Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Larger fuel capacity in '98

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:30 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

GTS is on a distinguished road
Larger fuel capacity in '98

So I just picked me up a new to me '98 VTR. This is the 2nd one I've had as I sold the first several years ago. The biggest thing I remember I hated about my old one was the fuel capacity sucks so the range is limited to about 100 miles tops. Does anyone make any sort of aux fuel tanks for these? Or IIRC the later ones had larger tanks, are the tanks interchangable?
Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by GTS
So I just picked me up a new to me '98 VTR. This is the 2nd one I've had as I sold the first several years ago. The biggest thing I remember I hated about my old one was the fuel capacity sucks so the range is limited to about 100 miles tops. Does anyone make any sort of aux fuel tanks for these? Or IIRC the later ones had larger tanks, are the tanks interchangable?
This has been covered backwards, forwards and sideways as well as up and down, in about a dozen threads... Go search through them for complete and informative answers...

The short answers... Yes the newer tanks swap over, you need the petcock and some other parts, otherwise bolt on... VFR tanks swap over with some machining of parts... There are larger tanks in composite material available, but they are insanely expensive... No aux tanks known to be manufactured...
Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 PM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Thanks Tweety! After I posted I kind of figured I might get a response like that. I know on some other threads you get the "new guy" asking all the questions that get answered about twice a month! LOL!

I have a friend that builds aux fuel tanks for some Suzuki cruisers. Thought about seeing what he might be able to squeeze in these things but not sure there is really much room for it.

How much more capacity does the newer tanks have? I don't recall the exact specs. It's been awhile. LOL!

Originally Posted by Tweety
This has been covered backwards, forwards and sideways as well as up and down, in about a dozen threads... Go search through them for complete and informative answers...

The short answers... Yes the newer tanks swap over, you need the petcock and some other parts, otherwise bolt on... VFR tanks swap over with some machining of parts... There are larger tanks in composite material available, but they are insanely expensive... No aux tanks known to be manufactured...
Old 04-17-2012, 06:20 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
Not enuff to make a difference.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:27 PM
aja
SuperSport

aja is on a distinguished road
You could do this http://ozfirestorm.proboards.com/ind...y&thread=13601
Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 PM
SuperSport

comedo is on a distinguished road
The 2001 and later Euro/British/Australian et al. tanks hold 19 litres. All stock Canadian and U.S. VTR's have 16 litre tanks.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Old and dangerous
SuperSport
SuperSport

rz_racer_69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by aja
That is one crazy looking tank. I was wondering if something like that was feasible. Don't think I like the looks though.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:40 AM
GTS
Seasoned tech
SuperSport

Yeah it is but it does look like it'd be nice for laying on when on long trips! It looks like they were just modifying stock tanks. I think a little more work could have been done to form it to the contours of the tank a little better.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:02 AM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I think the best method would be to put some thin tanks inside the tail fairing. You could fit an extra gallon in there and plumb it to flow right to the carbs.

Bike magazine had an article on paris dakar bike that had tanks that would fit.

Someday.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Light Cycle Expert
Back Marker

tomzxt is on a distinguished road
I thought about getting some pillow tanks for the tail section and routing them in. I saw smugglers do that for Cessnas on Discovery once.