the height of the forks more than 3 or 4 millimeters was all I needed to speed up the front end steeering.

Question? when you re-built the front forks with the new springs how much pre-load did you allow for on the spacers? when you screwed the fork cap back on? I think racetech gives you a measurement of 15mm? ( not the length of the spacer) not sure its been a few years since I re-built my front end.

Last edited by speedkelly@aol.com; 04-18-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:49 PM
Banned
MotoGP

8541Hawk will become famous soon enough
What it sounds like to me is the bike is now sitting closer to where it is supposed to be as compared you original set up.

Changing springs won't change the ride height. Not having the proper sag will.

Have you set the sag on the front end? Do you know how to set it?

The first step would be to set the sag. After that is done, then you can fine tune the suspension from there.

Making geometry changes at this time will just cause you more headaches.....
Old 04-18-2012, 07:10 PM
the boss
SuperBike

saige is on a distinguished road
im glad this discussion is going on,i havnt put my forks together yet,only because i needed to order new ones.
so if you put the forks in the factory position,all you have to do is set sag.
when you put the cap back on the forks.what settings should the rebound and compressions be set at.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

With the stock forks there is no compression adjustment.

So after you set the sag, what I do is first turn the rebound adjusters all the way out and "bounce" the front end. This is actually harder than it sounds as you want to push down on the same angle as the forks, not straight down.

Then you want to let the forks rebound but only hold on enough not to drop the bike. You don't want to "control" the bounce on rebound with your hands.

After you get it down and can see the front end bounce at the end of its travel, then turn the adjusters all the way in and try it again. The front end should "hang" at bit and then slowly come up fully.

Now you know everything is working.

At that point you want to back the adjusters out so the forks just come to the top of their travel and stop. If they hang a little, then try 1\2 turn less damping. If the front end bounces, then add 1\2 a turn of damping.

Around 1 1\2 turns out from fully seated is when most stock front ends I've set up seem to like.

Once you get the forks to just come up and stop, then you need to ride the bike and fine tune from there as riding and braking styles will have an effect on the final settings.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Squid

I followed this for the front end,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieDaugherty
I'd suggest 0.90kg/mm springs for your weight. On the street you can't brake hard enough to make a difference, so don't adjust the rate for that.

As for fluid, the SS stuff is what comes in the forks from the factory and is known to be partly to mostly crappy. You should run Honda Pro Oils 5wt - that's the best stuff. As already suggested, revalving the forks is the really the best thing. Don't try to run higher weight to adjust for the stock valving as that just makes things worse and takes you in the opposite direction you want to go. Run the HP 5w and correct springs until you have the scratch to get your valving setup correctly.

I always set VTR forks with a fluid height of 120mm, in case that helps. Good luck!

I'd suggest 0.90kg/mm springs for your weight. On the street you can't brake hard enough to make a difference, so don't adjust the rate for that.

As for fluid, the SS stuff is what comes in the forks from the factory and is known to be partly to mostly crappy. You should run Honda Pro Oils 5wt - that's the best stuff. As already suggested, revalving the forks is the really the best thing. Don't try to run higher weight to adjust for the stock valving as that just makes things worse and takes you in the opposite direction you want to go. Run the HP 5w and correct springs until you have the scratch to get your valving setup correctly.

I always set VTR forks with a fluid height of 120mm, in case that helps. Good luck!

Then I had my suspension set up at a track day by one of the sponsor (the bike worked great), but I was wondering if lowering the forks 5 or 10mm would gain any performance (better cornering).

On the other hand let me tell you, the SHawk is a beast compared to the one it replaced (2005 cbr600rr)

Thanks for all your help and sorry for all the confusion.

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Banned
MotoGP

You can pull up the forks but also beware that the first thing to touch down on a SH is the header in right hand turns under hard cornering.

I would suggest raising the rear first, myself.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:40 PM
the boss
SuperBike

thanks very much for all the info.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:48 PM
Squid

Originally Posted by 8541Hawk
You can pull up the forks but also beware that the first thing to touch down on a SH is the header in right hand turns under hard cornering.

I would suggest raising the rear first, myself.

Thank you for your help, one more ??, how many mm should I raised the rear?

Tony
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 PM
the boss
SuperBike

and im guessing putting in 120mm of fork fluid is the most you should put in with this setup,or does it depend on?
sorry to keep bugging you guys.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Tony
I would start with 5-6mm (or up to 1\4"). Some like more and some less but it is a good starting point.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by saige
and im guessing putting in 120mm of fork fluid is the most you should put in with this setup,or does it depend on?
sorry to keep bugging you guys.
The air gap is mostly noticed at the bottom of the fork travel.
If you bottom out the forks, raise the level until it stops.
If the forks don't use their full travel, then lower the level.

So there is no set answer, just another starting point which you then fine tune to fit your riding style.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:34 PM
SuperBike

NHSH is on a distinguished road

Tony
I believe you can raise it about 5mm at the rear shock if I remember correctly, that will gain you approximately half inch at the rear wheel.

Also, you can drop several millimeters at the forks assuming you have the forks already adjusted to your weight, as it seems you did
Both these adjustments will improve your cornering, but as 8541Hawk had mentioned, you have to be careful not to drop it too much due to the front header.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Snap, Tap or Nap!!!!
Back Marker

00SUPERHAWK is on a distinguished road
Good info here.......subscribed
Old 04-19-2012, 09:42 AM
Squid

Great info,

Thanks.

Tony
Old 04-19-2012, 09:58 AM
Banned
MotoGP

Originally Posted by NHSH
I believe you can raise it about 5mm at the rear shock if I remember correctly, that will gain you approximately half inch at the rear wheel.
It really depends on how the rest of your suspension is set up.
With stock forks (with a fork brace) I ran 1\4" or 6.35mm with no issues.
With the suspension I have now, Ohlins rear & SP2 forks w\Ohlins valves, I run 10mm at the rear.

So don't be afraid to experiment, just do it in small steps until you find what works for you and your riding style.