Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Latest acquisition.....

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 06:07 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Latest acquisition.....

Just picked this up.... it`s a racing rear rotor used on some British Super Sport Triumph 675s (interchangeable with Honda rotor). Weighed it last night, 384g (0.95 lb lighter than stock). It`s only 3mm thick, however (and that is the original thickness as I measured both the wear area and the mounting area).

There is another for sale on UK eBay site if anyone is interested:
Triumph Daytona 675 Street Triple Rear Racing Brake Disc | eBay
Old 02-26-2014, 05:53 PM
MotoGP

.... and then there were none.... eBay rotor is now sold......
Old 02-26-2014, 08:58 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
Lots of racers i've known have shaved their stock rear rotors in half for the track, and also cut them like a wave rotor. The half thickness really drops the weight, and since they aren't used much anyway it doesn't typically hurt anything.

James
Old 02-26-2014, 09:06 PM
SuperSport

jscobey is on a distinguished road
i thought about doing something like this to save weight, and provide a dampening effect on the brakes

Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
I really think thin brake rotors for weight savings is flawed economy. On a racebike, they get replaced often, on a streetbike, that brake can save or cost your life.

My back rotor takes a real beating. No way would I trust anything less robust. Seems like the wrong place to shave weight.
Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 PM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I really think thin brake rotors for weight savings is flawed economy. On a racebike, they get replaced often, on a streetbike, that brake can save or cost your life.

My back rotor takes a real beating. No way would I trust anything less robust. Seems like the wrong place to shave weight.
i agree. i use my rear brake alot so im not trying to drop a couple OZ's there. but some of the guys i ride with hardly ever touch it if at all
Old 02-27-2014, 05:46 AM
MotoGP

I have to admit I was not expecting the rotor to be so thin (was expecting a stock-ish thickness). However, I use my rear brake so very little (practically only for helping to keep me stationary at a traffic light; 99.9% of my braking is with the front) I will give this thing a go; if I don`t like it, off it comes and I`ll just replace it with something else.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:03 AM
MotoGP

Dont use the rear? I never touch it on the racetrack, but 100% it has saved my life at least twice. Tech always requires it (of course)

I rarely if ever use my helmet to protect from an impact but you can bet I will never opt for a thinner, weaker one.

For that, you should swap to a single, super thin front disc. Sounds crazy right? So should the rear swap.
Old 02-27-2014, 09:33 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Dont use the rear? I never touch it on the racetrack, but 100% it has saved my life at least twice. Tech always requires it (of course)
100%?! I'm not even 100% sure I exist!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:02 AM
MotoGP

I rarely if ever use my helmet to protect from an impact but you can bet I will never opt for a thinner, weaker one.

For that, you should swap to a single, super thin front disc. Sounds crazy right? So should the rear swap.
Are you suggesting I should be looking at getting one that is one-inch thick and 14-inches in diameter, along with a 12-piston caliper, with power assist for good measure?

I mean, what do I know anyhow, I have only been riding for 35 years, with over 350,000 kms under my belt.... Oh, and have I mentioned that I have taken a few riding courses and passed with flying colours...

Last edited by mikstr; 02-27-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:04 AM
MotoGP

Originally Posted by jscobey
but some of the guys i ride with hardly ever touch it if at all
you may want to send them Joe`s post.......
Old 02-27-2014, 10:21 AM
SuperSport

I really only use it while downshifting weather it's the track, canyons, street. I don't like trying to grab front brake, while blipping the throttle, and banging a downshift. I much prefer getting my hard braking done then as I let off the front brake I transition to the rear brake, while I make my downshift(s)
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 AM
MotoGP

7moore7 is on a distinguished road
Well I guess I'm proven wrong then! Scobey uses his rear brake and he's alive, Joe uses his and Mikster uses his and they're all alive! 100% success rate!

And now enter the superhawkforum.com symposium of misunderstood personal attacks... muahahahahahaaaaa
Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
Superstock

KCCO is on a distinguished road
Wait... You mean that what that things for? I have just been Fred Flinstoneing it... That'll help with the shoe bill. Thanks guys!
Old 02-27-2014, 10:30 PM
MotoGP

Well, if I posted up and another experienced rider gave an opinion. I would take it under advisement.

Pretty sure thats the reason for forums. Its like a garage session at the track, a good place to hear 2nd & 3rd opinions.

I gave my opinions after seeing the differece in meat on my old wheel and my backup wheel. Alot of rotor thickness difference. That is why I would simply not skimp on brakes.

You dont have to agree, just my 2 cents.

I have been talked out of some ill advised things by my race buddies at the track no matter how much I knew.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:46 AM
MotoGP

well, I don`t have a death wish and will swap it out if it doesn`t feel right......

I don`t claim to know everything or be infallible, but I most certainly am not stupid or negligent.......
Old 02-28-2014, 09:42 AM
MotoGP

I am by far the most prudent, focused and diciplined person I know and still do things that are stupid and negligent occasionaly.

That is how I learned to be so prudent over the years.

BTW, when I switched from a fat galfer race front rotor to a "lightweight" EBC full floater, the diminished thickness caused a huge increase in lever travel and power.

May be less noticeable on the rear but at some point its likely you will be hurtling toward a hard object with only the rear brake to save you and that may be the wrong time to asess its shortcomings.

For me it was in the pouring rain in a hard braking zone in T3 at Loudon. NO front brakes and the wall approaching in a hurry.