Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

HiFlo Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2010, 02:29 AM
SuperSport

residentg is on a distinguished road
HiFlo Air Filter

My 1988 NT650 Hawk (baby Super Hawk) had a K&N filter installed by the PO. The fit was not very good. The generally accepted fix was to use a HiFlo Filter. It is a paper element filter, not washable and cost ~$30. The fit is very good on the Hawk and performs well. I see that they make a filter for the Super Hawk. Does anyone have any experience with it? The PO of me Super Hawk installed a K&N, it seems ok, but I am considering switching based on my Hawk experience. Thank you. JB

Old 04-25-2010, 03:36 AM
Out of my mind, back in 5
MotoGP

Tweety is on a distinguished road
Nope, no Hi-flo as far as I know of... I'd recommend either a stock filter or a BMC street filter with a fairly stock engine... (notice there are BCM race and BMC street)

The BMC's are like the K&N cleanable and give better airflow than the stock, but the BMC race and the K&N flows to much giving problems with jetting... Where as the BMC street doesn't as far as I have found... Both the BMC's also have moulded in caps for the small areas in the airbox...

I have made this recommendation in numerous threads, where people have had problems with or couldn't get the results they expected with the K&N
Old 04-25-2010, 03:55 AM
SuperSport

Thanks Tweety, I saw those threads and I agree with them. I was wondering about the HiFlos, I have not seen any mention of them on the forum. I have a K&N now, I do not know if it is street or race. It all works well, perhaps a bit on the rich side from the PO. He had the dealer install a jet kit (unknow type) when he had the K&N and D&Ds installed. The D&Ds have been replaced with Staintunes. As I said it all runs well enough, but I am uncomfortable with the "unknown" jet kit thing. I have a Factory-1 in my Hawk which hit the mark, so I will probably do the same on the Super Hawk. Thank you. JB
Old 04-25-2010, 03:58 AM
MotoGP

The K&N comes in race only AFAIK and setting the jetting rich is kind of the only fix to the jetting difficulties it introduces...

Agreed, unknown is not a "problem" but it kind of feels like a stone in an otherwise comfortable shoe... To me at least...
Old 04-25-2010, 04:15 AM
SuperSport

Originally Posted by Tweety
The K&N comes in race only AFAIK and setting the jetting rich is kind of the only fix to the jetting difficulties it introduces...

Agreed, unknown is not a "problem" but it kind of feels like a stone in an otherwise comfortable shoe... To me at least...
OK - that makes sense. So you think my best option is the BMC with a Factory-1?

I feel like that guy in the beginning of Dirty Harry, "I gotta know...", now that guy had a problem! JB
Old 04-25-2010, 04:23 AM
MotoGP

BMC street filter and whatever jet kit you prefer... I have fiddled with most of them and they all work kind of the same, different markings and such but once you get them dialed in the result is the same... On my bike I use keihin parts for the different size jet/pilot and just small shims on the needle... Just because I have them lying around, not cuz they are better... (I managed to get a whole pile of them and lots of tools when a local bike dealership went belly up and sold of inventaries)
Old 04-25-2010, 05:32 AM
SuperSport

OK cool, thanks. I will report back when I do this. Not critical since it runs pretty well, but I want to do it. JB
Old 04-25-2010, 10:55 AM
JAMES
Superstock
Superstock

Pimpsterbim1 is on a distinguished road
Hi Flo makes a superhawk filter, i have one laying arround. I never took it out of the package, because i have a bmc, but it looks realy good for the price.