Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

header

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:26 AM
Back Marker

super duper hawk is on a distinguished road
header

Does any one know if someone makes an aftermarket header pipe for vtr?
Old 11-03-2009, 01:50 AM
SuperBike

Wicky is on a distinguished road
Here in the UK Stainless Steel

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VTR1000-VTR-10...c#ht_861wt_941
Old 11-03-2009, 05:25 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

captainchaos is on a distinguished road
Makes or made? Off the top of my head Moriwaki & Yoshimura used to make a full exhaust. I think you can still get the Akrapovic full exhaust. Also Two Brothers made a header as well. I have a Two Brothers header, and the nice thing about it is it has the same outlets as stock so you can bolt up any pair of slip ons to it. The Akrapovic I've been told can only be used as a full system-other brands of slip ons won't fit up to it. Don't know about the Yoshimura. There are probably a few others. Good luck finding one now it's usually going to be a used one on ebay or here. I don't think there is much to be gained performance-wise unless you have internal engine mods.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Wicky
They advertise that the stock header is steel. I was under the impression that the stock header was stainless. It's just not polished smooth from the factory. I've sanded and polished several of them, and once you do they're much easier to keep clean. I've never seen a stock header rust through-it's only corrosion that forms on the surface because people never clean it or don't know how to clean it properly. I've seen plenty of rusty steel pipes on cars, etc, and the stock header does not rust through like steel does. No matter how nasty it gets you can easily wet sand it to clean metal again.

Last edited by captainchaos; 11-03-2009 at 05:34 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

And not to bust your ***** but the search function works wonders. It's alot easier than having to wait for replies.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Squid

Rock is on a distinguished road
I would kill for a set of Yosh or Moriwaki headers, well not really, but I seem to be terrible at finding any on ebay.
Rock
Old 11-04-2009, 08:00 PM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by Rock
I would kill for a set of Yosh or Moriwaki headers, well not really, but I seem to be terrible at finding any on ebay.
Rock
You're not terrible there just haven't been any. I can't remember the last time I saw one for sale. About a year ago a local guy on ebay was selling his superhawk with a full yoshi race system (Mmmmm...) and didn't get his price. I offered to buy it off him but he wasn't interested. Said he could get me a new one for like 2k LOL I said yeah ok....
Old 11-05-2009, 12:57 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
Smile

I've had a full race headers system hanging in my workshop for some time now, but am at a loss to find out the manufacturer despite extensive research.
All I can tell you is that the pipes are all a considerably larger bore than standard, and that the whole thing is held together with 8-10 retaining springs.
Perhaps if I post some pics, someone will recognise it???
Old 11-05-2009, 03:10 AM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jonesey
I've had a full race headers system hanging in my workshop for some time now, but am at a loss to find out the manufacturer despite extensive research.
All I can tell you is that the pipes are all a considerably larger bore than standard, and that the whole thing is held together with 8-10 retaining springs.

Do that, one of us may know what it is.

As for Moriwaki, mine will only suit the Moriwaki mufflers, as the design is not similar to OEM. I have Staintune mufflers, but custom pipes to make them fit.

Here they are disassembled, after being ceramic coated.They are Ti, not stainless.

Name:  IMG_0184.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  90.9 KB
Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Back Marker

RonVTR
Originally Posted by captainchaos
I have a Two Brothers header, and the nice thing about it is it has the same outlets as stock so you can bolt up any pair of slip ons to it.

I can confirm that the Two Bros header works with Staintune highmounts.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Squid

ody85 is on a distinguished road
im having mine custom made by my friend. he could make u one if u want his number.
Old 11-30-2009, 07:48 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by jonesey
I posted a few pics of my full Akrapovic system in my album. Have a look but I suspect given the number of springs it may be an Akra system (as the entire system is held together solely by springs, there are no clamps of any kind at the joints).
Old 11-30-2009, 07:51 AM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by captainchaos
About a year ago a local guy on ebay was selling his superhawk with a full yoshi race system (Mmmmm...) and didn't get his price. I offered to buy it off him but he wasn't interested.
I tried the same thing on a couple of Craigslist sellers, one for a full Yoshi, the other for a full M4 (never seen one but based on what Shayne says, this is THE set-up to get) but was told they were not interested. I eventually got wind of a full Akra sysetm on teh German eBay site (thanks to Peter, aka Firestorm 996, and what an adventure that purchase turned out to be, lol)
Old 11-30-2009, 10:41 AM
jonesey
Squid

jonesey is on a distinguished road
having read mik's last post, there's a good chance that the system i have is an akrapovic.
As soon as i figure out how to post pics, I'll get them on here to see if they can be identified!!
Old 12-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
Out of curiosity would there be a power gain with the addition of an after market engine pipe? Say for example you get "X" hp from cans and a jet. What about if you did can,engine pipe and jet? Worth the bucks?
Old 12-30-2009, 06:47 AM
SuperSport

Stevebis1 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Storm
Out of curiosity would there be a power gain with the addition of an after market engine pipe? Say for example you get "X" hp from cans and a jet. What about if you did can,engine pipe and jet? Worth the bucks?
If you are strictly looking for horse power then there is little that is "worth the bucks" on the SHawk. Just not a lot of easy HP to grab.
Slipons are more for sound and style and the Jetting (shim or kit) is to smooth the power band more than raise it.
Certainly these things improve the driveability, just don't expect more than 10 additional HP without diving bigtime into the engine
Old 12-30-2009, 07:50 AM
evil man of nothing
MotoGP

Originally Posted by mikstr
the other for a full M4 (never seen one but based on what Shayne says, this is THE set-up to get)
I don't doubt it. I'd love to see what their superhawk header looks like. I picked up a full stainless/carbon M4 system for my sv650 project for $50 (thanks to the seller for removing the emblem off the can ) off ebay recently and the design is so much cooler than the stock header. All the other aftermarket systems look just like the stock header, but the M4 is stepped with larger diameter pipes and the bends are completely different-a really nice piece.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:59 PM
Its A fire, Its A Storm!
Squid

Storm is on a distinguished road
Thats true. In a perfect world we would all have a spare $$$ sitting around for mods and so on..
Old 12-30-2009, 03:25 PM
MotoGP

nuhawk is on a distinguished road
I don't think resurrecting old systems is the answer to the current need. Welding equipment/methods/trained welders have improved incredibly over the last ten years. Now if you can team him up with a talented fitter I think they would be busy everyday. I would hunt around the exhaust shops and see what I could find. C-note and a 6-pack find you friends!