Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

GSXR mod

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Back Marker

NAVY8TR is on a distinguished road
GSXR mod

I've done some searching on the topic and decided to do the front caliper/MC swap for a 00 generation GSXR 1000. which got me thinking...will the rear brake set up of the same generation GSXR fit the hawk as easily? Is the mod worth $45?
Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 PM
SuperSport

shayne is on a distinguished road
The rear brake is good enough, so I would not bother. I also think you will find that it would not fit anyway.

Good pads and lines on your rear caliper should be good enough, it is for me anyway.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
Don't bother for the rear, all you'll do is make it a tad easier to lock up. Good on a Motard, not so much on a sport bike.
Old 09-09-2009, 04:39 AM
Back Marker

thanks for the recommendation guys
Old 09-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Back Marker

I won a bid on ebay for a full front set up off a 01 GSXR 1000 for $125. that is; calipers, pads, lines (that i won't be using), MC, and reservoir. I'm psyched to put them on after hearing all they great things you guys have said about this upgrade!!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:16 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
Just installed 929 MC and '01 GSX-R 1000 6 pots three days ago.

I just got done installing my '01 CBR 929 MC along with the '01 GSX-R 1000 6 pot calipers three days ago - both from eBay. I went with EBC HH pads ($84). The MC cost me ~$60 shipped to me, and the calipers were $105 shipped. I'm being very careful about breaking them in, but even as it all stands I think that I'll be going with the SS braided lines soon with double banjo bolt bleed nipple thingy for the MC from Goodridge when I do so. At the time of all of this happening I'll flush everything with Motul 600 (Did I get the name right?) brake fluid (Got it as a gift - I'd never spend such money on something like that, but very grateful none the less.).
Maybe I should have given the GSX-R 1000 MC a try, but there wasn't much to be offered here and there when I looked. So whatever. As it stands, there is definately a difference, but with this mod' I've done, clearly there is more level pull there than with the stock setup - naturally however, there is clearly a difference in the available stopping ability. I'm taking my time being gentle with them for the time being as I want a really healthy break in. But this cost me $260 or something so far and when I'm done with the SS lines and the banjo bolt bleed nipple... ...jeesh. I dunno. I got other things I need to spend my money on.
In addition, when I tear everything down for the SS and Motul install/flush I may even replace the piston gaskets on the calipers. I think one of them may be a lil' sticky (Retracts to much) - maybe at least one on each caliper.
(***For those of you who had helped me along with my "lack of engine power" issue the other month - I'm here and alive and haven't forgotten about looking into my cylinder compression test I need to do. I'm on summer break and intend to get to that issue before I head back to class in a week and a half - hopefully.)

-Spaz
Old 09-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
When you finish properly bleeding that system, you're going to barely touch the lever and lock the front wheels up.
Old 09-13-2009, 09:32 PM
MotoGP

lazn is on a distinguished road
It sounds like you still have an air bubble in there, that or a bad match between MC and caliper sizes.. With ebc hh pads on my F4i setup I barely have to move the lever at all to lock up the front wheel.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:25 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
I'm running the six pot calipers and an '01 RC-51 MC, SS lines, HH pads, OEM disks, Fresh 5.2 fluid..... Not overly impressed. I'm quite positive I do not have air in the system.. Brake level is positive in feel, but a litttle soft and just overall does not have the bite needed. No fade which is nice on sprited rides, but not the two finger stoppies I was looking for.

Next up.. new MC from a ??????? Well thats the decision.. I'll spend the next few weeks looking for an option on Ebay
Old 09-14-2009, 08:24 PM
Back Marker

Spaz' is on a distinguished road
I agree w/ TXSuperChicken

Quoting TXSuperChicken, “Not overly impressed.”

Yea, even at the state I'm in with my mod' I have to agree. I think it's the much larger volume of fluid we're trying to push in with our extra large calipers despite our large 19mm MC pistons getting it (the fluid) there to the pads.
I may have to burp the banjo's sometime soon here to see if I get any air to come out, but I think I've done a more than fair job bleeding those things with my MightyVac wanna be thing from Harbor Frieght. The lever is positive in feel and is definitely an upgrade but perhaps going with the F4 calipers is the better option for some. For myself however, I'm happy with my stuff and will continue forward with the SS and bleed nipple banjo install at some point down the road, and more than likely a complete piston seal replacement all the way around on both calipers. This has been a significant investment in this mod', but I've had fun with it and enjoy my upgrade none the less and only places resale value in the bike.
However there may be those out there who favor the F4 caliper setup instead. We (us 6 pot caliper guys/gals) have that added surface area from our pads to enjoy. It's all a matter of taste. But indeed, the GSX-R 6-pot caliper investment is significant. Like I said, even at this point I'm $260 into it.
***Oh, and yes, I have OEM disks on mine too, but running BelRay DOT 4 for the time being before I get the SS lines; then I'll put the Motul 600 in. …...And teflon taping the bleed nipples for sure.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:46 AM
Sexual Daredevil
SuperSport

Location: Mother Earth- orbiting around Charlotte, NC. But now over the border in S.C.
motojoe is an unknown quantity at this point
I did the swap a few weeks ago and recommend getting new pads. This will aid mating your pads to your disc. Adding SS lines will improve the feel as you won't feel the spongy-ness of stock lines. While I did get the GSXR MC with my set up, I have yet to install it. May be that will be a winter project as I have several other things on my plate now.
Attached Thumbnails GSXR mod-stock-fr.-brakes.jpg   GSXR mod-gixxer-fr.-brakes.jpg  
Old 09-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
New pads and some rebuild parts for the 6pot calipers have been orderd.. I'll add that and some new fluid when I get home,,,, if it works, great, if not, I'm changing MC.