Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Hey RC Front End Guys.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 06:14 PM
SuperSport

SlowHAWK is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey RC Front End Guys.....

Hey all...

Still progressing on the slowest front end swap ever.... anyway... I have measured my forks 4 times, and the RC's a 1" shorter than the stockers... (Although some claim they are the same length). Can anyone else measure their RC forks for me so I know if mine are odd for some reason....

What I have is....

Stock VTR- 30.5 inches from axle center to "partline" between upper slider and fork cap.
RC Forks... 29.5 inches from axle center to "partline" between upper and fork cap..

I've opened the forks up, and they are SP-1's so there isn't a top out spring shortening them up... just curious to what others are measuring so I know if I have something weird going on.

Thanks... J.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator
World Champion

Hawkrider will become famous soon enoughHawkrider will become famous soon enough
The top out spring is inside the cartridge. All Showas have them, just not obvious at first sight. The RC51's are long, but not as long as RR bikes. Way to tell is to adjust preload max and min and take measurements for both. Also, keep in mind that the gull-wing-shaped upper triple will account for some of that lost length.
Old 04-09-2007, 07:17 PM
SuperSport

Yeah I'm not too worried about getting the forks in the right spot, as there seems like there is plenty of fork to get it where I need it... but more worried about the getting clipons in the right area if I have to use the lower 954 upper triple and mount the clipons below... thats is my only concern. (as of now!!!!)

Also, just wanted to verify there wasnt funny with my forks as I've read many say the RC's are the same length as the VTR stockers... but when I measured, that wasnt true.

J.
Old 04-09-2007, 08:11 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Hey J shoot me a pm so I remember-I'm about go to sleep and the bike's buried in the garage-I'll measure what I've got for you wednesday morning(sorry working and class from 7am to 11pm tomorrow). I have it where the ride height was about if not exactly what it was before and the clip ons cleared the fairing perfect when I test fit them up.

Last edited by captainchaos; 05-23-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:40 AM
ole dirty bastard
SuperSport

hawxter996 is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by SlowHAWK
Hey all...

Still progressing on the slowest front end swap ever.... anyway... I have measured my forks 4 times, and the RC's a 1" shorter than the stockers... (Although some claim they are the same length). Can anyone else measure their RC forks for me so I know if mine are odd for some reason....

What I have is....

Stock VTR- 30.5 inches from axle center to "partline" between upper slider and fork cap.
RC Forks... 29.5 inches from axle center to "partline" between upper and fork cap..

I've opened the forks up, and they are SP-1's so there isn't a top out spring shortening them up... just curious to what others are measuring so I know if I have something weird going on.

Thanks... J.
I am in the middle of same swap myself.
and yes rc forks are shorter,I mentioned that in an earlier post.
not short enough to cause any probs though.
like Greg said if you use 954 upper clamp you should be right in the same
ride height as stock.
me im using rc clamps with woodcraft clipons under the tree.
going for a more race oriented feel along with rc swing arm swap.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:37 AM
SuperSport

Thanks for the replies...

I agree, no worry getting the forks where they need to be with either a RC or 954 upper triple.... but after reading so many say the forks are the "same" length, then measuring an inch difference, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't crazy and forks were cool.

I actually have a set of Ducati SS helis showing up today.. they look like they have ALOT of rise to them, I'm looking to mount under the triple as well, but keep the barheight as close to stock, or even a little higher if possible. (I had VFR clipons on my bike prior to the swap, they were much better on my back and bad wrist than the stock clipons.)

J.

J.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:25 PM
Back Marker

KC-10ENG is on a distinguished road
Hey J,

It looks like I started something when I emailed you about the fork length. I will have to measure my VTR forks when I get them off of the bike. Here are some pics of the stuff that I have collected to date. I want to thank everyone that has assisted me so far.

Dennis
Old 04-10-2007, 06:35 PM
SuperSport

Hahaha KC.... don't worry... wont hold you responsible for driving me crazy!!!!

I actually knew there was a difference on the forks for awhile..... but I was doing my final measurement of where the old forks/axle was located prior to knocking the old bearing cups out for the tapered bearings... and when I measured a inch differecne just couldn't resist asking if others were short as well.

J.