Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

lowering a SH

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 02:25 PM
Back Marker

W-O-T
lowering a SH

Well.... there is a 'possibility after 4 boys now that my wife wants to get back on a bike.. but she cant touch on the SH... what are my options for the rear... front is a no-brainer....

thanks

BTW... she is 5'1" 101 lbs.... so she is petite and needs a firm foot on the ground to keep things upright... I taught her how to ride on a GSXR 750 ( worked over 860 big-bore)... so the SH is not too much for here
Old 08-29-2005, 07:39 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
You're going to lose clearence but you could always use a shorter shock, (like most of them), and try to keep it equal with the amount you drop the forks. I'm 5'7" and I'm still tippy toed om my hawk, good luck.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Thanks for the input...

I too and 5'7" and tippy-toed...

So the shorter shock may be all thats needed out back?

Do you happen to know which one from a donor bike?

The more info I can find the better....

thanks again...
Old 08-30-2005, 08:41 AM
MotoGP

superbling is on a distinguished road
Re: lowering a SH

There are places that specialize in constructing lowering linkages for the rear and that is the preferred way to do it but $$$.

Using a shorter used shock is much cheaper. The VTR has the longest shock on a modern honda sportbike. THe next shorter is a VFR/CBR XX followed by the CBR9XX series. The CBR600 series (not RR) is probably too short without resorting to a revised upper mount.

Remember: because of the linkage ratio, a little difference in length will mean a big difference in seat height. You can shim the upper mount to tailor it just right.

Other possibities: lowered custom seat, boots with large soles.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:19 AM
Back Marker

W-O-T
Thanks for the references on the shock length.... I may have to play with it a bit to get it right.... time to scout the web for some donors... thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 02:58 PM
MotoGP

superhawk22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: lowering a SH

Originally Posted by superbling";p=&quot
There are places that specialize in constructing lowering linkages for the rear and that is the preferred way to do it but $$$.

Using a shorter used shock is much cheaper. The VTR has the longest shock on a modern honda sportbike. THe next shorter is a VFR/CBR XX followed by the CBR9XX series. The CBR600 series (not RR) is probably too short without resorting to a revised upper mount.

Remember: because of the linkage ratio, a little difference in length will mean a big difference in seat height. You can shim the upper mount to tailor it just right.

Other possibities: lowered custom seat, boots with large soles.
Yeah, what he said. Sorry I was off at school trying to better myself, or at least my paycheck.
Old 02-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Cleveland is on a distinguished road
OK, guys... I went to my shop guy and asked him if he had a VFR shock laying around that he could part with... he did and I did... and it didnt have the same ends in it... It wouldve worked except for that and the dampening adjuster hit the frame...

What years will work? Need specifics.. I'm not in the field and dont know where to start. Cant afford to buy every year and model to verify for myself... so I ask you guys for help? Anyone do this mod successfully?
Old 02-13-2007, 10:10 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
Your best bet for lowering the SH is to have some lowering links machined. I believe they are shorter than stock.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:10 AM
Squid

mr.billet is on a distinguished road
You need a longer link from the motor to the linkage. I make adjustable links for 900RRs all the time. It consists of a billet bearing holder and a threaded heim joint at the linkage. If interested I can make one to fit the superhawk, but it isn't going to be cheap. Looking around $125+shipping.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:55 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Billet... please dont think I am insulting you knowledge, as I have no intention.

Are you sure that a link will work? Won't it hit the exhaust below during the stroke? Or get into the swing arm if too long? I only want an inch or so.. How will it affect the stiffness? Trying to think how the thing works.. seems there is a piece that "cams" over... Wouldnt changing a link cause it to "lock" if over cammed? I have looked at other threads, and people seem to be both ways.. some say link, other no a loink wont work cause of the way the linkage operates... the only lowering solution I didnt see disputed was a new shock from another model.. This is why I ask.

I dont race, just ride the road.. I dont knee drag... though I may get aggressive in some corners..

Billet, I believe there may be enought interest on this board alone for you make a few. I have searched the forums.. found multiple threads where people are asking about lowering the Hawk... most change thier mind when cautioned about the handling and ground clearance issues though...
Old 02-14-2007, 05:30 AM
Squid

mr.billet is on a distinguished road
Other than less ride height, There are no other effects on the suspension. When you mess with the ratio of the triangular peice that the shock mounts to is when you effect the quality of the ride. When I did the swingarm conversion on my bike I played with this part to get a softer ride.

To lower the bike an inch or so the link to the motor only needs to be 1/4-1/2 longer and the links can be made with around 1/2 of adjustment.
Old 02-14-2007, 09:57 AM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Sweet! I'm at work right now.. when I get home I am definitely going to look at this and consider it...

Thanks.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:07 PM
Squid

mak595 is on a distinguished road
When i bought my hawk it had a hagon shock which was 10mm shorter that stock. It was too low for me, so got a penske. Hagon do custom shocks for reasable money, but their in the uk. just a thought..
http://www.hagon-shocks.co.uk/main1st.htm
Old 02-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Post Whore Junior
MotoGP

Oh man... I am in the middle of a divorce... that looks way too technical for me to tackle right now... lol... I need plug-n-play...

Thank you though MAK... I'm sure someone will find this useful.

What'd you do with the shock you had? Out of curiousity.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:11 AM
Squid

mak595 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cleveland
Oh man... I am in the middle of a divorce... that looks way too technical for me to tackle right now... lol... I need plug-n-play...

Thank you though MAK... I'm sure someone will find this useful.

What'd you do with the shock you had? Out of curiousity.

ebay!!
Old 03-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Squid

1quik1 is on a distinguished road
Lowering Link for superhawk

I am also looking for a rear lowering link for my Superhawk. if anyone can assist me with a good brand / price this would be very helpful. i would like to lower the bike approx. 1-1/2" -2". I have a 98' if it matters on application.

Thanks, 1quik1
Old 03-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Squid

PRTSMN is on a distinguished road
well, being a newbie to the bike world (since dec 07). How do you lower the front? they say its easy.