Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

GSXR mirror conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:15 PM
MotoGP

smokinjoe73 is on a distinguished road
GSXR mirror conversion

So I have been running cbr900 mirrors for years. They are nice & narrow and I installed surface LED running/ turn lights.

But I decided to try to adapt gixr mirrors with the built in lights. They are a totally different angle so it took some hacksaw machining to make adapters.

I like the width and the new lights are really noticeable. (I wired them for running and turn)

The new mirrors are cool cuz they easily fold flat for lane splitting and garaging. Plus when I am turning oncoming traffic cant miss my intentions.

First pic is the old mirrors.
Attached Thumbnails GSXR mirror conversion-eclipsebags-018.jpg   GSXR mirror conversion-2012phncard-045.jpg   GSXR mirror conversion-2012phncard-047.jpg   GSXR mirror conversion-2012phncard-051.jpg   GSXR mirror conversion-2012phncard-052.jpg  

Old 10-10-2012, 09:54 PM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Looks Good and VERY noticeable. Do the mirror lights come with the 3 wire connection or did you have to run the wire your self?
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 PM
MotoGP

Actually, I had already done the 3 wire (stock) to 2 wire LED using diodes. I had posted the procedure on here before. Its pretty easy. Here is a link Convert 2 wire signals to 3 Wire Inputs - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners
Old 10-11-2012, 01:54 AM
Superstock

Squid is on a distinguished road
Nice! I have to print this out. When I get home I will be doing something similar, Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:50 PM
Squid
Squid

SXRguyinMA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
So I have been running cbr900 mirrors for years. They are nice & narrow and I installed surface LED running/ turn lights.

But I decided to try to adapt gixr mirrors with the built in lights. They are a totally different angle so it took some hacksaw machining to make adapters.

I like the width and the new lights are really noticeable. (I wired them for running and turn)

The new mirrors are cool cuz they easily fold flat for lane splitting and garaging. Plus when I am turning oncoming traffic cant miss my intentions.

First pic is the old mirrors.
Sorry for the thread necro but do you have any measurements on the adapters? I've got a set of mirrors here and I'm going to machine some aluminum ones. All I need really is the angle from the fairing to the GSXR mirror if possible. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:55 PM
MotoGP

I am not running them anymore but if I can find them I will give you the angle in degrees. They are around somewhere.

I have to warn you that if you do a similar design to what I did, aluminum wont be strong enough to ever see anything solid in the mirrors.

Even with the steel I used it was iffy. (unless you machine a wedge block from billet that is)
Old 02-15-2016, 06:56 PM
Squid
Squid

SXRguyinMA is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by smokinjoe73
I am not running them anymore but if I can find them I will give you the angle in degrees. They are around somewhere.

I have to warn you that if you do a similar design to what I did, aluminum wont be strong enough to ever see anything solid in the mirrors.

Even with the steel I used it was iffy. (unless you machine a wedge block from billet that is)
Yea I'm planning on machining them from a solid block and then powdercoating them. Thanks again!
Old 02-23-2016, 07:18 AM
SuperBike

skokievtr is on a distinguished road
Joe,

Can you provide info on your hand guards and some photos from 3 angles; i.e., manufacturer, mounting details / sketch, and top, side and end views?

Thanks
Old 02-23-2016, 08:43 AM
MotoGP

This is similar to what I have. The bracket replaces the back half of the brake and clutch mount. I had to drill an extra hole for the bottom bolt to have correct spacing.

Arctic Cat New Hand Wind Guard Handlebar Deflectors Pair Orange 6639 378 | eBay

It takes a bit of fiddling and I recommend using zip ties for the plastic to bracket connection since it creates a break away point for when (not if) you walk by the bike and bash the hand guard with your hip.

Cant find ones exactly like mine right now but this mounting kit should work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Powermadd-Ha...xWJSJa&vxp=mtr
I only paid $35 for mounting kit and plastic guards together so shop around.

These are by a HUGE margin the one thing that allows you to ride when its cool or cold comfortably and safely.

Last edited by smokinjoe73; 02-23-2016 at 08:49 AM.
Old 02-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Not Realy A Squid
Squid

waltr is on a distinguished road
Cant find ones exactly like mine right now but this mounting kit should work.
Just a heads up that these will not work with the stock bars and fairing.

I was also looking at Joe's setup but could not find the same ones he has. I bought these and they would not clear with any reasonable setup. I ended up remaking the main bracket shorter so the lug on the end just clears the lever pivot. The lug also only has one hole now. I also put a good bend in the bracket to get them to work.

They fit fairly well now but do hit the fairing before full lock. They are a help but not as much as I had hoped.

I just wanted to let anyone that might want to try these that they require work. It was not too big of a deal but I make prototypes for a living with access to a machine shop including a water jet. If you have limited fabrication capability they may not work out so well.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:33 PM
MotoGP

Yes, come to think of it, mine did not just jump onto the bike either. I had to cut the forward jutting arm and re drill it. I also used my own steel to support the face of the guards so it could be bent to position.

Now they fit without hitting at full lock.

You need to experiment on wind flow. I did this by careful rides up my street in winter with no gloves until I buffeted almost all the flow with just the right angle.

YMMV
Old 02-25-2016, 03:55 AM
Administrator
MotoGP

E.Marquez is on a distinguished road
If you're realllllly looking for cold weather riding gear to protect hands.... these work, ugly but work
TT | Hippo Hands LLC