Modifications - Performance Discuss aftermarket and DIY performance modifications

Front fork ideas

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 05:30 PM
Led Sled
Squid

Ariola is on a distinguished road
Front fork ideas

I've read through the fork swap thread on here and I have to admit, it was a little confusing. In all honesty I'd rather be out riding than reading through all the technicalities of a fork swap. With respect to all those who contributed to the very informative thread and your in depth knowledge of all those combinations; I just want to know what is the best option for fork replacement or upgrade to my 2000 VTR? I'm currently having some leaking in the front forks, hence the reason I'm asking. I'm considering just rebuilding the stock fork or maybe finding out which other fork from other manufacturers will just drop in. Any help will greatly be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails Front fork ideas-win_20150906_131026.jpg   Front fork ideas-win_20150906_131100.jpg   Front fork ideas-win_20150906_131125.jpg   Front fork ideas-win_20150906_131149.jpg   Front fork ideas-win_20150906_131158.jpg  

Old 11-12-2015, 07:28 PM
SuperSport

matt365 is on a distinguished road
no point in "just dropping in" another 41mm fork. Might as well just replace the seals in your stock forks. If you find them undersprung, drop in springs to suit your weight & new fork oil. Go thicker on the oil if you're a bit of a heavyweight, or go the next step up and change out the valving with a gold valve emulator.

Other than that, start looking for compatible forks, triples, bearings, etc... The fork swap threads say it better then I ever could.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:04 PM
SuperBike
SuperBike

thedeatons is on a distinguished road
I recently did a thread on a cheap suspension upgrade... Used springs from another bike that suit my weight, and "Roger'd" my forks... Totally transformed them, and i haven't even changed the fork oil yet!

The stock forks are decent for most riders, unless you need full adjustability.

James
Old 11-12-2015, 08:11 PM
MotoGP

mikstr is on a distinguished road
A fork brace works very well too (a nice complement to a decent set up)....
Old 11-12-2015, 08:46 PM
Back Marker

Stephan is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by mikstr
A fork brace works very well too (a nice complement to a decent set up)....
I wouldn´t say so, fork brace on upgraded forks doesn´t help much from my experience.

This made difference on my bike, it is actually for old blade forks, but solving the same problem for vtr forks, what is flexing steel lower triple.

But to be honest, easier way is just to swap for USD forks at the beginning, or it can be option for those who did expensive upgrade on stock forks already as I did :-)

Old 11-13-2015, 10:33 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
Beautiful lower triple Stephan!!!

When you get that original lower triple off and into your hands, you will recognize what a lump of ____ Honda used on our bikes.

Last edited by Hangfly; 11-13-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-13-2015, 10:41 AM
Superstock

Hangfly is on a distinguished road
"....or maybe finding out which other fork from other manufacturers will just drop in."

If you don't wish to carefully study the fork replacement thread, you may be destined to repeat other's mistakes needlessly. It's not rocket science, but have a plan for exactly what you are doing before you buy a single part.
Then post your plan for others here to review. That will likely save you money and time.
Many use the CBR1000RR front end. But you will need to raise the "clip ons" and move the radiators back an inch. Figure $1,500, unless you are craftier than me. Which shouldn't be hard.
Old 02-26-2016, 11:53 PM
Squid

3stars is on a distinguished road
where'd you get that triple no point showing off if you don't share the love
Old 02-27-2016, 03:40 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
Yeah Stephan,

Where would one get that lower triple?

Judging by your location sourcing it would be a nightmare for me down under here in Oz with current exchange rates, however if you happened to have a CAD drawing that would be a big help.

One of my biggest frustrations in owning a VTR is the lack of readily available parts for improvements to the bike.

The lower triple on these bikes looks like it should have been on something that was made in the 50's. A true piece of budget engineering driven by an accountant in a back room somewhere in the Honda Head Office.

Shame Shame Shame!
Old 02-27-2016, 04:28 AM
Back Marker

Hi Ken, I cannot pass CAD drawing, it is not my property, friend of mine did it for me. More via PM ...
Old 02-27-2016, 04:47 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Stephan
Hi Ken, I cannot pass CAD drawing, it is not my property, friend of mine did it for me. More via PM ...
So, then, how may the rest of us, perhaps, attain one?
Old 02-27-2016, 04:59 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by Aquasnake
So, then, how may the rest of us, perhaps, attain one?
from me, but it is not bargain, price would be somewhere at 200 gbp equivalent, maybe cheaper, not more. See the link posted on uk forum.

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - feeler: New billet lower triple + stem
Old 02-27-2016, 08:28 AM
Back Marker

Aquasnake is on a distinguished road
from me, but it is not bargain, price would be somewhere at 200 gbp equivalent, maybe cheaper, not more. See the link posted on uk forum.

www.vtr1000.org ? View topic - feeler: New billet lower triple + stem
Thanks, Stephan!
Old 02-27-2016, 10:15 AM
SuperSport

NZSpokes is on a distinguished road
To the OP. Just rebuild the stock forks. And rodger them. It is pointless fitting bigger/better forks to a 20 year old designed frame.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:30 AM
Who are you?
SuperSport

Just_Nick is on a distinguished road
If you can get USD front forks and wheel for cheap, go for it. Mine are significantly more rigid, offer better braking (thanks to the GSXR calipers and rotors), and has less brake dive. And it looks cooler, because looks matter. The Superhawk has pretty good brakes, even with the extra lever travel that the setup has, but the GSXR calipers put the stock brakes to shame.

That being said, with a limited budget it is smarter to simply rebuild and revalve the stock setup.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:45 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
To the OP. Just rebuild the stock forks. And rodger them. It is pointless fitting bigger/better forks to a 20 year old designed frame.
I have to disagree. I rebuilt stock forks with racetech springs and compresiion valves, together with tapered rebound rods, put Coerce brace there. Next stage were 95 blade forks again with ratetech compression, tapered rebound rods and ohlins springs.

But when I installed new lower triples, difference was amazing even on short ride. I try to be honest and not to lie to myself, but of course my feeling can be misleading.
The frame is still up to date, just this steel lower triples sucks. I bet this is the main upgrade when somebody instal new USD forks.
Old 02-27-2016, 02:57 PM
SuperSport

I have to disagree. I rebuilt stock forks with racetech springs and compresiion valves, together with tapered rebound rods, put Coerce brace there. Next stage were 95 blade forks again with ratetech compression, tapered rebound rods and ohlins springs.

But when I installed new lower triples, difference was amazing even on short ride. I try to be honest and not to lie to myself, but of course my feeling can be misleading.
The frame is still up to date, just this steel lower triples sucks. I bet this is the main upgrade when somebody instal new USD forks.
Cant say I notice tons of flex in mine. Its gold valves etc. And a brace. Our roads are quite rough and Im not light. And I more than keep up with most bikes. Except a Busa in a straight line....

Brakes are brilliant as well.

And Jamie in the UK had a fix for the flex, fit an old top clamp under the lower clamp.......
Old 02-27-2016, 10:34 PM
Back Marker

NZSpokes: I never feeled flex in the forks, new triples help precise cornering and front end is more planted.
You can have completely stock bike and never discover you have some issue. Unless you try better bike.

Regarding Jamie's two clamp mod, what to say ... Not the way I would go, and I believe he wouldn't do it again It is totally uncomparable.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:01 PM
SuperSport

NZSpokes: I never feeled flex in the forks, new triples help precise cornering and front end is more planted.
You can have completely stock bike and never discover you have some issue. Unless you try better bike.

Regarding Jamie's two clamp mod, what to say ... Not the way I would go, and I believe he wouldn't do it again It is totally uncomparable.
Ive ridden full race Gixxers, R1s etc.

Im not against fork swaps where needed. I swapped the forks out on my dirt bike as its stock forks were terrible. KDX200 and fitted KX125 USDs. Brilliant.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 AM
Back Marker

Originally Posted by NZSpokes
Ive ridden full race Gixxers, R1s etc.

Im not against fork swaps where needed. I swapped the forks out on my dirt bike as its stock forks were terrible. KDX200 and fitted KX125 USDs. Brilliant.
I didn't want to say you don't know better bikes as you are experienced biker, you just don't believe firestorm front can be better
Old 02-29-2016, 12:15 AM
SuperBike

kenmoore is on a distinguished road
I'm lucky in the respect that I have owned other bikes while the VTR has been in my possession. All have had USD forks and maybe that is why I want a "better" front end.

Unlike others I want to keep the standard look as I like it, I just don't want flex under hard braking and I want that planted feel as well.

I ride with a bunch of different people and find at higher speeds that I am pushing the envelope so to speak.

I have always thought that the lower triple was a part of the problem and have many upgrades to my forks including a brace and can't help but feel that the part Stephan is offering is the end solution to my needs.

Time to start saving! The price is right that's for sure.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:31 AM
SuperSport

I didn't want to say you don't know better bikes as you are experienced biker, you just don't believe firestorm front can be better
I think economically it is more than the bike warrants. To be fair its low HP and will never be a stunning handling bike. With the stock forks sorted and a decent shock in the back its a fun road bike with enough power.

Dont get me wrong I love mine and Im proud of it. And it wont ever be sold. But its not a Gixxer eater.

Im considering a Tuono V4 as well.